LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Thoughts/Feelings about new 49er fans aka bandwagoners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
I've ben a fan for 25+ years, and I will say that while I don't mind the new fans, the thing that annoys me is when I hear "oh now you're a Niner fan" spouted in my direction. I kind of feel like carrying a picture of myself around from when I was little and decked out in gear to throw up any time I get questioned.

New fans are gerat - I just wish there was a way to let eveyone know that I am not one of them!

haha i always am a fan of when they say "oh your just a bandwagon fan because there aren't any real 49er fans in tennessee" i just say "well how bout i name every quarterback thats started since jeff garcia and that includes tim rattay cody pickett and JT O' smelling salts sullivan. yeah bet you never heard of those people"
Originally posted by okdkid:
Who cares?

I started as a bandwagon fan in the 80s when the Niners were winning every week. It lead to me developing some brand loyalty. And now that I've stuck through a decades worth of terrible football... I say the more the merrier.

Yup. I grew up as a fan in the 80's. There is still some good support in the Seattle area, where there are still some folks who remember the 49ers as the "home team" for the Pacific NW for all those years before the Seahawks showed up. Anyone who wants to cheer for my team is cool w/me, but they piss me off when they mention "AXEL" Smith, Dashon "GoldsTon", or Mike "Lupati."
A fan since 94, but hooked in 96! Stuck it through the 2000's and now enjoying life. But as ironic as it seems, I have not bought a single niner memorabilia since they are winning. Not one thing. I've bought more memorabilia when they were losing. Like theSF Giants after they won the world series, I didn't go out and bought their stuff because they were winning. I bought their stuff when they were bad. irony?
I like it. It means we are winning.
  • ttime
Who cares?

I started as a bandwagon fan in the 80s when the Niners were winning every week. It lead to me developing some brand loyalty. And now that I've stuck through a decades worth of terrible football... I say the more the merrier.

Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for cortana49.
I welcome them with open arms...

... as long as they remain faithful like the rest of us.

Damn I remember in 93 I was 6 and I was influenced by my uncle to watch the niners. I remember we lost to Dallas that year, but we won the following year. I've been a faithful ever since 93. I think your a real fan if you've stuck with em this past 8-9 years.

I hate Bandwagons. I was at the sports bars few weeks ago and this Guy wearing a Vernon Davis Jersey and he was dogging Alex and the team to a cowboys fan. Whatta sucker. I never high fives him when we scored. Nor will I ever.
Man when I was 8-9 years old I bought this Jerry rice mini football with his face on it it with a non ink signature on it. It also came with a kicking tee. My dad told me not to play with it cuz it would be worth money one day, but being so young I had to open it up and play football with my cousin. Lol. Anyone else have it? I also had this cool Steve young banner where he was a caricature.
[ Edited by QBguru on Nov 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM ]
Being niner fan in texas for the past 28 years has not been easy. and i thought i might be the only one in texas that cheered for the niners. then this year happened. and i was like where have you guys been hiding.

more of a ghoster than poster in here. but i have been following webzone since 05 - 06. good stuff
My gf got my a jersey like 3 years ago. with last name on the back. I have worn it every sunday since. with the bad and the good. besides that is my steve young jersey. but that one is signed and framed on my wall:)

Was born in 1986. Dad was a photographer that covered the 49ers (He was a big Montana fan. Didn't like Steve Young too much lol). Took me to some games. Stop following the 49ers (and any other organized sport in general) when I started to watch MMA in 2000. Started to follow the team again when they fired Erickson and had the first pick in the 2005 draft. Learned a lot about football from other posters on the web zone.
Bandwagon fans are a joke. Plain and simple if you haven't watched this team for the past 9 years and now are trying to follow this team you're an embarrassment. Like many of us on here I've been waiting way too long for a season like this. When somebody asks me who Dashon Goldson is inside of Candlestick then there is a problem. Same thing happened last year at with the Giants, it's annoying and childish.
Who cares?

I started as a bandwagon fan in the 80s when the Niners were winning every week. It led to me developing some brand loyalty. And now that I've stuck through a decade's worth of terrible football... I say the more the merrier.

Good point. I think I came aboard in the early 80s but that was because I was born in 1977 ....
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Bandwagon fans are a joke. Plain and simple if you haven't watched this team for the past 9 years and now are trying to follow this team you're an embarrassment. Like many of us on here I've been waiting way too long for a season like this. When somebody asks me who Dashon Goldson is inside of Candlestick then there is a problem. Same thing happened last year at with the Giants, it's annoying and childish.

I think you can say that the fans who have experenced the last 8 or 9 years will have a much sweater time with the winning. I wouldn't call new fans a joke though.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

In 1979 and 1980, I never met a Niner fan (in fact I honestly thought it was just me and my dad). There were Cowboys and Steeler fans everywhere, then 1981 happened (and it kept going and going until the late nineties). People will latch on to winners so get over it, question to you is if the Niners hit a wall this season, will you call for a change or can you just enjoy this ascension with new fans and see how far we can get. I honestly don't care if fans jump on or off, just seeing my son and the next generation feel the same exhilaration I felt when I was young is all that matters.
Share 49ersWebzone