• HearstStiffarm
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I'm sorry, I just don't understand the fascination with Alex Smith. I can't ever recall a player that so many people have given so many chances to like they have with Smith. I mean, Steve Young was winning passing titles and MVPs, but because it took him forever to win one ring, he was crucified here.

Smith wins 16 games in 5 years and he's treated like a child prodigy. Man, I just don't get it.

yeah because he had an all-pro supporting cast all this time, and was given every chance to succeed, and didnt do it.....oh wait....

people dont understand how stupid they sound going "Smith sucks! he couldnt get it done!"

couldnt get it done? with what? how?? hes been on a garbage team that switches coaching staffs every year and went through major shoulder surgery.

lol what planet are you guys living on? no common sense...hes worked hard, kept his mouth shut, stayed out of trouble, and fought through all the obstacles in his way to get back to a point where he might be given the chance to be something finally.

the days of Montana and Young are OVER. been over. get over it. sometimes QB's ARENT hall of famers. have some patience. i swear you guys are all Raiders fans with the way you talk about this team sometimes.

Boo-hoo. He's had it tough. Like no other QB has ever had to deal with tough circumstances in the history of the NFL.

Dude, it's not about Smith "sucking" for me (don't cheapen an argument just because someone disagrees with your perspective). I don't think he sucks, I don't he's an awful QB and I don't even think he's a bust. He's a fairly decent QB when healthy, that's pretty obvious. However, I personally think he has questionable instincts and a bad habit of coming up short in many key games, and I seriously question his ability to lead this (or any) team to the playoffs. That's just my opinion.

You might be right in that, given better talent around him and consistency at OC, he could actually be very good. I'm not saying he can't. I'm saying, why take the chance on that if (and only if) someone better (like McNabb is available)?

Point being, don't lump me in to the Smith haters, because I don't hate him and I don't think he sucks. I just don't think he's even close to being a better option than McNabb would be for us, and i don't get why people would want to keep giving Smith chances year after year when there could be a better option out there.

only the first half of my post was in response to you, the rest was to everyone else.

You cant judge what Smith can and cant do based on the limited playing time hes had so far. you can say "oh, he cant lead us to the playoffs, he has bad habits, he does this wrong, etc". but the fact of the matter is, hes barely played.

2006 and 2009 are his only 2 real seasons. and 2006 would be considered his real rookie year, which wouldve been solid for a rookie starting QB. give him a chance to get into more than a couple situations before you judge what he can and cant do. once hes failed time and time again despite opportunities, then you can trash talk his abilities.

McNabb? why on earth would we want an old QB on his way out...we arent a super bowl contender right now, which makes McNabb, a short term option, useless. talk about guys that cant get it done. you think Smith fails under pressure? think he cant lead his team to win the big one? McNabb's whole career can be summed up as "almost, but not good enough".

btw, extrapolate Smith's stats over 10 games last year into 16 games, and he has almost the same numbers as McNabb did last year.

- McNabb is not old; he's 33, which is the same age Joe was when he won his 4th ring
- I don't expect McNabb to take us to the Super Bowl and win it all; that's not realistic
- What is realistic is having McNabb take us to the playoffs which he has done several times, and something we haven't see here since 2003
- Regardless of the reasons, Smith has never even led this team to a winning season, much less the playoffs
- You're right in that McNabb hasn't been able to win the big game...some great QBs can't seem to get over that hump (Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Carson Palmer more recently)...that doesn't diminish their greatness. It also doesn't diminish the fact that they have taken their teams to several playoff appearances. Regardless of how you want to minimize that, it's a huge accomplishment.
- You seem to think it's more realistic to have Smith do something he's never done before (take a team to the playoffs) rather than have McNabb do something he's done 7 times previous...I don't understand that at all.

Bottom line, I'm not saying Smith CAN'T lead us to the playoffs (I have no idea if he can or can't)...I'm saying the odds are better with McNabb as our QB, which is why I want us to trade for him. I don't see why that's so controversial, considering Smith has never accomplished this and McNabb has (and is still young enough to get the job done).

My desire to have McNabb is less about Smith and more about McNabb.

Then go be a Philly fan whiner....

[ Edited by HearstStiffarm on Feb 27, 2010 at 06:17:27 ]
Originally posted by HearstStiffarm:
Originally posted by Super5:
I'm sorry, I just don't understand the fascination with Alex Smith. I can't ever recall a player that so many people have given so many chances to like they have with Smith. I mean, Steve Young was winning passing titles and MVPs, but because it took him forever to win one ring, he was crucified here.

Smith wins 16 games in 5 years and he's treated like a child prodigy. Man, I just don't get it.

yeah because he had an all-pro supporting cast all this time, and was given every chance to succeed, and didnt do it.....oh wait....

people dont understand how stupid they sound going "Smith sucks! he couldnt get it done!"

couldnt get it done? with what? how?? hes been on a garbage team that switches coaching staffs every year and went through major shoulder surgery.

lol what planet are you guys living on? no common sense...hes worked hard, kept his mouth shut, stayed out of trouble, and fought through all the obstacles in his way to get back to a point where he might be given the chance to be something finally.

the days of Montana and Young are OVER. been over. get over it. sometimes QB's ARENT hall of famers. have some patience. i swear you guys are all Raiders fans with the way you talk about this team sometimes.

Boo-hoo. He's had it tough. Like no other QB has ever had to deal with tough circumstances in the history of the NFL.

Dude, it's not about Smith "sucking" for me (don't cheapen an argument just because someone disagrees with your perspective). I don't think he sucks, I don't he's an awful QB and I don't even think he's a bust. He's a fairly decent QB when healthy, that's pretty obvious. However, I personally think he has questionable instincts and a bad habit of coming up short in many key games, and I seriously question his ability to lead this (or any) team to the playoffs. That's just my opinion.

You might be right in that, given better talent around him and consistency at OC, he could actually be very good. I'm not saying he can't. I'm saying, why take the chance on that if (and only if) someone better (like McNabb is available)?

Point being, don't lump me in to the Smith haters, because I don't hate him and I don't think he sucks. I just don't think he's even close to being a better option than McNabb would be for us, and i don't get why people would want to keep giving Smith chances year after year when there could be a better option out there.

only the first half of my post was in response to you, the rest was to everyone else.

You cant judge what Smith can and cant do based on the limited playing time hes had so far. you can say "oh, he cant lead us to the playoffs, he has bad habits, he does this wrong, etc". but the fact of the matter is, hes barely played.

2006 and 2009 are his only 2 real seasons. and 2006 would be considered his real rookie year, which wouldve been solid for a rookie starting QB. give him a chance to get into more than a couple situations before you judge what he can and cant do. once hes failed time and time again despite opportunities, then you can trash talk his abilities.

McNabb? why on earth would we want an old QB on his way out...we arent a super bowl contender right now, which makes McNabb, a short term option, useless. talk about guys that cant get it done. you think Smith fails under pressure? think he cant lead his team to win the big one? McNabb's whole career can be summed up as "almost, but not good enough".

btw, extrapolate Smith's stats over 10 games last year into 16 games, and he has almost the same numbers as McNabb did last year.

- McNabb is not old; he's 33, which is the same age Joe was when he won his 4th ring
- I don't expect McNabb to take us to the Super Bowl and win it all; that's not realistic
- What is realistic is having McNabb take us to the playoffs which he has done several times, and something we haven't see here since 2003
- Regardless of the reasons, Smith has never even led this team to a winning season, much less the playoffs
- You're right in that McNabb hasn't been able to win the big game...some great QBs can't seem to get over that hump (Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Carson Palmer more recently)...that doesn't diminish their greatness. It also doesn't diminish the fact that they have taken their teams to several playoff appearances. Regardless of how you want to minimize that, it's a huge accomplishment.
- You seem to think it's more realistic to have Smith do something he's never done before (take a team to the playoffs) rather than have McNabb do something he's done 7 times previous...I don't understand that at all.

Bottom line, I'm not saying Smith CAN'T lead us to the playoffs (I have no idea if he can or can't)...I'm saying the odds are better with McNabb as our QB, which is why I want us to trade for him. I don't see why that's so controversial, considering Smith has never accomplished this and McNabb has (and is still young enough to get the job done).

My desire to have McNabb is less about Smith and more about McNabb.

Then go be a Philly fan whiner....

+1

slex can lead us to the playoffs he couldve done so last year if we had a returnman half as good as fraction jackson not even as a WR just a return man or if the niners had the eagles o line
Share 49ersWebzone