There are 188 users in the forums

So who starts at corner

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Tarell Brown & Spencer... Cause Brown's had to start before.

Not that Brown was anything great when he did start, but he has the most experience.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

This should strike the FEAR in the oppossing offenses!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Spencer and Brown, with Adams (if healthy) taking over for Brown mid-year, when his inconsistency causes some issues. Maybe his inconsistent, seemingly ditstracted, play will be worked out by the new coaching staff?

I can't believe that better secondary coaching in the past would not have produced two or three guys capable of starting.

We have seen a lot of DBs drafted in the past 6 years and none of them have come close to Pro Bowl status. That is ALL on poor position coaching. I can't believe it is all poor draft picks.

If Aldon Smith can rush the passer, and Fangio has some innovative schemes to bring further pressure; good coaching should result in decent DB play. We'll see...
Spencer and Tarell Brown??
Originally posted by Chico:
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

Not really.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Tarell Brown & Spencer... Cause Brown's had to start before.

Not that Brown was anything great when he did start, but he has the most experience.
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

If this secondary cant stop Tavaris Jackson in the opener ...it's going to be a LONG PAINFUL SEASON
Can someone explain why Reggie Smith isn't in any of these discussions?

He's looked solid when given the opportunities and by all reports has been our best DB in TC albeit only 4 practices. Aside from being a physical beast how has Mays outplayed Smith in anyway last season at the safety position?

I want them both to succeed, but Mays looks like more of a roleplayer than a starter. Would still like to see him in a 2-4-5 alignment and he can be the hybrid LB/DB... if he learns to wrap up.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Can someone explain why Reggie Smith isn't in any of these discussions?

He's looked solid when given the opportunities and by all reports has been our best DB in TC albeit only 4 practices. Aside from being a physical beast how has Mays outplayed Smith in anyway last season at the safety position?

I want them both to succeed, but Mays looks like more of a roleplayer than a starter. Would still like to see him in a 2-4-5 alignment and he can be the hybrid LB/DB... if he learns to wrap up.

Maiocco says Smith looks to be the most gameday ready of the secondary. Looks like he's been pretty good.

I also wouldn't mind giving T. Brown a shot. He's faster than Clements, much smaller, but if he can be a Dre Bly type then that's all we can ask for considering where he was drafted.

Aside from SS, I'm actually not too concerned with the starters on defense as they stand. The biggest problem is depth, especially considering the inevitable injuries.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

If this secondary cant stop Tavaris Jackson in the opener ...it's going to be a LONG PAINFUL SEASON

Aldon Smith will help.
We cut ties with the two people who were best at stopping the passing game: Raye and Sing. Or we can line up Julian Peterson at CB again.
Originally posted by niners94:
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

Aldon Smith will help.

Hell yes ...I cant wait for Fangio to turn him loose and let him rush the passer
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

Aldon Smith will help.

Hell yes ...I cant wait for Fangio to turn him loose and let him rush the passer

i hear reggie smith is a ballhawk (and he has played well when givin the chance) put reggie smith at FS goldson/mays at SS
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Spencer = LC
Adams = RC
Mays = SS
Goldson = FS

Aldon Smith will help.

i hear reggie smith is a ballhawk (and he has played well when givin the chance) put reggie smith at FS goldson/mays at SS

I seem to remember Adams doing pretty good when he was in there too. I think we will be okay. I like the idea of putting Smith at RE and Goldson at SS, Mays might be a roleplayer safety/lb in passing situation until he learns to cover.
Share 49ersWebzone