There are 155 users in the forums

So who starts at corner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
The answer lies in Fangio's style of play and schemes.

Look what Geen Bay did with unknowns Sam Shields and Travian Williams.

If Fangio wants guys who can cover, man-for-man, for x seconds, with specific, tight safety help, Donatel will coach them up to do it.

If Fangio wants a maniac outside blitzer from the CB position, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

If Fangio wants a stud run stuffer on one side, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

What Fangio and Donatel cannot do, is manufacture a true shutdown CB, and there are no more such CB's to be had in FA. The coaching course is now set. Look for more of a 4-man orchestrated dance among the 4 DB's on the field, rather than one-on-one responsibilities. It will be on Fangio to out-manuever those Offensive Coordinators, who are trying to creat one-on-one isolation plays. Maybe the club gets its Patrick Peterson in Next year's draft, to create more defensive flexibility.

Agree and nice post

I got to admit Jim, reading that got me a little excited. You should work for the Niner's PR department.

They also had Charles Woodson on the field. In my opinion he is one of those players, like a polmalu, that make the players around him better. Without woodson there would be a drop off.
Originally posted by btwagner:
adams and spencer would be my bet6

I want to see Trumaine Brock this predason, he looked awesome last preseason.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
f**k it. I'll do it.
Originally posted by btwagner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
The answer lies in Fangio's style of play and schemes.

Look what Geen Bay did with unknowns Sam Shields and Travian Williams.

If Fangio wants guys who can cover, man-for-man, for x seconds, with specific, tight safety help, Donatel will coach them up to do it.

If Fangio wants a maniac outside blitzer from the CB position, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

If Fangio wants a stud run stuffer on one side, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

What Fangio and Donatel cannot do, is manufacture a true shutdown CB, and there are no more such CB's to be had in FA. The coaching course is now set. Look for more of a 4-man orchestrated dance among the 4 DB's on the field, rather than one-on-one responsibilities. It will be on Fangio to out-manuever those Offensive Coordinators, who are trying to creat one-on-one isolation plays. Maybe the club gets its Patrick Peterson in Next year's draft, to create more defensive flexibility.

Agree and nice post

I got to admit Jim, reading that got me a little excited. You should work for the Niner's PR department.

They also had Charles Woodson on the field. In my opinion he is one of those players, like a polmalu, that make the players around him better. Without woodson there would be a drop off.

Still praying mays will click on!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It is a tossup between Jose Cortez and Jeff Reed. Whoever eats the most tacos in 5 minutes wins.

WIN

and from Grant Cohns latest post.... "My guess is Baalke will sign an older, veteran corner, like Lito Sheppard, to a bargain one-year deal. Then, he’ll draft either Stefon Gilmore from South Carolina or Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska with the 49ers’ first round pick."

I could see that. Sign someone to a 1 or 2 year deal and really see just what the existing CBs on the roster can do. The spend that first round pick next year on a CB. I could also see them swinging a trade for a decent CB during the year if it becomes clear that we actually had a shot at winning the division.

[ Edited by golfing9er on Aug 1, 2011 at 20:25:18 ]
Guess i could start & i'm in a damn wheelchair!!!!
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:

Hell yeah we will get you a powered one!!! With NOS
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:

Hell yeah we will get you a powered one!!! With NOS

What about Jose Cortez?!?!
They better hurry to Rogers before someone else does. Also, why no Kelvin Hayden? Brent Grimes?

I like the patient approach and all, but can Baalke and co. spare us all a heart attack and bring in at least one solid guy?

Get Hayden and Rogers. Then let them all compete for the starting spots
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Just a little fact about the modern NFL....there are no real shutdown corners. Not anymore. The rules are heavily geared to favor the offense, to the point that even though the CB position is arguably the best its' ever been in the league's history, it still is basically impossible to play shutdown pass defense.

What you have on the defensive side of the ball is schemes....that, and lot of blitzing and rushing the passer. That's the cornerstone of a successful D now. Doesn't matter how good your DBs are if you pass rush is horrible.
Well I did play a little cb in high school and college haha
Well I did play a little cb in high school and college haha
Originally posted by kray28:
Just a little fact about the modern NFL....there are no real shutdown corners. Not anymore. The rules are heavily geared to favor the offense, to the point that even though the CB position is arguably the best its' ever been in the league's history, it still is basically impossible to play shutdown pass defense.

What you have on the defensive side of the ball is schemes....that, and lot of blitzing and rushing the passer. That's the cornerstone of a successful D now. Doesn't matter how good your DBs are if you pass rush is horrible.

I disagree. I do believe there are true shut down corners in todays game. Its a team game, obviously no one is going to be able to cover receivers, the best athletes on the team generally, for 7+ seconds without some kind of pass rush to assist. Again its a team game. Everyone does their job and plays their role given the fact that their teammates will as well. Guys like Revis, Asomugha, Champ Bailey back in the day, etc. anytime those guys were being backed up by their team, they were damn near impossible to beat.

I think the mistake most people make when evaluating the CB position is that its one-on-one. They judge a corner back based on his ability to hang with a receiver and dont factor in pass rush assistance, or will say something like "oh he benefits from a good pass rush". You cant forget the receiver has the QB to help manipulate the CB and sway him a certain direction, and ultimately deliver the ball. Thats an unfair playing field according to the one-on-one logic. If I can put 11 professionals on the field, and each one can do his job at a decent level at least, and a CB like Revis can shut down ________ completely and hold him to a catch or two; thats shut down.

Shut down corners are very rare, but I think they still exist.

edit--agree on the modern NFL rules favoring the offense. no doubt.

[ Edited by DaveTheShocker on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:51:49 ]
Share 49ersWebzone