There are 228 users in the forums

Do you want Baalke as the next GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you want Baalke as the next GM

Everyone saids we have talent besides at quarterback and Trent is not responsible for Alex, we will have a new head coach. Why not give him a try?

[ Edited by kc49er on Dec 30, 2010 at 14:53:30 ]
IMO Jed York wants to maintain control while floating the idea that he's actually searching high and low and sparing no expense for the next GM and HC. He's hiring a yes man at each position that is happy to have a job and will do it for less than market value and won't question York. Pure BS.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
IMO Jed York wants to maintain control while floating the idea that he's actually searching high and low and sparing no expense for the next GM and HC. He's hiring a yes man at each position that is happy to have a job and will do it for less than market value and won't question York. Pure BS.
If years down the line we find that Baalke doesnt pan out and Jed once again throws out the 'im looking for a GM . . . . for real this time' I wont be surprised if none of the big guns dont come knocking and we end up with what the trash dictates we get.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

that's exactly how we ended up with Alex Smith. We went to the dance with Antrelle Rolle, Braylon Edwards, Aaron Rodgers, and Alex Smith, but we were smitten with the way Alex would roll the ball around his legs without asking why he was told to do that. He could take direction - any direction - well without asking any questions or ruffling any feathers, so he was our guy.
Originally posted by Shaj:
The amount of people who voted for option #3 worries me greatly. You do not promote a noob to an NFL GM position in order to land a noob as an NFL HC.

usually i'd agree with this statement, however in this circumstance i just dont know that the 9ers have any better options that they actually 'might' take advantage of.
it just seems like this is the most likely direction the team is heading in so i will hope it turns out for the best.
The thing that keeps coming back at me is the statement "Money is NO object"!

Obviously Baalke is NOT going to demand the kind of money that a Mike Holmgren or any other experienced GM would require.

Same goes for the coach who has had success in the NFL versus someone out of the college ranks.

So it seems to me that even tho Jed York has been given control of the team, John York still controls the money aspect of it and there's a certain budget limitation that Jed has to work with.

I must admit the he's quickly learning the PR end of it although most of what he's doing is starting to become obvious.

"Tell the people WHAT they want to hear" ... !

Just for the record. I have nothing against Baalke, but it would have been nice if they are able to interview ALL possible candidates. But think about it, how many legitimate successful candidate would interview now, now that Baalke seems to be a lock.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 30, 2010 at 15:31:38 ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Obviously Baalke is NOT going to demand the kind of money that a Mike Holmgren or any other experienced GM would require.

Same goes for the coach who has had success in the NFL versus someone out of the college ranks.

So it seems to me that even tho Jed York has been given control of the team, John York still controls the money aspect of it and there's a certain budget limitation that Jed has to work with.

I must admit the he's quickly learning the PR end of it although most of what he's doing is becoming obvious.

yep. My Wife wants or I guess needs a new car. I tell her money is no object. And come home with a Hyundai for her.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
If Baalke didn't get along with Sing, then maybe he's smarter than we know???
you guys have to remember.. it was baalke that traded for ted ginn cause he knew we needed a legitimate returner.. he is the guy that got westbrook for a good one two punch jsut singletary didnt utilitze him. he drafted taylor mays for a big body with blazing speed to make a stud safty sometime in the future. i read someting about the reason why he brought in the people he did. i think he has what it takes. i wouldnt mind giving him a shot. he had to work with a man that had a horrible philosophy and all that. lets see how he does with someone he works well with and has the same vision on what they want?

No. He has been part of our problem since 2005. He was our talent scout and he missed on Smith over Rogers. We need someone that has GM experience, bring some credibility iaround the league n order to attract good coaches, and someone that can make good late round picks. Before he joined the 49ers in 2005 Baalke was with the Skins from 2001-2004 and the Jets from 1998-2000 as a scout. If we briefly look at who these teams drafted during that time, it is obvious that this guy does not have a good eye for talent. In 1998 from top of the draft to bottom, the Jets took: 1.no pick 2.Dorian Boose(DE),3.Scott Frost(CB), 4. Jason Fabini(OT) 5. Casey Daily(LB) 5. Doug Karczewski (OT) 6. Chris Brazzell (WR) 7. Lawerence Hart (TE).
1999 jets took 1.no pick 2.Randy Tomas (OG) 3. David Loverne (OG) 4 Jason Wiltz (OT) 5. jermaine Jones(CB) 6. Marc Megna(LB) 7. Ryan Young (OT).
2001 Skins took: 1. Rod Garner (WR) 2. Fred Smoot (CB) 3.no pick 4. Sage Rosenfels 5. Darnerien McCants (WR) 6. Mario Monds (DT) 7. no pick.
2002 Skins drafted: 1. Patrick Ramsey(QB) 2. Ladell Betts(RB) 3. Rashad Bauman(CB)4. no pick. 5 Andre Lott (S) 6. Reggie Coleman(T) 7. Jeff Grau (C)
2003 Skins: 1. no pick 2. Taylor Jacobs (WR) 3. Derrick Dockery (OG) 4 no pick
5.no pick 6. no pick 7. Gibran Hamdan (QB)
2004 Skins: 1. Sean Taylor (FS) 2. no pick 3. Chris Cooley (TE) 4. no pick 5. Mark Wilson (OT) 6. Jim Molinaro (OT)7. no pick.
Not exactly a group of guys that are future Hall of Famers. Less than a handful were even starters. Since 2005 besides Frank Gore and the obvious 1st round picks that fell to us, we have yet to build a team with mid and late round picks. That is what separates teams that stay competitive like N.E., GB, BAL, PIT. from us. We need to find someone that has enough respect in the league where people want to come in to SF and be a part of the rebuilding process. Yeah it is unknown what he can do until he gets a shot but it has been said if you ask who has been calling the shots around Ninerland, Trent Baalke would be that guy. He was not successful as a scout, it is unlikely that he will be successful as a GM. The Yorks need to stop cutting corners and start paying for some real advisors to build this franchise around because Jed is not getting it done. The Niners are a sleeping Giant looking for someone else to awake us besides Baalke.
I don't mind Baalke.. but it's the fact that it was already decided he was the man before anyone really significant even interviewed. If they had interviewed everyone and then decided that Baalke was the man for the job then I'd be more supportive of the move.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldFever:
No. He has been part of our problem since 2005. He was our talent scout and he missed on Smith over Rogers. We need someone that has GM experience, bring some credibility iaround the league n order to attract good coaches, and someone that can make good late round picks. Before he joined the 49ers in 2005 Baalke was with the Skins from 2001-2004 and the Jets from 1998-2000 as a scout. If we briefly look at who these teams drafted during that time, it is obvious that this guy does not have a good eye for talent. In 1998 from top of the draft to bottom, the Jets took: 1.no pick 2.Dorian Boose(DE),3.Scott Frost(CB), 4. Jason Fabini(OT) 5. Casey Daily(LB) 5. Doug Karczewski (OT) 6. Chris Brazzell (WR) 7. Lawerence Hart (TE).
1999 jets took 1.no pick 2.Randy Tomas (OG) 3. David Loverne (OG) 4 Jason Wiltz (OT) 5. jermaine Jones(CB) 6. Marc Megna(LB) 7. Ryan Young (OT).
2001 Skins took: 1. Rod Garner (WR) 2. Fred Smoot (CB) 3.no pick 4. Sage Rosenfels 5. Darnerien McCants (WR) 6. Mario Monds (DT) 7. no pick.
2002 Skins drafted: 1. Patrick Ramsey(QB) 2. Ladell Betts(RB) 3. Rashad Bauman(CB)4. no pick. 5 Andre Lott (S) 6. Reggie Coleman(T) 7. Jeff Grau (C)
2003 Skins: 1. no pick 2. Taylor Jacobs (WR) 3. Derrick Dockery (OG) 4 no pick
5.no pick 6. no pick 7. Gibran Hamdan (QB)
2004 Skins: 1. Sean Taylor (FS) 2. no pick 3. Chris Cooley (TE) 4. no pick 5. Mark Wilson (OT) 6. Jim Molinaro (OT)7. no pick.
Not exactly a group of guys that are future Hall of Famers. Less than a handful were even starters. Since 2005 besides Frank Gore and the obvious 1st round picks that fell to us, we have yet to build a team with mid and late round picks. That is what separates teams that stay competitive like N.E., GB, BAL, PIT. from us. We need to find someone that has enough respect in the league where people want to come in to SF and be a part of the rebuilding process. Yeah it is unknown what he can do until he gets a shot but it has been said if you ask who has been calling the shots around Ninerland, Trent Baalke would be that guy. He was not successful as a scout, it is unlikely that he will be successful as a GM. The Yorks need to stop cutting corners and start paying for some real advisors to build this franchise around because Jed is not getting it done. The Niners are a sleeping Giant looking for someone else to awake us besides Baalke.

You do realize that the "Talent Scout" doesn't make the decisions as to who gets drafted???

All they do is compile info on all available college players...
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
The amount of people who voted for option #3 worries me greatly. You do not promote a noob to an NFL GM position in order to land a noob as an NFL HC.

We have lots and lots of kids in the webzone.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

I must admit the he's quickly learning the PR end of it although most of what he's doing is starting to become obvious.

Just for the record. I have nothing against Baalke, but it would have been nice if they are able to interview ALL possible candidates. But think about it, how many legitimate successful candidate would interview now, now that Baalke seems to be a lock.

You know who also was an unknown GM who hired an unknown coach neither of which had previous GM or coaching experience?

Dimitrov and Mike Smith in Atlanta.

You know who spends money like its no object? Daniel Snyder, he also hired an experienced GM in Bruce Allen and a proven winner in Shanihan. Hell they also went out and bought a proven winner and even potential hall of famer at QB in McNabb.

My point is just because we had a bad year doesn't mean that cleaning house hiring "proven winners" and over paying for name value is going to change things. And hiring unknowns with talent but no name value isn't necessarily a bad thing either. I'm not saying we go that route. My point is we need to get the right guys, and we shouldn't base the process soley on names. We shouldn't be upset if the pick isnt necessarily a big splash. We just want the right people.
Share 49ersWebzone