LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Open Up The Offense...PLEASE!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by carlgo:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
i dont know how many times coach singletary has said this. and i can tell it irritates him every time they ask him.

we are not going to be a run only team. hes just trying to boost the run game itself.
we are going to run when we need to, and throw it when we need to. he wants balance.
got it dude!!!

This.

these.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This 'run first' or 'power-running' crap are words put in Sing's mouth by the media and most everyone is buying into it.

Sing/Raye were touting the whole smashmouth thing right from the start.

Sing hired the only OC who would believed in that system and would run it.

Right from the start the team ran the smashmouth and stayed with it for several games.

Sing talked smashmouth, played smashmouth and he stayed with smashmouth for quite some time. I don't think even his most ardent supporters would deny this and I don't understand why anyone would say it was made up, that none of this happened.

Nobody, not even the evil media that sometimes needs to be killed for delivering news you don't like, made this up or put words into anyone's mouth.

I must say, I am shocked and surprised, and perhaps a little chagrinned, to learn that football, specifically NFL football, is such a physical endeavor.

Presumably, these giant primatives that Mr. Singletary has drafted will try with equal fervor to impose their will upon their opponents when the team chooses to matriculate the ball down the field via the pass, just as they will do when the team chooses to run? And the defense will continue with their intentions re: "knocking some fools out?" Thought so.

Carry on.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
i dont know how many times coach singletary has said this. and i can tell it irritates him every time they ask him.

we are not going to be a run only team. hes just trying to boost the run game itself.
we are going to run when we need to, and throw it when we need to. he wants balance.
got it dude!!!

This.

these.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This 'run first' or 'power-running' crap are words put in Sing's mouth by the media and most everyone is buying into it.

Right from the start the team ran the smashmouth and stayed with it for several games.

Sing talked smashmouth, played smashmouth and he stayed with smashmouth for quite some time. I don't think even his most ardent supporters would deny this and I don't understand why anyone would say it was made up, that none of this happened.

Nobody, not even the evil media that sometimes needs to be killed for delivering news you don't like, made this up or put words into anyone's mouth.

I must say, I am shocked and surprised, and perhaps a little chagrinned, to learn that football, specifically NFL football, is such a physical endeavor.

Presumably, these giant primatives that Mr. Singletary has drafted will try with equal fervor to impose their will upon their opponents when the team chooses to matriculate the ball down the field via the pass, just as they will do when the team chooses to run? And the defense will continue with their intentions re: "knocking some fools out?" Thought so.

Carry on.

somebody is smiling

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

Carry on.

The point is not that the smashmouth thing is realistic or not, only that it wasn't the invention of the press.

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

Carry on.

The point is not that the smashmouth thing is realistic or not, only that it wasn't the invention of the press.

smashmouth does not equal "run first" which is all I was saying. I've never heard from Sing's mouth or read a quote from him saying that this will be a "run first team". But I have heard various media outlets assume that very thing.

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

Carry on.

smashmouth does not equal "run first" which is all I was saying. I've never heard from Sing's mouth or read a quote from him saying that this will be a "run first team". But I have heard various media outlets assume that very thing.

You are right. Sing hasn't brought up the run, run, run thing since the beginning of last year. Will he revert? I suspect he will try at times and there will be an outcry when he does. I expect that the "balanced" offense he has been talking about is probably pretty darn conservative, but at least he is leaning in the right direction.
ITT: People who don't understand what the word "balance" means.

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

Carry on.

You are right. Sing hasn't brought up the run, run, run thing since the beginning of last year. Will he revert? I suspect he will try at times and there will be an outcry when he does. I expect that the "balanced" offense he has been talking about is probably pretty darn conservative, but at least he is leaning in the right direction.

Maybe he'll be conservative, maybe he won't. Like I said in a previous post, the score will probably dictate that.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
How much more does the offense need to be opened up? , last season was the most I've ever seen a 49er QB in the shotgun formation, I know we did it out of desperation to get the offense moving.

Next year I'm hoping to see Alex under center a lot more and the shotgun used sparingly, we need to establish the run and develop our passing attack out of the base packages of I-Formations and Split backfields, we need to get back to 49er football and utilize all of our weapons in the short passing game and earn YAC, the shotgun limits what we can do in the running game and makes our passing attack predictable, just because we plan on being a power running team doesn't mean we cant bring back elements of the Walsh offense, it's who we are and we cant forget our roots, so with that said I would like to see a combination of three/four WR Sets and a good amount of WCO plays to keep our offense fresh and deadly

I agree with your overall view. But the Niners' roots isn't the West Coast Offense. You might as well say the roots is the Alley-Oop.

It's the offense that won us multiple superbowls, and it's been just about 30 years since that offense was implemented into the Niners scheme of things, thats a long time and obviously a part of our roots by now
Quote:
On whether the offense has been focusing more on the deep pass:

“I think the offense right now…Jimmy Raye knows that as [QB] Alex [Smith] gets a better control of the offense as the offensive line continues to develop their protection package and doing all of the things and understanding the language that we can open it up a bit. We can push the ball down the field a little bit more. Once again we’re still striving to reach that balance of the run and pass."

Singletary's Notebook- May 20

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

Carry on.

somebody is smiling

Nicely done.

Quote:
just because we plan on being a power running team doesnt mean we cant bring back elements of the walsh offense, it's who we are and we cant forget our roots

Quote:
The shotgun formation was invented by Howard "Red" Hickey, who, as the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, unveiled the new formation in a game against the Baltimore Colts in November, 1960, in order to give his quarterback more time to evade the Colts' awesome pass rush. The 49ers won the game, and later Hickey, as an assistant coach, convinced Dallas Cowboys head coach Tom Landry to use the formation, leading to its use throughout the NFL.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

How the hell do you figure that when last season run-run-pass-punt was what we did for the majority of our offensive series'?

How do I figure that?

How do you figure that all we did for 'the majority of our offensive series was run-run-pass-punt'?
30th in rushing attempts-23.2
21st in passing attempts-33 per game

run-run-pass-punt? not sure which team you were watching.

Under Shaun Hill we were run run pass punt. No denying that. When Smith came here, we changed the offense to a shotgun spread to suit his strengths.

+1

Don't have the stats to back it up, but that's sure how it seemed.

Games didn't always end up this way but it did seem like a lot of them started this way.
The NINER offense will be there for NINER FANS viewing satisfaction this season. I'm gonna watch every moment of it and enjoy it like I always have since '88.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Poor blocking seriously limits your offense.

This is an absolute statement. If you can't block well (run or pass), the offense becomes very basic/predictable. Add to that subpar receiving and a QB learning a new offensive system, it's a wonder we weren't dead last in offense. This is more acutely evidenced by 3rd down conversion rates. 49ers were very bad - in other words, when you needed to sustain a drive, could you? That's not a factor of play-calling as much it is offensive line production/play.

I hope that improves dramatically this season.

As I watched the 49ers v Jets circa 1998, Young threw the ball all over the field because the blocking was just excellent. Young had time. If you listen to Gumble and Sims, they repeated (more than a couple of times), 49er WRs could make "double moves" and "his WR ran clear across the field". Those plays are only possible with great blocking up front - and that's with Rice, Owens and Stokes at WR.

Hearst also had a big day running. You need blocking. You need blocking. You need blocking.

"Football is blocking and tackling."-----Vince Lombardi

If you can't block or tackle worth a f**k, you are going to lose. When it comes down to it, this game is pretty damn simple, it's blocking and tackling...he who does it better wins.
BALANCE
Share 49ersWebzone