LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Dashon Goldson: Age 27

Carlos Rogers: Age 30

Look at the #'s folks. I'd rather take the risk of an uncovered Rogers. He has 1 - 2 years of really good play left (Rogers). Goldson may have 5 - 6. He's an absolute ball hawk out there. He catches every tipped pass. He hits like a truck. His instincts and angles he takes are outstanding. The guy we can't afford to lose is GOLDSON!

Rogers says he wants to finish as a 49er. So I take that chance with a big contract over 3 years he may sign with us again anyway. We can't leave Goldson uncovered. We can't! Big dropoff in the back end without him.

Ted Ginn I think we can get to come back for a big "return man contract." We need him for field position.

Alex Smith has finally found the teacher he needs to continue to develop. Almost no way he wants to go to another team. I think he would be out of his mind to leave Harbaugh. So for a pretty good contract value I think he will come back.

These are the 4 guys I think we need to resign. But Goldson is by far the most dangerous to leave uncovered in FA. Discuss.

yes goldson is good in the trip ball drill but he still takes bad angles and is average in the open. he's a good, damn good hitter but ya cant count on him to be the last pillar

i really like the walt.3 but a BIG 10+ million contract is not what he should get...production based contract with a decent bonus if he wants to stay.

williams has just made ginn odd man out

no way alex could go to another team and be successful anyway..........unless with 2 years in the same O, good Oline, skilled pos players who can catch the ball, can he hit those throws enough to where we cant blame him anymore

blaaablablablaaa

There is absolutely NO reason to get rid of Ginn. First because he is at the tops in return yardage and sencond if we are going to use Williams more at WR we need him to stay healthy which means no returns. I think Franchise is the only way to go with Goldson because he needs to prove himself another year. Last year his play was very underwhelming but the year before that it was pretty good. If they can find a guy in the draft has the tools but just needs more time to learn the game it would be perfect so Goldson can walk the next year if necessary.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'll pass on Goldson if he gets a big contract somewhere. Franchise him? - No way! Goldson may have forced some turnovers, but he f**ks up too many times to be considered for a franchise tag. GMs who look at stats and pay the guy based purely on them usually end up over-paying.

Absolutely agreed.

Goldson has tremendous ball skills as evidenced by his pick numbers. He has good speed but it's all for nothing as

1. He can't tackle in the open field.
2. He consistently takes bad angles.

He is absolutely not worth franchising. Is he worth Ed Reed and Polamalu money? No.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Absolutely agreed.

Goldson has tremendous ball skills as evidenced by his pick numbers. He has good speed but it's all for nothing as

He is absolutely not worth franchising. Is he worth Ed Reed and Polamalu money? No.
I agree, but I say because we are such a good tackling team, the element that he brings to the defense (the big play) is one of the things that makes us more dangerous as a team. He has some clear weaknesses, but I'll take it because of the type of team we have. If this were a bad/average defense, let him walk if the price is too high.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'll pass on Goldson if he gets a big contract somewhere. Franchise him? - No way! Goldson may have forced some turnovers, but he f**ks up too many times to be considered for a franchise tag. GMs who look at stats and pay the guy based purely on them usually end up over-paying.

Absolutely agreed.

Yeup, and you can't have a safety doing either of those things. I bring him back for a reasonable contract, but if someone is willing to over-pay the dude, I'll pass. We have bunch of FAs and we need to be smart with our money.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for WildBill.
The team is well oiled machine. Why mess with it. Safetey's salary don't make as much, so it won't cost us much to franchise him. If you let him go, who are you gonna get that will replace his numbers and more importantly do better? I doubt very much you could guarentee that another player will do better. Last year he was hurt, but the year before he did very well for us. Plus a lot of people have no idea what Fangio is actually asking of Dashon. Could he tackle better yes, but that can be worked on. Creating turnovers is harder. The niners are doing well cause the D causes turnovers and shuts down the run. Until you have someone, you just don't let him go. We got lucky this year.
Originally posted by WildBill:
The team is well oiled machine. Why mess with it. Safetey's salary don't make as much, so it won't cost us much to franchise him. If you let him go, who are you gonna get that will replace his numbers and more importantly do better? I doubt very much you could guarentee that another player will do better. Last year he was hurt, but the year before he did very well for us. Plus a lot of people have no idea what Fangio is actually asking of Dashon. Could he tackle better yes, but that can be worked on. Creating turnovers is harder. The niners are doing well cause the D causes turnovers and shuts down the run. Until you have someone, you just don't let him go. We got lucky this year.

That is key. Much like how we let franklin and spikes go with capable replacements already on the roster a la sopoaga and bowman, or rogers replacing clements although I don't remember if we signed rogers before releasing clements.
Originally posted by five1oh:

That is key. Much like how we let franklin and spikes go with capable replacements already on the roster a la sopoaga and bowman, or rogers replacing clements although I don't remember if we signed rogers before releasing clements.

It was after.

Bowman was nowhere near a "capable replacement." He was a big question mark heading into the season as he hardly saw the field in his rookie year. In fact, he was removed from the lineup after he started. I agree somewhat with Sopoaga.

Now, I'm all for re-signing Goldson on a decent contract. However, he is just not worth franchise tag. He just isn't. Goldson has had tackling issues ever since he's been on the field. I'm not sure how much he's going to improve in this regard given that he's a 5 year veteran (3 year starter).

With so many important extensions due, overpaying for mediocre talent is how you set yourself back.

Bowman was nowhere near a "capable replacement." He was a big question mark heading into the season as he hardly saw the field in his rookie year. In fact, he was removed from the lineup after he started. I agree somewhat with Sopoaga.

Now, I'm all for re-signing Goldson on a decent contract. However, he is just not worth franchise tag. He just isn't. Goldson has had tackling issues ever since he's been on the field. I'm not sure how much he's going to improve in this regard given that he's a 5 year veteran (3 year starter).

With so many important extensions due, overpaying for mediocre talent is how you set yourself back.
It was also sing running the team, who started Troy Smith, and Racheal... lol I'd rather tag alex at this point he looks like he'll have more teams looking at him, his stalk has never been higher.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Absolutely agreed.

I agree, but I say because we are such a good tackling team, the element that he brings to the defense (the big play) is one of the things that makes us more dangerous as a team. He has some clear weaknesses, but I'll take it because of the type of team we have. If this were a bad/average defense, let him walk if the price is too high.

a safety who takes bad angles (a lot) is a liability. most if the time, he is the last line of defense. when he misses, it's either a foot race or a TD. if he could just improve his angles...

What do you guys think the team's stance is on Brooks? I love him out there and I hope they re-sign him

This. You get it. Everything you said.
I have noticed more and more how slow Goldson is; he is very slow sideline to sideline esp. providing help over the top and is now hesitating before squaring up (and getting beat). There was an article about how Goldson may be the weak link of this defense and that may be the case. He is fantastic playing down hill and in the box but VF doesn't ever blitz him and he's clearly, always looking for the big hit but doesn't always wrap up or he takes many poor angles. He does have good instincts though as evidenced by his INT's but we may need more speed next year and range. He also has to play 30 yards back against speedy WR's b/c he can get beat over the top. Anyone else have concerns here? A good team passing team can exploit this...
Originally posted by NCommand:
I have noticed more and more how slow Goldson is; he is very slow sideline to sideline esp. providing help over the top and is now hesitating before squaring up (and getting beat). There was an article about how Goldson may be the weak link of this defense and that may be the case. He is fantastic playing down hill and in the box but VF doesn't ever blitz him and he's clearly, always looking for the big hit but doesn't always wrap up or he takes many poor angles. He does have good instincts though as evidenced by his INT's but we may need more speed next year and range. He also has to play 30 yards back against speedy WR's b/c he can get beat over the top. Anyone else have concerns here? A good team passing team can exploit this...

That seems like a level-headed analysis and I fear you're right about him being exposed against a team like the Saints or Packers. For all the spectacular and clutch plays this season, there's no getting around the fact that he's not a fundamentally sound player. Nor is he a particularly smart player--but he has been making steady, if slow, progress on that front in recent games. At the end of the day, you have to concede that he's either slow or he has problems taking angles--and it might be both.

I certainly do not buy into cult of Goldson that seems to have sprung up this season, but I'm willing to concede that he's likely to be our best option for a further season or two. Six and a half million seems like an awful lot for Goldson, but we may have to bite that bullet. I might not like him very much, but that doesn't mean I don't want him back.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by NCommand:

That seems like a level-headed analysis and I fear you're right about him being exposed against a team like the Saints or Packers. For all the spectacular and clutch plays this season, there's no getting around the fact that he's not a fundamentally sound player. Nor is he a particularly smart player--but he has been making steady, if slow, progress on that front in recent games. At the end of the day, you have to concede that he's either slow or he has problems taking angles--and it might be both.

I certainly do not buy into cult of Goldson that seems to have sprung up this season, but I'm willing to concede that he's likely to be our best option for a further season or two. Six and a half million seems like an awful lot for Goldson, but we may have to bite that bullet. I might not like him very much, but that doesn't mean I don't want him back.

Well said...agree on all fronts.
Share 49ersWebzone