There are 257 users in the forums

What a bummer, Balmer!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
while the main subject is on his personal issue (while this is probably some family issue such as sickness/death) I have to make a comment on this bust thing. it is entirely possible that 1st round picks can end up being backups or role players. sometimes the blame is entirely on the drafter not the draftee. he should have been drafted later than he was. we have several 1st rounders who are backups on our team. I know he wasnt a high draft pick but it was a couple years till franklin got a lot of playin time.

This is true. If not mistaken Franklin sat the bench in Baltimore for 4 years and didn't make an impact with us until his 2nd year. Thats 5 years of non-productivity.

Balmer was selected too high but everyone knew he was a project and he probably would have been selected in the early 2nd round. Also he has Justin Smith and Isaac Soapaga in front of him at his position. Smith isn't going anywhere and Soap fits his role well.

I disagree that Balmer was picked too high. A concensus of major mock drafts that year had him in the first round at the 29th pick, exactly where he was picked.

I never saw him listed in any first round mock, the consensus to allot of people was that he was the 3rd best DT... still doesn't mean 1st round. And the majority of experts not named Keiper thought we reached for this pick.

That being said, good luck to him and whatever he is going through... I would still rather him be a productive player than get 5 minutes of laughter calling him a bust on a forum.

well you didnt do much research because he was a 1st rounder in most mocks

In fact, he was projected to go in the 15 to 20 range. He was not supposed to be there when we picked.
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
while the main subject is on his personal issue (while this is probably some family issue such as sickness/death) I have to make a comment on this bust thing. it is entirely possible that 1st round picks can end up being backups or role players. sometimes the blame is entirely on the drafter not the draftee. he should have been drafted later than he was. we have several 1st rounders who are backups on our team. I know he wasnt a high draft pick but it was a couple years till franklin got a lot of playin time.

This is true. If not mistaken Franklin sat the bench in Baltimore for 4 years and didn't make an impact with us until his 2nd year. Thats 5 years of non-productivity.

Balmer was selected too high but everyone knew he was a project and he probably would have been selected in the early 2nd round. Also he has Justin Smith and Isaac Soapaga in front of him at his position. Smith isn't going anywhere and Soap fits his role well.

I disagree that Balmer was picked too high. A concensus of major mock drafts that year had him in the first round at the 29th pick, exactly where he was picked.

I never saw him listed in any first round mock, the consensus to allot of people was that he was the 3rd best DT... still doesn't mean 1st round. And the majority of experts not named Keiper thought we reached for this pick.

That being said, good luck to him and whatever he is going through... I would still rather him be a productive player than get 5 minutes of laughter calling him a bust on a forum.

well you didnt do much research because he was a 1st rounder in most mocks

In fact, he was projected to go in the 15 to 20 range. He was not supposed to be there when we picked.

Touche' just googled it and it was 50/50 in the versions I looked at (being in 1st or not). Still I feel it was a reach considering the talent left on the board... but again I wish him the best and hope that know matter what is going on he comes out with a better mentality on what really matters in life.
Report: Kentwan Balmer connected to NCAA investigation

San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer is the latest player to be named in connection with an NCAA inquiry into the North Carolina football program, with a local newspaper saying he paid for two former college teammates to travel to California last year.

Balmer, who left 49ers camp for reasons that coach Mike Singletary wouldn't divulge yesterday, reportedly paid for trips for two of his college teammates, Marvin Austin and Cam Thomas, while they were still playing for North Carolina.

Thomas, a rookie defensive tackle for the San Diego Chargers, told the News & Observer, "'Twan paid for [the trip]."

This is really more a college football story than a pro football story (CFT has it covered), and the NCAA has no authority over former players like Balmer and Thomas at all. But as college coaches like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban start to turn on the NFL, and as the actions of people like Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and Saints running back Reggie Bush continue to have an impact on college football even after they've left for the NFL, Balmer is the latest NFL name to be linked to a significant NCAA story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/11/report-kentwan-balmer-connected-to-ncaa-investigation/
Originally posted by jreff22:

San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer is the latest player to be named in connection with an NCAA inquiry into the North Carolina football program, with a local newspaper saying he paid for two former college teammates to travel to California last year.

Balmer, who left 49ers camp for reasons that coach Mike Singletary wouldn't divulge yesterday, reportedly paid for trips for two of his college teammates, Marvin Austin and Cam Thomas, while they were still playing for North Carolina.

Thomas, a rookie defensive tackle for the San Diego Chargers, told the News & Observer, "'Twan paid for [the trip]."

This is really more a college football story than a pro football story (CFT has it covered), and the NCAA has no authority over former players like Balmer and Thomas at all. But as college coaches like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban start to turn on the NFL, and as the actions of people like Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and Saints running back Reggie Bush continue to have an impact on college football even after they've left for the NFL, Balmer is the latest NFL name to be linked to a significant NCAA story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/11/report-kentwan-balmer-connected-to-ncaa-investigation/

wth does this mean
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

wth does this mean

As far as repercussions for Balmer...no idea?

wth does this mean

Well, from my perspective...it'd be useless to suspend him 2 or 4 games since Balmer wouldn't be on the field anyway.

wth does this mean

No I mean I don't get what he did wrong..I don't know s**t about College Football so I don't see how

"paying for two former college teammates to travel to California last year" is an offense lol

wth does this mean

No I mean I don't get what he did wrong..I don't know s**t about College Football so I don't see how

"paying for two former college teammates to travel to California last year" is an offense lol

It's not like he bought tickets for a couple of buddies to come out and visit him. He purchased tickets so that these kids could workout at Proactive Sports Performance in Westlake Village, Calif. This is a potential violation to the NCAA's "preferential treatment" bylaw.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

wth does this mean

It's not like he bought tickets for a couple of buddies to come out and visit him. He purchased tickets so that these kids could workout at Proactive Sports Performance in Westlake Village, Calif. This is a potential violation to the NCAA's "preferential treatment" bylaw.

i would assume the investigation wont reach the point of reprecussions by this season

wth does this mean

interesting

wth does this mean

That's stupid.

What if Balmer was some type of role model and inspiration to these cats, so he paid for a ''workout.''

That's illegal?
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

wth does this mean

That's stupid.

What if Balmer was some type of role model and inspiration to these cats, so he paid for a ''workout.''

That's illegal?

Dez got in a world of s**t over some stuff like this, granted he lied about it but still...the NCAA takes this s**t seriously.
Absolutely nothing can happen to Kentwan, only to the University of North Carolina. He has no connection to the NCAA anymore. They can only punish the current players and the school. He is probably just super humiliated.
mattbarrows

Kentwan Balmer not at morning stretch.
MaioccoCSN

DL Kentwan Balmer is not stretching on the 49ers practice field. Coach Singletary had given him a couple days to handle "personal" stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone