There are 209 users in the forums

What a bummer, Balmer!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I bet you ALOT of money it is problems with his gf/wife (I remember seeing her in a video documentary on him being drafted). These secretive family issues generally always are (given that deaths and serious illnesses are documented), and my guess is the distance of being away and focused on football is ruining that relationship (as it does with most player wives). He's probably learning a thing or two about priorities right now. I'd give it a week and then worry. Kentwan has been one of the hardest offseason workers (even staying at the facility in the offseason since he was drafted. I wouldn't read into it as him being a bum or lazy.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
yea hes a bust because he missed his first practice of training camp ...

fail

No he's a bust because the highlight of his career was recovering a squib kick
What a waste of a pick!
Who cares. He's a BUST!

This clown has been a bust since day one!

Hope he's gone!!!
Originally posted by jgalvan:
Who cares. He's a BUST!

This clown has been a bust since day one!

Hope he's gone!!!

I hope he sorts his problem out, returns and contributes to the team. And incidentally, he hasn't been a bust since day one. Very, very few players are so bad that they can be called busts that early. He is a hard working guy and it is a position that needs development time.

To date he has been a disappointment. But to wish him gone is
Trade his Ass for a conditional 6th rounder, and sign a vet at the 53 man cut down!
time to chunk up the deuces on this bust

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Trade his Ass for a conditional 6th rounder, and sign a vet at the 53 man cut down!

He has no trade value in this league.

He's done. Just cut him.

-9fA
Although Balmer does appear to be a wasted first round pick, I wouldn't go so far as to say that McCloughn was a bad GM. I mean, just look at the entire 2007 draft. That draft was GREAT. Patrick Willis,Joe Satley, Jason Hill, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, and Tarell Brown. That's a great draft. And 2006 was Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Delanie Walker, and Michale Robinson. Good to great players, and stud special teamers. Even 2008 was o.k. Besides Balmer, we got two starters out of that draft as well, with Rachal and Morgan. Last years class, if you only had Crabtree, that was good enough. And let's face it, McCloughn had a lot to do with this years class as well, and I think it was great too. So, yes, Balmer was probably a bad pick, but there's been some really good ones along the way, as well. This team has been built almost entirely through the draft, and it looks like a playoff team, finally. That bodes well for our future.
Looks like the Niners are going to have to turn the page on this guy...........no big loss, but a nuisance. Good thing it's early in the preseason and there are 14 other teams that run the 3-4. There should be some veteran help available after the second or third round of cutdowns.

Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
This is why these young players should not get so much money at once...some of them just cannot handle it and exhibit irresponsible behavior. As the parent of two 20-somethings, these players who get a lot of up front $$$ should get an allowance or something, if they cannot act like adults. We are about to discharge a first-round pick who has PRODUCED NOTHING.

But why are you mad?

Might you be mad at...

Scot McCloughan for drafting a player with one excellent senior season in the first round when most people predicted he'd slide into the second while passing on Tracy Porter, Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson and Ray Rice?

Kentwan Balmer for under-performing at a position he didn't play in college and then getting injured?

Yourself for buying into the pick and then getting emotionally burned after Balmer didn't meet your expectations?

The NFL Draft is still very much a gamble. Glenn Dorsey (5th Overall) and Sedrick Ellis (7th Overall) have both struggled. I'd argue that every defensive line pick through the first round hasn't met expectations.
MaioccoCSN

Mike Singletary says he's done talking about Balmer.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

He has no trade value in this league.

He's done. Just cut him.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erlover:
Although Balmer does appear to be a wasted first round pick, I wouldn't go so far as to say that McCloughn was a bad GM. I mean, just look at the entire 2007 draft.

Scot McCloughan wasn't the General Manager and didn't have full authority over the draft until 2008. He was simply a highly paid personnel guy.
MBachCSN

Coach Sing told Balmer to be here this morning: says won't be a distraction. Says "if" he comes back to ask him. Will look to bring in another player to back up Justin Smith if has to
Share 49ersWebzone