LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 232 users in the forums

UPDATED 5/1:: HERE'S WHY OUR DRIVES STALL... (after reviewing alex's starts)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
u sure have alot of time on your hands lol

so do you, trolling threads...
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Sounds like you are concluding that poor line play stalled a number of drives and poor timing and connection between A. Smith and his receivers. Improvement on both of these points would help the offense?

Exactly what I been sayin all along. Nice to see it broken down tho.

What really surprised me about that game tho, what that Alex trusted the Line to start off with 3 hard counts. That could have bitten us in the ass had our guys been too tentative or even had they been too wound up. As much as I believe Harris got a bad rap, he probably would have coughed up a penalty or two in that situation.

Good job with the break down.

~Ceadder

well, remember this is JUST ONE GAME so far, but this one kind of confirmed what most of us thought already. bad OL play, alex not playing the way we want him to which is like a QB who is in complete control out there. Whether or not he can become that guy with more time in the same system... i guess we'll find that out in about 6 mos.

THE ONE THING ABOUT THE HARD COUNTS... is that theoretically that should help the OL. it makes the DL hesitate just that additional split second since they got chewed out for getting 3 penalties on the opening drive. that can get in their head just a tiny bit, and that slight delay, should give the OL an extra little advantage.

I agree that is how it is SUPPOSED to work. But this Line and supposed to seem to be worlds apart at the wrong times. Screens and Traps are supposed to do that too. That's probably why we don't run them.

~Ceadder
Sounds like you are concluding that poor line play stalled a number of drives and poor timing and connection between A. Smith and his receivers. Improvement on both of these points would help the offense?

I am not one of those who has been on here beating a drum for Alex. That being said I now have a middle of the road opinion on Alex and am willing to give him one more year before giving up on him. I agree with you. Based on the account of this game at least, Alex seems to make the proper reads most of the time. I was struck by the amount of times I read so and so comes free(pass rush) on Alex Smith. He offense seemed to do an adequate job on 3rd and short to 3rd and managable, and yes, your point about the connection between Alex and the recivers. Hopefully a full offseason as the number one QB and operating under the same system and coordinator will erase many of those circumstances. I think this account is cause optimisim concerning Alex, only time will tell.
FIX THE OLINE!

THE OLINE!

I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS, YORKIE!
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I am not one of those who has been on here beating a drum for Alex. That being said I now have a middle of the road opinion on Alex and am willing to give him one more year before giving up on him. I agree with you. Based on the account of this game at least, Alex seems to make the proper reads most of the time. I was struck by the amount of times I read so and so comes free(pass rush) on Alex Smith. He offense seemed to do an adequate job on 3rd and short to 3rd and managable, and yes, your point about the connection between Alex and the recivers. Hopefully a full offseason as the number one QB and operating under the same system and coordinator will erase many of those circumstances. I think this account is cause optimisim concerning Alex, only time will tell.

I agree with your thinking.
just to be clear I AM NOT DRAWING ANY CONCLUSSIONS YET!!!

this was just one game. i'm not trying to prove a point, and whatever opinions i form, to be honest, i dont give a crap if other members agree or not. that's not the purpose. i just want to contribute something to my fellow fans. there are a lot of members who post great observations or stats or whatever they can find, and i just wanted to do my part.

i had my own ideas on what i would find before i started this little project, but i wanted to see if i might surprise myself with anything.

...and it doesnt take as long as you might think with a dvr and laptop right in front of me. i only watch the O and most of the action i watch slightly sped up.
I'll have to post it sometime but I did the same analysis with the final game against the rams that I have on my DVR. The short of it is, we had 8+ first down runs that resulted in 2yrds or less... plus there were at an average of 1:2 3rd down passes had a blitzer coming "untouched". Peyton Manning has said that if a team can be 3rd and 5 or less they have a good shot at converting, if 3rd and 6+ the odds are stacked against you. If we had even decent line play this year; every facet of the offense would start to come alive.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
"Untouched" was a word too often used last season very soon after the words "Drop Back".

Out of the 11 games played, in 7 of them, Smith was sacked, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, and 1 times.

I wouldn't exactly call that poor blocking.

As for the miscommunication/timing: there's a fine line between NFL inaccuracy and lack of chemistry.

However, I will give Smith the benefit of the doubt on the chemistry aspect. As far as the sacks, our OL played much better than some think.
Originally posted by Joecool:
"Untouched" was a word too often used last season very soon after the words "Drop Back".

Out of the 11 games played, in 7 of them, Smith was sacked, 0, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, and 1 times.

As for the miscommunication/timing: there's a fine line between NFL inaccuracy and lack of chemistry.

However, I will give Smith the benefit of the doubt on the chemistry aspect. As far as the sacks, our OL played much better than some think.

this is EXACTLY why i wanted to start doing this... SACK STATS ONLY TELL PART OF THE STORY!!! shaun hill was sacked for more times per pass attempt behind the same line. so that must mean the line blocked better for alex right? WRONG!!! it just means alex was much better at avoiding sacks than shaun for whatever reasons... maybe the play-calling was better, maybe alex was getting the ball out faster... but to assume our OL was playing pretty well based on those sack numbers would be very inaccurate! that is why it is key to review the game.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
wow how long did that take

took me about one minute to bring up the 3rd down % stats from last year

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Thanks for doing the research. Good stuff.

We need upgrade at RT and one Guard position. Hope we address both issues this offseason.
Originally posted by Joecool:

dude alex was pressured all the time the only game where he wasnt was the jaguars game other than that he always had to move around the pocket or throw the ball away he did a good job avoiding sacks in other words POCKET PRESENCE HAS IMPROVED
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
wow how long did that take

took me about one minute to bring up the 3rd down % stats from last year

30% on 3rd down

29th

the Rams had 32%

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

so do you, trolling threads...

Dude, don't trip chocolate chip.

I recorded all of last seasons games and watch them , because I can't really watch pron when my girl is around.
Share 49ersWebzone