LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Singletary calls Ohio St coach, Jim Tressel, asking about Troy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It bothers me that our HC has to call Troy's college coach for information as if it were the NFL Draft.

Why?

Because it shows Singletary doesn't have very many connections around the NFL in terms of coaches to try and get at Troy's BAL coaches at the time.

Also because it tells me Singletary didn't even consider Troy or look at him when he threw any type of ball in practice or didn't get to know him at all.

Good news:

This means it was ALL Trent Baalke in acquiring Troy. Man, in the future, Baalke needs more power in personnel decisions.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It bothers me that our HC has to call Troy's college coach for information as if it were the NFL Draft.

Why?

Because it shows Singletary doesn't have very many connections around the NFL in terms of coaches to try and get at Troy's BAL coaches at the time.

Also because it tells me Singletary didn't even consider Troy or look at him when he threw any type of ball in practice or didn't get to know him at all.

Good news:

This means it was ALL Trent Baalke in acquiring Troy. Man, in the future, Baalke needs more power in personnel decisions.

Well why would Sing need to pay attention to any other QB on the roster when he's forced his will upon Alex Smith to lead this team to the playoffs!!!

Why?

Good news:

baalke has been in charge of all the decisions that make sense, singletary is responsible for the other kind of decisions. can someone please explain why carr is on the active roster still? when he was playing they didnt even trust him to throw the ball so why keep him? putting dixon and gore back there in the wildcat makes more sense than playing carr ever again. they need to cut carr and bring up Nate Davis, he knows a lot of the playbook and he actually gives us a snowballs chance in hell at QB, carr doesnt give us anything.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Why?

Good news:

baalke has been in charge of all the decisions that make sense, singletary is responsible for the other kind of decisions. can someone please explain why carr is on the active roster still? when he was playing they didnt even trust him to throw the ball so why keep him? putting dixon and gore back there in the wildcat makes more sense than playing carr ever again. they need to cut carr and bring up Nate Davis, he knows a lot of the playbook and he actually gives us a snowballs chance in hell at QB, carr doesnt give us anything.

How do we even know that Singletary didn't call anyone else on top of calling the Ohio State coach. For all we know, he could have called Billick and his staffback in 2007
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Why?

Good news:

How do we even know that Singletary didn't call anyone else on top of calling the Ohio State coach. For all we know, he could have called Billick and his staffback in 2007

i think singletary may have looked at the fild of coach billick talking to Troy but i dont think he actually talked to Billick
You think if Sing wanted to know about Troy, he would have called Ozzie Newsome or the HC of the Ravens to see what they had to say about this QB who they worked with for four years. Perhaps they didn't want to be told the truth.
Originally posted by excelsior:
You think if Sing wanted to know about Troy, he would have called Ozzie Newsome or the HC of the Ravens to see what they had to say about this QB who they worked with for four years. Perhaps they didn't want to be told the truth.

I quote the article "Coach, I'm just contemplating a decision I have to make and I don't know as much about Troy as I'd like to and I'm calling around"

Calling around would imply that he called more than Tressel. The only reason it has anything to do with Tressel is because its from an Ohio news source, go figure. But people just love to go off the deep end around here.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
When I first saw the thread topic I said to my self " singletary is a clueless b*****d that doesn't have enough time bc he is lost to properly evaluate his own players.

But then I respected how Singletary as an NFL coach called a college coach to get insight is pretty baldy and an act of solidarity. That takes cojones to do and is best interest of team over ego.

Ps I hate singletary is still our coach at 2-6

I hear ya, but when I read this..

"Coach, I'm just contemplating a decision I have to make and I don't know as much about Troy as I'd like to and I'm calling around."

I don't understand how our coaches seem to never know about our players...I've heard Sing say this on numerous occasions about different players, Raye say this over and over...and I believe even Mike Johnson.

its like they have no input into who we brought in....or they just don't really research when they first decide to get these guys or something.

Exactly!! Any other HC would have made that call BEFORE bringing Troy Smith to San Fran.

While I agree that it seems illogical, its the GMs responsibility to bring players in. Not the head coach. GMs have scouts, etc. underneath them to do exactly that; evaluate players. I think picking Troy up was a no-brainer under the circumstances they were in. They had to part ways with Hill, Nate failed in pre-season (thanks to Raye IMO), and Troy became available.

What GM? Didn't Scott Mc leave before the draft? I guess you mean Baalke who I believe is a VP of something. Jed said there was no need for a GM after Scott left. Jed only promoted Scott Mc to take power away from Nolan, not because he was qualified or because the position was needed in the organization. The Yorks don't know what they are doing. Oh wait, I guess I've posted that before somewhere.
[ Edited by NorthNiner on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by excelsior:

I quote the article "Coach, I'm just contemplating a decision I have to make and I don't know as much about Troy as I'd like to and I'm calling around"

Calling around would imply that he called more than Tressel. The only reason it has anything to do with Tressel is because its from an Ohio news source, go figure. But people just love to go off the deep end around here.

Well said.

But you know...

[ Edited by redrathman on Nov 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM ]
THE GLORY DAYS ARE BACK TROY SMITH THE FUTURE!! SMITH TO WALKER THE "CATCH 2"

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by GEEK:

He's got an ego problem...#1 as a jersey number? ick

Hehehehe....

I love his #1 jersey.

Even though I watched Warren Moon beat us live on Christmas in '93.

I like it too....but he's probably just wearing it because #10 isn't available.

You're probably right, but it brings back old times. I miss the old times.
Originally posted by ace130:
THE GLORY DAYS ARE BACK TROY SMITH THE FUTURE!! SMITH TO WALKER THE "CATCH 3"

fixed but lol this made my day
Can't wait til the off season. Tired of hanging on to false hope year after year.

The only thing I am hopeful for is that this off season BIG changes have to happen.
He should have asked him how to coach a football team.
Share 49ersWebzone