LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's see now. We have played 4 games and Alex has 7 INT's already. So he's averaging very close to 2 INT's/game. So on this pace he would rack up approximately 32 INT's if he played the entire year
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Let's see now. We have played 4 games and Alex has 7 INT's already. So he's averaging very close to 2 INT's/game. So on this pace he would rack up approximately 32 INT's if he played the entire year

but they're all Crabtree's fault, haven't you heard?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

most of them are, and in all honesty he is directly responsible for at least 2
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Sheesh, there's so many things wrong with our QB that it's hard to stay away from.

Do you guys ever notice that most of the completions, especially to the WR's have been to receivers who are almost a yard open? That's considered wide open!

How often have you seen Alex complete a tight completion or make a throw that splits defenders into the basket of the receiver?

The excuse about having better receivers is done with. We have better receivers and I think it is obvious that our QB just can't get the ball to receivers who are "open" as defined by NFL standards.

He also stares at his throw too often.

This game is too fast for him which is why he can't make that tight throw. Personally, I don't think he has the physical throwing ability to make for how fast the NFL game is for this process:

---see the defense>adjust to the lane>see closest receiver>set feet>make the release>power to get it there

by the way, nothing you've stated above can be explained or justified by an Alexcuse®. Its not a function of new OCs or new HCs or injuries or needing more time or bad receivers or anything else.

It's a function of Alex Smith being a slow learning, meek, non-instinctual, and highly innacurrate QB that cannot be counted on, esp in the clutch. He could spend 15 years in the same system and none of his personal liabilities would be any different. The system would simply have to adapt to his liabilities, and vice verse.

Ok, Shaj who do you want us to draft next year...who is our future savior?

We draft the best players available next year, QB or not. The main thing benching Alex Smith does is send us into a definable moment. It sends us into a Smith less era, which is a good thing no different than sending us into a Kwame Harris less era.

Sometimes a good move is to remove something that has held you down even if it's not immediately replaceable by something better. However, we can replace it with something that we are not committed to and that's a good thing.

Missing the point Joe, I want Shaj the QB coach of the decade to point out which QB we will draft and why. He can point out every issue with Smith and why he is a failure, I want to see him point out his winner.

That's a somewhat unfair argument you're making. I think there is enough evidence stacking up that Smith isn't the answer. I disagreed with Shaj for a long time, saying this is the year to really evaluate Smith and he so far hasn't delivered.

Just because someone can spot the flaws in something doesn't necessarily mean they can fix or diagnose the problems. Think of your car. You can tell when there is something wrong with it and it isn't running right, but unless you are mechanically inclined, you can't tell what is exactly wrong, or how to fix it, or whether the car you plan on buying will suffer from the same or similar issues.

You're joking right?

actually 4 of them are from crabtree tipping the ball instead of catching it.

You're joking right?

i can think of one. another, smith rifled it at crabtree when he was only 4 yards away, right at crabtrees shoulderpad.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Otter:
Sheesh, there's so many things wrong with our QB that it's hard to stay away from.

Do you guys ever notice that most of the completions, especially to the WR's have been to receivers who are almost a yard open? That's considered wide open!

How often have you seen Alex complete a tight completion or make a throw that splits defenders into the basket of the receiver?

The excuse about having better receivers is done with. We have better receivers and I think it is obvious that our QB just can't get the ball to receivers who are "open" as defined by NFL standards.

This game is too fast for him which is why he can't make that tight throw. Personally, I don't think he has the physical throwing ability to make for how fast the NFL game is for this process:

---see the defense>adjust to the lane>see closest receiver>set feet>make the release>power to get it there

by the way, nothing you've stated above can be explained or justified by an Alexcuse®. Its not a function of new OCs or new HCs or injuries or needing more time or bad receivers or anything else.

It's a function of Alex Smith being a slow learning, meek, non-instinctual, and highly innacurrate QB that cannot be counted on, esp in the clutch. He could spend 15 years in the same system and none of his personal liabilities would be any different. The system would simply have to adapt to his liabilities, and vice verse.

We draft the best players available next year, QB or not. The main thing benching Alex Smith does is send us into a definable moment. It sends us into a Smith less era, which is a good thing no different than sending us into a Kwame Harris less era.

Sometimes a good move is to remove something that has held you down even if it's not immediately replaceable by something better. However, we can replace it with something that we are not committed to and that's a good thing.

Missing the point Joe, I want Shaj the QB coach of the decade to point out which QB we will draft and why. He can point out every issue with Smith and why he is a failure, I want to see him point out his winner.

That's a somewhat unfair argument you're making. I think there is enough evidence stacking up that Smith isn't the answer. I disagreed with Shaj for a long time, saying this is the year to really evaluate Smith and he so far hasn't delivered.

Just because someone can spot the flaws in something doesn't necessarily mean they can fix or diagnose the problems. Think of your car. You can tell when there is something wrong with it and it isn't running right, but unless you are mechanically inclined, you can't tell what is exactly wrong, or how to fix it, or whether the car you plan on buying will suffer from the same or similar issues.

Yeah, I wasn't convinced that Rodgers was the right answer, but I was convinced that Smith was the wrong answer, and I stated that emphatically from day 1. People here remember. I don't pretend to be a draft guru, but I am pretty good at dissecting lame accountability models in business, and what we have done wrong with Smith, more than anything else, is not hold him accountable for his performances. Right now I'd rather have noodle-arm Shaun Hill.

Yeah, I wasn't convinced that Rodgers was the right answer, but I was convinced that Smith was the wrong answer, and I stated that emphatically from day 1. People here remember. I don't pretend to be a draft guru, but I am pretty good at dissecting lame accountability models in business, and what we have done wrong with Smith, more than anything else, is not hold him accountable for his performances. Right now I'd rather have noodle-arm Shaun Hill.

So what you're saying is that you have no answer or insight? It's easier to complain about the situation then offer any insight or ideas regarding the situation? You cant tell me one kid who has it, that "it" factor that you keep saying Smith doesn't have?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Where does it say "getting worse" ?

lol

here is the other thing I have pointed out since day 1. Too bad our GM's and lots of fans can't figure this out.

Just because you NEED a franchise QB does not mean there is one available. Plenty of drafts have produced only QB's with average careers.

Lots of people were wrong about Rodgers including myself, but back in 05 I considered that a year where you should skip drafting a QB. Since 05 I have really liked at least one QB each year, some years I liked 2 or 3 of them. 2011 is the first time I don't like any of the QB's since I felt the same in 2005.

But, because 2011 will also be the first time since 2005 that the Franchise is officially looking for their next QB I am positive they are going to reach again.

I just think it is egotistical to think in terms of "I need, therefore there must be something for me"

Sometimes you have to wait. But we won't. We'll force it.

I hope I am wrong about Luck, Locker and Mallet.....just like I hoped I was wrong about Smith too.
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM ]
Originally posted by danimal:

here is the other thing I have pointed out since day 1. Too bad our GM's and lots of fans can't figure this out.

Just because you NEED a franchise QB does not mean there is one available. Plenty of drafts have produced only QB's with average careers.

Lots of people were wrong about Rodgers including myself, but back in 05 I considered that a year where you should skip drafting a QB. Since 05 I have really liked at least one QB each year, some years I liked 2 or 3 of them. 2011 is the first time I don't like any of the QB's since I felt the same in 2005.

But, because 2011 will also be the first time since 2005 that the Franchise is officially looking for their next QB I am positive they are going to reach again.

I just think it is egotistical to think in terms of "I need, therefore there must be something for me"

I hope I am wrong about Luck, Locker and Mallet.....just like I hoped I was wrong about Smith too.

It wouldn't have mattered if we didn't draft him because we probably would have picked up Matt Lienart the following year.

I have no problem drafting Smith. I have a problem with all this "everything else needs to be improved (even after it already has) before we can evaluate Smith.

6 years!!! It has been time 3 years ago. We should have seen fate when his shoulder got hurt that the NFL just isn't for him. Or maybe when 2 journeyman QB's beat him out and keeping him automatically put us into accepting mediocre.

I'm sorry but a QB who displays NFL ability does not get beat out by journeyman QB's. Bradford, Flacco, Ryan,...do not get beat out by journeymen QB's.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

You are ignoring the business and economic side of football and the draft. A #1 pick overall dictates that you select either a QB, LT, or pure cover corner. Any other position is not worth the required investment based on the current slotting and escalation from the prior year. In 2005 I wanted Braylon Edwards, but it didn't make sense to pay a receiver that kind of money.

Also on the business side, when you have multiple needs and want to get the fan base fired up to buy season tickets, selecting a new "Face of the Franchise" provides the best return. I believe the Rams had doubts about Bradford and preferred Suh, but when trying to sell tickets Bradford was the smart choice. Looks like a good one now. And it also provides the coaching staff time. If they take Suh and finish 6-10 they're probably fired. Bradford and 6-10 they can say it takes 3 years to develop a QB.

The 49ers were screwed by a perfect storm of not hiring the proper front office, hiring a legacy coach to lead the team, having the #1 pick in a draft that was considered by everyone to be weak overall, and especially weak at the QB position.

It wouldn't have mattered if we didn't draft him because we probably would have picked up Matt Lienart the following year.

I have no problem drafting Smith. I have a problem with all this "everything else needs to be improved (even after it already has) before we can evaluate Smith.

6 years!!! It has been time 3 years ago. We should have seen fate when his shoulder got hurt that the NFL just isn't for him. Or maybe when 2 journeyman QB's beat him out and keeping him automatically put us into accepting mediocre.

I'm sorry but a QB who displays NFL ability does not get beat out by journeyman QB's. Bradford, Flacco, Ryan,...do not get beat out by journeymen QB's.

JoeCool that is a fair statement. I also have said from day 1 that it is not a HUGE BLOW to draft the wrong QB....its a HUGE BLOW to keep one for too long.

IMO, the day Rocky Bernard pancaked Alex should have been the day this Franchise should have gambled on somebody else.

You are ignoring the business and economic side of football and the draft. A #1 pick overall dictates that you select either a QB, LT, or pure cover corner. Any other position is not worth the required investment based on the current slotting and escalation from the prior year. In 2005 I wanted Braylon Edwards, but it didn't make sense to pay a receiver that kind of money.

Also on the business side, when you have multiple needs and want to get the fan base fired up to buy season tickets, selecting a new "Face of the Franchise" provides the best return. I believe the Rams had doubts about Bradford and preferred Suh, but when trying to sell tickets Bradford was the smart choice. Looks like a good one now. And it also provides the coaching staff time. If they take Suh and finish 6-10 they're probably fired. Bradford and 6-10 they can say it takes 3 years to develop a QB.

The 49ers were screwed by a perfect storm of not hiring the proper front office, hiring a legacy coach to lead the team, having the #1 pick in a draft that was considered by everyone to be weak overall, and especially weak at the QB position.

that theory is flawed. I have been hating on that one for a long time as well. Yes, we would have overpaid Braylon Edwards or Ronnie Brown(the 2 guys I wanted).....but you still get something for your money.....as opposed to virtually nothing.

For the record, I too would lean towards QB. LT and cover Corner with my #1 pick also.....BUT BUT BUT, unless I really don't like the QB, LT or CC available to me...because if I really don't like them....I will over pay the next BPA and live with that instead.

I am not ignoring that little theory, I just think I know a better one
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone