LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 215 users in the forums

UPDATED 5/1:: HERE'S WHY OUR DRIVES STALL... (after reviewing alex's starts)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
wow how long did that take

took me about one minute to bring up the 3rd down % stats from last year

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

that's good, but it doesnt tell us why we sucked on 3rd down...
or why we faced so many 3rd downs in the first place.
some people aren't gonna give a crap about what i posted and that's fine.
i dont give a crap if they dont. some ppl will and that's why i posted it.
Eagles game next huh?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"Untouched" was a word too often used last season very soon after the words "Drop Back".

Out of the 11 games played, in 7 of them, Smith was sacked, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, and 1 times.

I wouldn't exactly call that poor blocking.

As for the miscommunication/timing: there's a fine line between NFL inaccuracy and lack of chemistry.

However, I will give Smith the benefit of the doubt on the chemistry aspect. As far as the sacks, our OL played much better than some think.

LOL - Joe you're going to defend the blocking of this OL? Really? Seriously? And you know as well as I that "sacks" don't necessarily equal "pressure". A QB who's pressured may have to throw early, incomplete, to a "hot", or dump off to a RB, none of which were the intended, preferred targets of the play.

There's a reason why the only potential draft pick to visit the team has been a offensive lineman.

This.
Originally posted by Joecool:
"Untouched" was a word too often used last season very soon after the words "Drop Back".

Out of the 11 games played, in 7 of them, Smith was sacked, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, and 1 times.

I wouldn't exactly call that poor blocking.

As for the miscommunication/timing: there's a fine line between NFL inaccuracy and lack of chemistry.

However, I will give Smith the benefit of the doubt on the chemistry aspect. As far as the sacks, our OL played much better than some think.

the reason it's easy to conclude smith and crabtree have poor chemistry is that smith is much more frequently "slightly off target" when throwing to him. he is seldom that "off target" when throwing to anyone else. now he does have a tendancy to get the ball up too high to all receivers, which i mentioned. good thing is that should be something he can improve upon. he used to be unable to deliver the ball downfield with any "touch" and he did fix that so...
Nice breakdown of the Cards game. I think most of the zone would agree that beefing up the OL through the draft this year is priority number 1.

Since you are breaking down some of Smith's QB play from 2009, would it be possible for you to review a couple key games to see what change there is in Smith's completion % if he has 3 or more seconds to throw? The difference would reflect how much need we have in acquiring first round OL pass blocking talent. Maybe the difference is 62% w/ 3 or more seconds versus 59% with less than 3 seconds. If the difference isn't that much you have to ask yourself--will Smith's completion % be that much better with beefing up pass blocking talent rather than say getting OL talent to enhance the run game? If the difference is significant then it's a no brainer to get the best pass blocking guy.

Just a thought--I don't have any film to look at or I'd do it myself

[ Edited by wrongway9erfan on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:04:26 ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

That’s all cool in the gang and you can spend all this time breaking down each play but the bottom line is lack of execution on 3rd down if it’s a missed block wrong route overthrown underthrown pass etc.

The only thing you’re doing is trying to place the blame at one area while the game is a team effort all the way around.

I don’t need to know who ran the wrong route I just need to know they will fix it and do it right next time.

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

That’s all cool in the gang and you can spend all this time breaking down each play but the bottom line is lack of execution on 3rd down if it’s a missed block wrong route overthrown underthrown pass etc.

The only thing you’re doing is trying to place the blame at one area while the game is a team effort all the way around.

I don’t need to know who ran the wrong route I just need to know they will fix it and do it right next time.

i'm not trying to do anything in particular. you might be reading things into this that arent there. i'm just relaying what i see as objectively as possible. make whatever conclussions you want, i could care less. just dont tell me what my motives are. you dont know me. you have no idea. have a nice day buddy.

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

Why? Play-calling.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
FIX THE OLINE!

THE OLINE!

I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS, YORKIE!

Great Idea Tony !!!

Except ...

Didn't we have a good RG in Smiley that York let walk away?

Didn't we have a good RT in Pashos that York let walk away?

Tell us, Tony, how can he fix the OL (or any other area of the team) when he's got no idea what he's doing?
Originally posted by 9eridiot:
FIX THE OLINE!

THE OLINE!

Great Idea Tony !!!

Except ...

Tell us, Tony, how can he fix the OL (or any other area of the team) when he's got no idea what he's doing?

Did we have a good tackle in Staley who we signed long term? Did we have a good back tackle in Sims that we did not let walk and resigned him? Now the great question for this year is will we get quality players for our Oline?

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

i'm not trying to do anything in particular. you might be reading things into this that arent there. i'm just relaying what i see as objectively as possible. make whatever conclussions you want, i could care less. just dont tell me what my motives are. you dont know me. you have no idea. have a nice day buddy.

wa don't get all butt hurt over it only saying don't waste your time unless you're in the huddle you really don't know who messed up most of the time anyway

we know they suck now lets hope they can fix it
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

Isn't this statement by definition a contradiction? Don't you need to know WHO ran the wrong rout to FIX it the next time?

Although it's a team sport, units are responsible for roles and the OL has not played their role well weather that's coaching, scheme, talent or a combination of all three.

I don't need to know cause I am not in the huddle I don't know who is running what route

as long as THEY know and fix it I'm cool
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
FIX THE OLINE!

THE OLINE!

Great Idea Tony !!!

Except ...

Did we have a good tackle in Staley who we signed long term? Did we have a good back tackle in Sims that we did not let walk and resigned him? Now the great question for this year is will we get quality players for our Oline?

You'd seriously rather have Simms than Pachos?

Regardless, Simms would have walked too if not for the fall-out from the McCloughan debacle. They called him quick and begged him back so they could get some positive press.
FIX THE OLINE!

THE OLINE!

Great Idea Tony !!!

Except ...

Regardless, Simms would have walked too if not for the fall-out from the McCloughan debacle. They called him quick and begged him back so they could get some positive press.

Its "Sims" and "Pashos."

You gotta link for the bolded?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
FIX THE OLINE!

THE OLINE!

Great Idea Tony !!!

Except ...

Its "Sims" and "Pashos."

You gotta link for the bolded?

Did you read his screen name?
Share 49ersWebzone