There are 227 users in the forums

Who is our starting qb next season and how do we get him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is our starting qb next season and how do we get him?

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
A Smith forever! Start the wave here...light a candle...yell whoppie!

So I'm assuming you two want to have a losing seasons for the next 6-7 years before Alex Smith decides to retire as the worst 49er QB in history.

Youre trippin'
Alex will be HoFer after winning 3 SBs with Harbaugh

So I'm assuming you two want to have a losing seasons for the next 6-7 years before Alex Smith decides to retire as the worst 49er QB in history.

Youre trippin'
Alex will be HoFer after winning 3 SBs with Harbaugh

Have you been smoking some thing?
Ive put some realistic projections...

1)

Projected 2011 Season QB depth chart:

Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Scott Tolzien

Practice Squad

Nathan Enderle

Andy Dalton seems like a good fit for the WCO but he's a spread offense QB and a shortened offseason will hamper is overall development. Alex Smith represents the best chance to win for a FA QB. The Niners are not able to sign Kolb or Palmer.

2)

Mark Bulger, Blaine Gabbert, Greg Mcleroy

Practice Squad

Nathan Enderle

The Niners draft Blaine Gabbert early (7 or earlier). Due to the CBA mess, he becomes the future of the QB position. Now Baalke/Harbaugh and company need an immediate stop-gap with WCO experience. Mark Bulger is an awful eventuality, but in this configuration, I would give it 6 weeks before Blaine Gabbert became the starter.

3)

Carson Palmer, Christian Ponder, Scott Tolzien

Practice Squad

T.J. Yates

The niners get an elite defensive player at #7, and trade back up into the first round (trading the 2nd, 3rd, and next years' 1st) to get Christian Ponder. At this point, Baalke/Harbaugh push hard for Carson Palmer and overpay for him. We have quality and young talent, and we may have Peterson too
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Free agent Matt Hasselbeck
2nd rd. Andy Dalton
7th rd. Adam Froman
It's going to be Smith or Carr. Get used to it now, folks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
i think we'll be ok with:

Matt Bulger (to battle David Carr)
Collin Kaepernick (2nd round)
Mitch Mustain (6h round)
Why does everyone keep saying that Alex Smith would be the best possible QB with a shortened off-season. He would have to learn Harbaughs system like every other Quaterback and we all know how long it takes him to learn new systems. He does have a good report with the current offense but what would be the point of getting the rest of the team used to a new system with a QB that they know is not going to be around longer than 1 or 2 years. Draft and sign the QB's you want for the long haul and start gettiing them in sync with each other as fast as possible. Not a stop gap so we can waist a couple more years. The rest of the team wants to win now. if harbaugh can't develop another free agent or draft choice than what makes you think he can do so with ALEX. Grab Ponder, Dalton or Gabbert in the draft. Trade for Palmer or Josh Johnson. Sign Bulger. There's plenty of options...

My choice is ditch Carr. Draft Dalton by trading up a little bit in the 2nd. trade for Josh Johnson whenever the cba gets fixed. should come cheap considering he hasn't done much behind Freeman. Sign Marc Bulger at a cheap price.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Ive put some realistic projections...

1)

Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Scott Tolzien

Practice Squad

Nathan Enderle

Andy Dalton seems like a good fit for the WCO but he's a spread offense QB and a shortened offseason will hamper is overall development. Alex Smith represents the best chance to win for a FA QB. The Niners are not able to sign Kolb or Palmer.

2)

Mark Bulger, Blaine Gabbert, Greg Mcleroy

Practice Squad

Nathan Enderle

The Niners draft Blaine Gabbert early (7 or earlier). Due to the CBA mess, he becomes the future of the QB position. Now Baalke/Harbaugh and company need an immediate stop-gap with WCO experience. Mark Bulger is an awful eventuality, but in this configuration, I would give it 6 weeks before Blaine Gabbert became the starter.

3)

Carson Palmer, Christian Ponder, Scott Tolzien

Practice Squad

T.J. Yates

The niners get an elite defensive player at #7, and trade back up into the first round (trading the 2nd, 3rd, and next years' 1st) to get Christian Ponder. At this point, Baalke/Harbaugh push hard for Carson Palmer and overpay for him. We have quality and young talent, and we may have Peterson too

I'd be okay with the third option, though it seems highly unlikely that we have 3 rookie QBs on the squad. Odds are that David Carr will be back, especially if we draft a QB high. His perspective likely invaluable.
Scott

Mike - do you ever make a post that does not mention A. Smith?
Alex Smith still appears to be the best option for the time being, but we'll draft Kaepernick in the 2nd and trade for Josh Johnson. Harbaugh likes a QB who can throw AND avoid the sack. Of the guys out there, A. Smith fits the bill better than any (and don't tell me Palmer, Bulger or Hasselbeck fit that description better than Smith) AND he's not yet totally washed up like the others. Josh Johnson and Kaepernick are of the same mould. If there's a shortened (or no) training camp, Smith will start, but if training camp is full length, then Johnson will win the job. Kaepernick will wait in the wings for at least a year unless both Smith and Johnson stink it up.

Alex will salvage his career next year! Give him another chance!
Originally posted by DENden223:

He already had 6 chances... I think he's had enough and no Alex is not the best option..

To me the best option is Hassleback.. He knows the west coast offense.. Can start a year or 2 untill say Kap or Dalton are ready.. Plus we will actually win games and have a chance in the 4th quater of games.. Instead of fans saying great were down 7 or 10 game over..

[ Edited by fakers23 on Mar 28, 2011 at 14:14:01 ]
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Alex Smith still appears to be the best option for the time being, but we'll draft Kaepernick in the 2nd and trade for Josh Johnson. Harbaugh likes a QB who can throw AND avoid the sack. Of the guys out there, A. Smith fits the bill better than any (and don't tell me Palmer, Bulger or Hasselbeck fit that description better than Smith) AND he's not yet totally washed up like the others. Josh Johnson and Kaepernick are of the same mould. If there's a shortened (or no) training camp, Smith will start, but if training camp is full length, then Johnson will win the job. Kaepernick will wait in the wings for at least a year unless both Smith and Johnson stink it up.

Doesn't Johnson know Harbaugh's offense better than Alex Smith? Some time has gone by but we at least know they were once a successful match. He knows Harbaugh's verbage and maybe even some of the playbook. Wouldn't it be easier for Johnson to learn the offense in a short off-season?
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by DENden223:

He already had 6 chances... I think he's had enough and no Alex is not the best option..

To me the best option is Hassleback.. He knows the west coast offense.. Can start a year or 2 untill say Kap or Dalton are ready.. Plus we will actually win games and have a chance in the 4th quater of games.. Instead of fans saying great were down 7 or 10 game over..

Blaine Gabbert will be our new franchise QB then.
QB 1: FA veteran on short term deal (Smith, Hasselback, Bulger)
QB 2: Trade for Josh Johnson and a four year deal.
QB 3/PS: One or two late round projects.

We'd basically be able to temporarily stabilize the QB position with a chance for hitting on something for maybe a 4th and one or two picks in rounds 5-7. This allows us to stock up on other positions in a QB weak draft, and still have room for maneuverability next year if we need it.
Share 49ersWebzone