LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 405 users in the forums

Skip Bayless: "The 49ers WILL win remain unbeaten for the rest of the Season"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Hey Afrikan, my recollection is that you've never been much of an Alex Smith supporter. In fact, I seem to recall a lot of Alex Smith bashing coming from your direction over the years. Maybe I'm wrong about that. If I am, you have my apologies. But, I stand my my sense that it seems to be very difficult for a lot of Niner fans who have hated Alex Smith over the years to give him credit when he does something right. Personally, I felt coming into the season that if Smith couldn't be successful with a committed QB-oriented coach like Harbaugh, I would at last admit that he is a lost cause. I've always liked Alex Smith and hoped for the best. That's part of the reason this season is turning into such a special one for me. But, I know that it's going to take more, though, for people to give him his due. He's got to take the next step. We've got to see some plus-300 yard, 2-3 touchdown performances from him. It's tough because the defense is so damn good this year that it's not clear to me that Harbaugh will ever even call a game like that. It's just hard to imagine a shoot-out at this point because of the Niner defense.

Now, on your last note, Magini's record as a coach is 33-47. If I remember correctly, he took a 10-6 Jets team and turned them into a 4-12 team the year after that. So far, Harbaugh has taken a team that was 6-10 last year and with largely the same cast, has a 5-1 record so far. That doesn't make me smarter than Magini, but it also doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence in his analysis.
well you can say I have "bashed" Alex play on the field...you won't see me use the word "suck" or whatever.

this year, we are winning...and although I don't think Alex is playing at his best every game (I felt he played his best for all 4qtrs against the Bucs), he has came through at the end. I'm still not satisfied with our 3rd down conversion percentages. But we are winning, and so imo, that buys us time to fix things each week. I would be more vocal if we go 2-3 weeks of losses or almost losses thankx to the same type of mistakes. As far as this case, I said he made a perfect throw...imo, as well as Mangini, it wasn't the best decision. That's Mangini's job to point out. I just pointed it out because (since I still believe it was not the best decision) I hope if we are in that type of situation again, Alex goes to Crabtree.

I'm used to our offense for years, throw 2-3 yards short of the first down and expect out receivers to pick up the first down....especially if they are not able to catch the ball in stride. So for a 4th and goal situation, against Zone.....I'd hate, REALLY hate, if we got stopped just short of the TD....just like we have in the past regarding 1st downs.

but its ok, I think some feel all folks who "bash" Alex think the same....just like some of Alex bashers probably think folks who defend Alex, are more fans of his than the team....I don't think its that black and white however.

If Alex helps take us to the SuperBowl, (and IMO I think its possible this year with the combination of our schedule, our defense, running game, special teams, and mistake free play from Alex).....anyway if Alex helps get us to the SuperBowl, and even a win.....if that happens, I'm not going to act like I'm some of the few who have been here who have stuck by his side these past 7 years. I'd be EXTREMELY HAPPY, its not like I'd act like I never doubted him. I know the few here who have stuck by his side all this time, and I'd be happy for them first and foremost.

besides Valrod of course, I distinctly remember him jumping off the ship in Gameday threads here and there last year.....only to see him haul arse and swim his way back to catch up with the boat later in the thread.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
some of you bashing Mangini regarding the Walker TD, can believe what ever you want......but the fact is, although the throw was perfect, Delanie did a GREAT job keeping his knee off the ground...if his knee did touch, which would not have been his fault...ALOT of people on this forum and the media would be bashing Alex for that decision.

and no...before Alex threw the ball, the CB had already left Crabtree to cover Delanie....heck, they even pause the video for you to be able to see it.

again be in denial about it all you want....that was a 4th down and goal play, and that was not the best decision by Alex. It worked this time, but I would hope if we ever are in that type of situation again...Alex reads the defense better, and throws it to the right man.

I've watched this play over and over, from various angles and you can't convince me Smith could see Crabtree would be opened when he threw the ball. It is also impossible to say the slant was not the correct read as Walker was cutting underneath to an open area in the middle, with DBs following him, not in a position to jump the route.

Plus, it is a staple of the WCO! How many TDs did the 9ers have with that pick play for the slant? I agree with Nielsen that the fade is less likely to succeed.

The view from behind Smith is my favorite angle and it shows Crabtree obscured by Walker and the defenders while Smith is letting go of the ball. He had not cleared yet.

Lastly, it was a TD! Just not the TD Mangini thinks it should have been. Walker knew it was his ball based on the D, but Mangini looks into his crystal ball and disagrees. I'm so tired of these talking heads reading minds. They are paid analysts not clairvoyants.
Bayless is trolling.
It's very possible for the Niners to remain unbeaten the remainder of the reg season. Of the 10 remaining games, five are against NFC West teams.
The 4th down play:

Alex didn't read the defense correctly and that much was obvious. Thankfully the Lions DB didn't make a play even though he was in position and Walker carried him into the endzone. Alex should have thrown it to Crabtree but got lucky that the Lions defender couldn't stop Walker from getting into the endzone.
Alex stared down Walker as he took the snap. He never read his other options.
Delusional!
Originally posted by nflguy49:

he glanced to his left as soon as he snapped it, but besides that yeah it looked like he was turning to throw it to Walker all the way.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
We're going 16-0 no matter what.

This team is not winning because of great play from the qb position. Were winning because of dominant defense and a strong running game while not asking the qb to do much. Basically it's what Singletary wanted but could never do because he lacks the ability to scheme the way Harbaugh does.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
some of you bashing Mangini regarding the Walker TD, can believe what ever you want......but the fact is, although the throw was perfect, Delanie did a GREAT job keeping his knee off the ground...if his knee did touch, which would not have been his fault...ALOT of people on this forum and the media would be bashing Alex for that decision.

and no...before Alex threw the ball, the CB had already left Crabtree to cover Delanie....heck, they even pause the video for you to be able to see it.

again be in denial about it all you want....that was a 4th down and goal play, and that was not the best decision by Alex. It worked this time, but I would hope if we ever are in that type of situation again...Alex reads the defense better, and throws it to the right man.

Originally posted by nflguy49:

It's a pre-snap read on a three step drop. It's either going to the right or it's a drop off to the RB in the flat. Crabtree will not break wide open in the back of the endzone because the lions did not call a double shallow zone coverage at the goal line. The DB breaks off Crabtree only because Smith is in a throwing motion to Delanie, if Smith key's in on Crabs the DB follows him to the corner of the endzone. The other options are covered if you look at the play as the zone has them all blanketed. Delanie is reported as saying that he knew the ball was coming to him presnap and that he was happy they felt confident in him to make the play.

GEEZZSZZZZ

peeps will only see what they want, there's so much spin around here I get dizzy.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I doubt we win the next 10, but that's alright as long as we get that first round bye.
Our schedule helped us?

What did he put reasons a team might be overrated in a hat and draw a couple out?
The remaining 10 games

Seahawks

Rams: Twice

Cardinals twice:

That's five wins right there.

We also have :

Browns- it's not IF we will beat the browns but by how many points. So now were up to 6 more wins.

Redskins

Giants

Ravens

Steelers

The above four games are the biggest wildcards remaining on our schedule. If all four are lost we still likely finish at 11-5

Thinks are looking good for SF!
Share 49ersWebzone