LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Open Up The Offense...PLEASE!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
i dont know how many times coach singletary has said this. and i can tell it irritates him every time they ask him.

we are not going to be a run only team. hes just trying to boost the run game itself.
we are going to run when we need to, and throw it when we need to. he wants balance.
got it dude!!!

This.

these.
Well, I guess the Chron. lied when they quoted both Sing and Raye wanted to run the ball 60 percent. Don't you guys read the paper?

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This 'run first' or 'power-running' crap are words put in Sing's mouth by the media and most everyone is buying into it.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
i dont know how many times coach singletary has said this. and i can tell it irritates him every time they ask him.

we are not going to be a run only team. hes just trying to boost the run game itself.
we are going to run when we need to, and throw it when we need to. he wants balance.
got it dude!!!

This.

these.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This 'run first' or 'power-running' crap are words put in Sing's mouth by the media and most everyone is buying into it.

How the hell do you figure that when last season run-run-pass-punt was what we did for the majority of our offensive series'?

How do I figure that?

How do you figure that all we did for 'the majority of our offensive series was run-run-pass-punt'?
30th in rushing attempts-23.2
21st in passing attempts-33 per game

run-run-pass-punt? not sure which team you were watching.

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

How the hell do you figure that when last season run-run-pass-punt was what we did for the majority of our offensive series'?

How do I figure that?

How do you figure that all we did for 'the majority of our offensive series was run-run-pass-punt'?

Under Shaun Hill we were run run pass punt. No denying that. When Smith came here, we changed the offense to a shotgun spread to suit his strengths.

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

!. Did Sing and Raye state to the press and the world that they WANTED to run 60 percent of the time at the START of last season? YES!

2. With Hill at Q.B. did they TRY and FAIL to do so? YES!

3. Did they change more to a spread offense AFTER Smith took over? YES!

4. So if Sing and Raye BOTH stated that they WANTED to run the ball 60 percent of the time LAST season, who is putting words in their mouths?

How do I figure that?

Exactly.

A unsubstantiated claim gets repeated and it becomes fact around here so quickly.
We need a good line to PASS PROTECT too! We will throw the ball too!
Sometimes Raye was a horrible play caller. With an improved line we'll see how much of that is lack of execution.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

How do I figure that?

Under Shaun Hill we were run run pass punt. No denying that. When Smith came here, we changed the offense to a shotgun spread to suit his strengths.

+1

Don't have the stats to back it up, but that's sure how it seemed.
Originally posted by stevenking57:

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

How do I figure that?

Exactly.

A unsubstantiated claim gets repeated and it becomes fact around here so quickly.

dude you fail at quoting. So I did you a favor and erased your post out of mine. Scroll down to the END of the quote before you start typing.

Of course they said they want to run 60% of the time. If they are able to do that, 99 out of 100 times they are winning the game, thus killing time off the clock by running the football.

Do you run 60% of the time if you are losing the game? The answer is no, you are throwing the football all over the place to try to get back in the game. IF WE GET AHEAD EARLY, WE WILL BE RUNNING THE FOOTBALL, SO GET USED TO IT. Running the football with a commanding lead has all kinds of advantages including taking time off the clock, and keeping our defense and their offense off the field. If you're one of those guys who thinks that style of offense is boring, then I don't know what to tell you.

You are missing the point behind why they said that, but whatever, think what you want, it won't change anything. Do you really think that all these weapons we have; Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Ginn are just going to be running interference so we can run the football 35-40 times a game?????? Jesus Christ.

I think Sing/Raye want to get a lead with the passing game, and hold onto it with the running game. Not a hard concept to grasp, it's just a matter of e-x-e-c-u-t-i-o-n. The game scenario will dictate the run/pass ratio. Book it.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on May 3, 2010 at 22:09:38 ]
I think they did open up the offense last year, but I think having them have the same offensive coordinator for the first time ever in the Singletary / Nolan era. I say Nolan because this team has a lot of his vision.

The Colts have been running the same offense for 10 years. Think of what you can put into the offense, and the kind of timing that you have with your receivers and line. You can actually add in rookies and they can still perform because the rest of your team is so strong.

Singletary and Jimmy Raye have shown that they can adapt and address our weak spots.....the LINE, Team speed, a super speedy safety on defense, back up for Spikes, BIG Bruising back and our return game. Give Sing a little credit, I don't think we are going to go back to 1940's football. He wants balance, but he wants to be physical and play with an attitude and his draft showed it.

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

How do I figure that?

It's not about the # of pass attempts vs run attempts. The fact is, we tried to run-run-pass in the first half of the season (and parts of the 2nd) and we always ended up playing from behind. Why did we pass so much against the Packers and the Texans? Maybe b/c we were down by 3 TDs? I dunno, maybe?

There's more to the numbers. You have to actually, you know, watch the game. I love how people look at things so black and white. In any case, you said the media put words in Sing's mouth when he has clearly been quoted as saying he'd like to be a run first team. I don't get how it's hard to see that was exactly what led to our problems last year. Go ahead and look at the number of pass attempts. Our passing was a result of our ineptitude @ running (our 1st and 2nd choices). He's also been quoted recently as saying that he believes the QB position is not any more important than any other position on offense...which is one of the dumbest thing I've heard an NFL coach say in a while. We actually tried what he said he was going to do last year so why would this year be so different...anyway, there's plenty of thread on this very matter so I'm out.

[ Edited by Leathaface on May 4, 2010 at 00:15:08 ]

got it dude!!!

This.

let me quote Mike Singletary real quick
this was at the press conference after the first round.

from anonymous reporter.
Q: Mike, you talk about them both as being devastating blockers. does this signal that this may not be much of a spreed team next year and that your just going to run and keep running it?

Coach Sing
A:"this is what were going to do, i want to say this again. we want to have a balanced attack. but when we want to run the ball, when we need to run the ball were going to run the ball. but we want to have a balanced attack. we want to play good solid football. we feel that we have good personnel to do that. we can pass the ball with Michael Crabtree and the new addition of Ginn. and i feel like Josh is growing and developing, and we may add another receiver before its over. we want to be a versatile offense that can do what we need to do to win the game."

i hope this answers your question.

[ Edited by SFCH3DDERZ on May 4, 2010 at 00:30:39 ]
Can't open the offense with our QB. "Can't do it."

[ Edited by waiting4number6 on May 24, 2010 at 20:49:27 ]
Originally posted by stevenking57:

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

How do I figure that?

Exactly.

dude you fail at quoting. So I did you a favor and erased your post out of mine. Scroll down to the END of the quote before you start typing.

Of course they said they want to run 60% of the time. If they are able to do that, 99 out of 100 times they are winning the game, thus killing time off the clock by running the football.

Do you run 60% of the time if you are losing the game? The answer is no, you are throwing the football all over the place to try to get back in the game. IF WE GET AHEAD EARLY, WE WILL BE RUNNING THE FOOTBALL, SO GET USED TO IT. Running the football with a commanding lead has all kinds of advantages including taking time off the clock, and keeping our defense and their offense off the field. If you're one of those guys who thinks that style of offense is boring, then I don't know what to tell you.

You are missing the point behind why they said that, but whatever, think what you want, it won't change anything. Do you really think that all these weapons we have; Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Ginn are just going to be running interference so we can run the football 35-40 times a game?????? Jesus Christ.

I think Sing/Raye want to get a lead with the passing game, and hold onto it with the running game. Not a hard concept to grasp, it's just a matter of e-x-e-c-u-t-i-o-n. The game scenario will dictate the run/pass ratio. Book it.

Booked
I think that the coaches will see some improvement in Alex this season and that we will be a more balanced team except when we are protecting a lead in the game ...... then Singletary leans more toward the run if the OL can become more reliable and effective in supporting the run.
Share 49ersWebzone