LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Singletary calls Ohio St coach, Jim Tressel, asking about Troy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/49ers-coach-calls-tressel-seeking-advice-on-smith-995075.html

Quote:
When San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary began pondering who he'd start at QB last week, he picked up the phone.

Among the people Singletary called was Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, who mentored 2006 Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith.

Tressel got Singletary's voice mail and his mind raced.

"As a parent, I'm like, 'Ooh, what'd Troy do?'" he said.

But Smith was among the possibilities to be the starting QB for the 49ers when they played the Denver Broncos last weekend at Wembley Stadium in London.

"I didn't realize he was calling from London," Tressel said on Thursday. "I had no idea, and it was in the middle of the night for him. He said, 'Coach, I'm just contemplating a decision I have to make and I don't know as much about Troy as I'd like to and I'm calling around.'"
Mike Johnson also explains why they were conservative in the 1st half.
Boy, it is sure looking like BALT screwed up big time cutting Troy and only keeping 2 QBs - Flacco and Bulger - on the roster
Thanks for posting that, Desi, it was very interesting. While it isn't entirely clear from the quotation, it sounds like a conservative first half followed by the "normal" offense may have been the game plan, regardless of how the game progressed. If that's true, I guess the staff trusts T. Smith more than perhaps we were led to believe.

Again, thanks for the interesting read.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Boy, it is sure looking like BALT screwed up big time cutting Troy and only keeping 2 QBs - Flacco and Bulger - on the roster

Not really. Troy might be an exciting little guy but Flacco's a franchise QB and Bulger has been succesfull before.

Yeah the 5-2 Ravens would be...uh...5-2 with Troy on the roster.

1 game.

Once upon a time, 3/4 of the zone was excited about JTO.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

so you know hes gonna be a baller for us
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Thanks for posting that, Desi, it was very interesting. While it isn't entirely clear from the quotation, it sounds like a conservative first half followed by the "normal" offense may have been the game plan, regardless of how the game progressed. If that's true, I guess the staff trusts T. Smith more than perhaps we were led to believe.

Again, thanks for the interesting read.

True. As much as most of us wanted to see the offense opened up, there really is so much they gonna trust Smith with initially.
So Sing demoted Nate Davis, got Troy Smith and LATER asked Jim Tressel if he could play?

Great find & read!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Article no longer available.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

He's got an ego problem...#1 as a jersey number? ick
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great find & read!

it dont work anymore
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by RonMexico:

1 game.

-9fA

but Troy is black

He's got an ego problem...#1 as a jersey number? ick

He does it to honor Moon.
Share 49ersWebzone