LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Was Ted Ginn's punt return for a TD a good thing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
someone had money on the seahawks......
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ill take them having to score 4 times(2 Tds and two 2 point conversions) every time

Fair enough, but it's certainly debatable.

No, it really isn't.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I see where the OP was going. While I rather take my chances with Tavaris Jackson trying to score 16 in whatever amount of time. Truth is had he took it to the 1 and let us run them out of timeouts and kick a field goal I think our chances just may be greater than 16 points and them havig 3 timeouts. HOWEVER!

You bring other things into play if we did what you suggest.

1. If he fair catches it: We are actually going to have to run instead of kneeling which brings turnovers into play.
2. If he fair catches it: If we don't get a 1st down we now have to punt. Which brings punt return and punt block into play.

3. If he goes out at the 1: We likely kneel to waste time and settle for FG. Which brings FG block into play.

If he does what he did, they now have to score, get a 2 point conversion, get an on side kick and score and get another 2 pt conversion. So yes while they may have more time and/or timeouts, they need alot more to go right.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ill take them having to score 4 times(2 Tds and two 2 point conversions) every time

Fair enough, but it's certainly debatable.

No, it really isn't.

seriously.

this is the kind of logic that got Nolan and Singletary fired.
Originally posted by krizay:
I see where the OP was going. While I rather take my chances with Tavaris Jackson trying to score 16 in whatever amount of time. Truth is had he took it to the 1 and let us run them out of timeouts and kick a field goal I think our chances just may be greater than 16 points and them havig 3 timeouts. HOWEVER!

1. If he fair catches it: We are actually going to have to run instead of kneeling which brings turnovers into play.
2. If he fair catches it: If we don't get a 1st down we now have to punt. Which brings punt return and punt block into play.

3. If he goes out at the 1: We likely kneel to waste time and settle for FG. Which brings FG block into play.

If he does what he did, they now have to score, get a 2 point conversion, get an on side kick and score and get another 2 pt conversion. So yes while they may have more time and/or timeouts, they need alot more to go right.

not to mention we got ZERO production out of the run game all day.
Originally posted by krizay:

Ya, f**k the fair catch- my bad, I shouldn't have said that...but I definitely think going down at the 1 would have been the most ideal scenario. IMO, up 12, 2 mins left, no SEA timeouts>up 16, 3 mins left, 2 SEA timeouts.
We have a pretty young team so points on them board will give them confidence and taking a field goal at the one yard line on purpose after the red zone struggles already in that game....I'd rather take the TD and the overall confidence and excitement that came with that TD.
His point is not as retarded as everyone is making it seem. Counterintuitive yes, but absolutely debatable once you think about it. "Pointless", "over-thinking", "over-analyzing"? Um...some people like to think outside the box. Sorry if your brain can't handle it.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
No, it really isn't.

How is it not? You're trading 4 points (while still maintaining the same amount of possessions....and not JUST possessions- for example, 11 points is also 2 possessions, but one of them can be a field goal, this was still 2 TOUCHDOWNS) for a minute of game clock and 2 timeouts...how in the hell is that not debatable???
[ Edited by andes14 on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM ]

• boast
  • Hella Fame
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I almost think it's debatable. If he just did a fair catch (or, if he returned it, just took a knee at the 1 yard line), we would have been up 2 possessions AND have the ball AND have only 3 minutes left in the game. Kneel it 3 times (drain clock/make them use their remaining timeouts), then kick a field goal to make it a 2 touchdown game with them only having a minute or so left. Seems like that would have been the best chance of winning rather than them having to score 2 touchdowns but having 3 minutes and however many timeouts left they had to do so. Either way, the odds were overwhelming in our favor, but I feel that they would have been even more overwhelming had he not scored.

Singletary, if you are going to post here, then just use your real name.

For Christ's sake! oops, sorry about that.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captain_planet:
His point is not as retarded as everyone is making it seem. Counterintuitive yes, but absolutely debatable once you think about it. "Pointless", "over-thinking", "over-analyzing"? Um...some people like to think outside the box. Sorry if your brain can't handle it.

I've been thinking this for sometime. Some of these people are either uncapable or unwilling to look at more than 1 side to a situation.
A bird in hand. . .is worth more than just sh*t in your hand.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The scary thing is that there have been five days to think this through . . .

THIS
Share 49ersWebzone