There are 246 users in the forums

Singletary calls Ohio St coach, Jim Tressel, asking about Troy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by excelsior:
Boy, it is sure looking like BALT screwed up big time cutting Troy and only keeping 2 QBs - Flacco and Bulger - on the roster

It was in the best interest of Troy perhaps. He is starting QB material that should not be wasted on a team that is lead by Flacco.
How bomb would it be if Troy turned out to be a legit QB and then played the ravens and opened up a can of whoop a$$ on them.
Man that's a nice read, I bet MM and MB don't even know about that article.

Thanks for posting it!

I got my ready.
i think our coaches not knowing our players is ridiculous. this isnt even the first time. jimmy raye didnt even know who brian westbrook was and hes been a premier back for almost the entire decade. I like Troy and i hope he lights it up and saves this team from itself but i still would like to see Nate Davis get a shot if Troy fails. Carr doesnt need to be on the team anymore. i wanna see Troy in an opened up offense to see what he can really do. hopefully Tressel explained to singletary that Troy can do a lot more than just hand off to Frank Gore.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
When I first saw the thread topic I said to my self " singletary is a clueless b*****d that doesn't have enough time bc he is lost to properly evaluate his own players.

But then I respected how Singletary as an NFL coach called a college coach to get insight is pretty baldy and an act of solidarity. That takes cojones to do and is best interest of team over ego.

Ps I hate singletary is still our coach at 2-6

I hear ya, but when I read this..

"Coach, I'm just contemplating a decision I have to make and I don't know as much about Troy as I'd like to and I'm calling around."

I don't understand how our coaches seem to never know about our players...I've heard Sing say this on numerous occasions about different players, Raye say this over and over...and I believe even Mike Johnson.

its like they have no input into who we brought in....or they just don't really research when they first decide to get these guys or something.

Exactly!! Any other HC would have made that call BEFORE bringing Troy Smith to San Fran.
[ Edited by NorthNiner on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Boy, it is sure looking like BALT screwed up big time cutting Troy and only keeping 2 QBs - Flacco and Bulger - on the roster

1 game.

Once upon a time, 3/4 of the zone was excited about JTO.

-9fA

And they were once excited about Alex Smith too. It's called having hope...

We need consistency and I hope Troy can give that to us.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by RonMexico:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

so you know hes gonna be a baller for us

He's got an ego problem...#1 as a jersey number? ick

I think it's probably because he wore number 10 in college, but Kyle williams wears 10...I doubt it has to do with his ego, could be though
Singlecell will certainly go down in history as a guy who develops QBs, his inquisitive mind always on top of every nuance of the position and the strengths and weaknesses of every player.

Judging by his knowledge of the most important position on the team, we can rest assured that he is on top of every player at every position and that his system takes full advantage of the abilities of every player.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
When I first saw the thread topic I said to my self " singletary is a clueless b*****d that doesn't have enough time bc he is lost to properly evaluate his own players.

But then I respected how Singletary as an NFL coach called a college coach to get insight is pretty baldy and an act of solidarity. That takes cojones to do and is best interest of team over ego.

Ps I hate singletary is still our coach at 2-6

I hear ya, but when I read this..

"Coach, I'm just contemplating a decision I have to make and I don't know as much about Troy as I'd like to and I'm calling around."

I don't understand how our coaches seem to never know about our players...I've heard Sing say this on numerous occasions about different players, Raye say this over and over...and I believe even Mike Johnson.

its like they have no input into who we brought in....or they just don't really research when they first decide to get these guys or something.

Exactly!! Any other HC would have made that call BEFORE bringing Troy Smith to San Fran.

While I agree that it seems illogical, its the GMs responsibility to bring players in. Not the head coach. GMs have scouts, etc. underneath them to do exactly that; evaluate players. I think picking Troy up was a no-brainer under the circumstances they were in. They had to part ways with Hill, Nate failed in pre-season (thanks to Raye IMO), and Troy became available.
Originally posted by susweel:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

He does it to honor Moon.

Which other black QB could he have idolized? Either Moon or Cunningham, and hes not 6'5 like Randall

Originally posted by theninermaniac:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

Which other black QB could he have idolized? Either Moon or Cunningham, and hes not 6'5 like Randall

Vick!
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

Vick!

or mcnabb or jake plummer
Originally posted by BleedRandG:

It was in the best interest of Troy perhaps. He is starting QB material that should not be wasted on a team that is lead by Flacco.

I recall during Flacco's rookie season Suggs n' Lewis were in full protest of Troy getting snubbed (Smith's leadership/personality in the locker room had a tight grip over Flacco and Boller in the QB competition).

Who knew what could have become of Troy if he hadn't had tonsils, it could have possibly shaped into a Kolb/Vick-like situation down there.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Man that's a nice read, I bet MM and MB don't even know about that article.

Thanks for posting it!

I got my ready.

MM just wrote about it
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Hehehehe....

I love his #1 jersey.

Even though I watched Warren Moon beat us live on Christmas in '93.

I like it too....but he's probably just wearing it because #10 isn't available.
Share 49ersWebzone