There are 220 users in the forums

Open Up The Offense...PLEASE!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know a lot of folks feel that by drafting Iupati and Davis in the first round that our offense is going to be Sings dream team of running up between the guards on every play. Unfortunately, last year we tried this and we did lead the NFL in running between the guards. What did we get? Gore ran into a brick wall and was chewed up pretty well for his efforts. I HOPE that this is not true in the future. I hope that Sing allows Raye to operate an offense that’s more creative than last year’s three yards and a cloud of dust. It’s true that with our new front five, Davis, and Walker we may be able to kick some serious butt and “Impose our will,” but wouldn’t it be incredible if we would switch in and out, during a game, from the run down their throat mode to an offense that uses Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, and Davis in a form of the spread offense? As the coaches have said “Ginn can take the lid off the defense.” IF Raye can be creative in the play calling and formations we run, we have the talent, I think, to play smash mouth football AND have a high caliber passing attack. Although Walsh was/is thought of as a “passing” offensive genius, many don’t realize that except for the 1981 season, all the successful Walsh teams had great running attacks. I hope Sing realizes this and doesn’t try to run an offense that is twenty years in the past. Last year Sing and Raye said they wanted to run the ball 60 percent of the time. If they still have that as a goal for next season, we will be lucky to be 8-8 again.
If Sing tries to run his stated dream offense, this next year could be his last.
Or those 1yd losses up the middle start becoming 3yds gains.

Then on 3rd and short we can actually complete a third down. Which will increase the number of plays and the number of big plays for the offense.

You are right that balance is the key, but if you CAN run for first downs, then why not?

[ Edited by NinerBuff on May 3, 2010 at 15:11:31 ]
Remember when Alex had Antonio Bryant? He has 3 people (4 if you add VD to the mix) lined up wide with similar skills. So I agree, open it up!

Bryant's Stats:
2006 14 games 13 games started 40 rec 733 yards 18.3 avg 72 long 3 TD
i dont know how many times coach singletary has said this. and i can tell it irritates him every time they ask him.

we are not going to be a run only team. hes just trying to boost the run game itself.
we are going to run when we need to, and throw it when we need to. he wants balance.
got it dude!!!
Originally posted by stevenking57:
I know a lot of folks feel that by drafting Iupati and Davis in the first round that our offense is going to be Sings dream team of running up between the guards on every play. Unfortunately, last year we tried this and we did lead the NFL in running between the guards. What did we get? Gore ran into a brick wall and was chewed up pretty well for his efforts. I HOPE that this is not true in the future. I hope that Sing allows Raye to operate an offense that’s more creative than last year’s three yards and a cloud of dust. It’s true that with our new front five, Davis, and Walker we may be able to kick some serious butt and “Impose our will,” but wouldn’t it be incredible if we would switch in and out, during a game, from the run down their throat mode to an offense that uses Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, and Davis in a form of the spread offense? As the coaches have said “Ginn can take the lid off the defense.” IF Raye can be creative in the play calling and formations we run, we have the talent, I think, to play smash mouth football AND have a high caliber passing attack. Although Walsh was/is thought of as a “passing” offensive genius, many don’t realize that except for the 1981 season, all the successful Walsh teams had great running attacks. I hope Sing realizes this and doesn’t try to run an offense that is twenty years in the past. Last year Sing and Raye said they wanted to run the ball 60 percent of the time. If they still have that as a goal for next season, we will be lucky to be 8-8 again.
If Sing tries to run his stated dream offense, this next year could be his last.

Who's going to trow the ball though? I hope Alex improves and it's hard to believe that he wont; but, when your starting QB has more turnovers than TDs, I'm not sure you give him a whole lot of rope that he could use to hang the team. I know he had his best season ever last year and has done enough to be our off-season starter. I'm just not ready to give him more control with the O yet.

Maybe once he increases the TD to Turnover ratio I would be more comfortable with this...
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Who's going to trow the ball though? I hope Alex improves and it's hard to believe that he wont; but, when your starting QB has more turnovers than TDs, I'm not sure you give him a whole lot of rope that he could use to hang the team. I know he had his best season ever last year and has done enough to be our off-season starter. I'm just not ready to give him more control with the O yet.

Maybe once he increases the TD to Turnover ratio I would be more comfortable with this...

He did have an 18:12 TD to INT ratio last year in 10.5 games. That's a start at least...
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

He did have an 18:12 TD to INT ratio last year in 10.5 games. That's a start at least...

This will be the first year of operating the same offense. That alone is going to be a huge advantage for Smith and company. Good things ahead!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
i dont know how many times coach singletary has said this. and i can tell it irritates him every time they ask him.

we are not going to be a run only team. hes just trying to boost the run game itself.
we are going to run when we need to, and throw it when we need to. he wants balance.
got it dude!!!

This.

these.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This 'run first' or 'power-running' crap are words put in Sing's mouth by the media and most everyone is buying into it.
Anthony Davis and Iupati should allow the Niners to run not only up the middle but in traps through the tackle and sweeps around end. Both men, though big can move.

I also think that getting Dixon in as a second back (or fullback) and on the field with Gore opens a lot of possibilities. Defenses won't be able to key on Frank. The faster Dixon learns how and who to block (or the faster the coaches become comfortable with his blocking) the more potential. Fake handoff to Frank going left, feint pass to Dixon in the right flank, hit Crabtree, VD or Ginn long.

Now the speed. The Niners can potentially put Crabtree, Vernon, Ginn, Kyle Williams and LeRoy Vann in patterns on the same play. For instance, line up Vernon in the backfield (he can chip any rusher before getting into a pattern).

All the above fits in well with the idea of plays countering each other. Make the defense conscious of the OL's middle, call an end run; make them conscious of the run, call play action; send receivers long, call a screen (or bring back the wraparound draw); fake a screen and go long; connect long, and call a lead dive up the gut.

But what about Raye? I think at least some of Raye's reluctance to "open it up" was the potential killing of the QB on every play. When the QB regularly gets an extra second or two, the coaches will open it up IMO.

What I haven't seen from the offensive coaches is a plan of attack against the weakness of that week's defense. My hope is that when some more basic things are accomplished like reducing the riots in the Niners' backfield, they will spend more time figuring how to exploit their opponents' defenses.

It could be fun.
Last year, not only couldn't we get 1-2 yards when we neded a first down but we couldn't pass protect either. I feel we'll now be able to do both and do them well.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Anthony Davis and Iupati should allow the Niners to run not only up the middle but in traps through the tackle and sweeps around end. Both men, though big can move.

I also think that getting Dixon in as a second back (or fullback) and on the field with Gore opens a lot of possibilities. Defenses won't be able to key on Frank. The faster Dixon learns how and who to block (or the faster the coaches become comfortable with his blocking) the more potential. Fake handoff to Frank going left, feint pass to Dixon in the right flank, hit Crabtree, VD or Ginn long.

Now the speed. The Niners can potentially put Crabtree, Vernon, Ginn, Kyle Williams and LeRoy Vann in patterns on the same play. For instance, line up Vernon in the backfield (he can chip any rusher before getting into a pattern).

All the above fits in well with the idea of plays countering each other. Make the defense conscious of the OL's middle, call an end run; make them conscious of the run, call play action; send receivers long, call a screen (or bring back the wraparound draw); fake a screen and go long; connect long, and call a lead dive up the gut.

But what about Raye? I think at least some of Raye's reluctance to "open it up" was the potential killing of the QB on every play. When the QB regularly gets an extra second or two, the coaches will open it up IMO.

What I haven't seen from the offensive coaches is a plan of attack against the weakness of that week's defense. My hope is that when some more basic things are accomplished like reducing the riots in the Niners' backfield, they will spend more time figuring how to exploit their opponents' defenses.

It could be fun.

I agree. Last year Raye's reluctance to open it up was more a demonstration of the overall lack of skills and knowledge throughout the O-line and QBs. Raye's system has been effective in the past. Hopefully, with all the teams switching to 3-4, our behemoth O-line will crush teams.

Once the O-line solidifies, game plans should be more integrated for each week and the overall performance will increase as EVERYONE's knowledge base increases.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

This will be the first year of operating the same offense. That alone is going to be a huge advantage for Smith and company. Good things ahead!

This I agree with for sure.

got it dude!!!
Dude,
When last season started Sing AND Raye said they wanted to tun the ball 60 percent of the time. Does this sound like balance to you Dude?

got it dude!!!

This.
Good response, Dude.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

got it dude!!!

This.

these.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This 'run first' or 'power-running' crap are words put in Sing's mouth by the media and most everyone is buying into it.

How the hell do you figure that when last season run-run-pass-punt was what we did for the majority of our offensive series'?
Share 49ersWebzone