LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 149 users in the forums

Niners still uncertain about Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 415fan:
The funny thing is everybody is saying they are not sold on Smith, and mabye they are right, but last night he outplayed Warner and when it counted he moved the rock. I think the kid will be fine with a full off-season and training camp ith the same OC and wide-outs. Your thoughts. PEACE FROM THE FAN

I support Alex Smith 100% but I can understand those who still are on the fence....We need to see more.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
A lot of you guys may be uncertain about Smith but I don't think Sing and Scotty are. If you refer the the presser today and read between the lines the overall theme with the QB is reps with the players around him and reps in the offense. So it looks to me like the 49ers are going with Smith and in my opinion that is absolutely the right move.

It's his job to lose at this point. And although I don't think it is going to happen based upon how he is playing lately, the job could still be up in the air for next season lif he really stunk it up badly over the next three games.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
A lot of you guys may be uncertain about Smith but I don't think Sing and Scotty are. If you refer the the presser today and read between the lines the overall theme with the QB is reps with the players around him and reps in the offense. So it looks to me like the 49ers are going with Smith and in my opinion that is absolutely the right move.

It's his job to lose at this point. And although I don't think it is going to happen based upon how he is playing lately, the job could still be up in the air for next season lif he really stunk it up badly over the next three games.

I think he'll be fine....
Originally posted by Nes49:

thats like the official Alex Smith motto. First coined in 2005....5 years later, still running strong
Originally posted by ktate14:
All I want to know is how long do you need to be in the league before they stop calling you a young quarterback...am I the only one that is tired of hearing that term associated with Smith?

You have to not be young anymore. He's 25. 25 is a young QB.
Originally posted by Jigga:
I think that we're all uncertain about Smith. It's just that some of us want him to succeed, and some of us don't. I just pray that Alex isn't uncertain about his ability to lead a team. No more time to make excuses...just make plays.

Its not really about some wanting him to succeed and some not. I think the people who seem "against" him just want us to RESOLVE the situation quickly because they don't think Smith is the answer, and those who are "for" him don't want us to get rid of him or spend another high pick on a quarterback.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think that we're all uncertain about Smith. It's just that some of us want him to succeed, and some of us don't. I just pray that Alex isn't uncertain about his ability to lead a team. No more time to make excuses...just make plays.

Its not really about some wanting him to succeed and some not. I think the people who seem "against" him just want us to RESOLVE the situation quickly because they don't think Smith is the answer, and those who are "for" him don't want us to get rid of him or spend another high pick on a quarterback.

If we spend a high pick on a QB, it be the same s**t for the next 2 years unless we get a Manning type QB. I think we can win with Smith and the team we have right now going into next year.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I disagree. There are clearly people on this board that love when something bad happens that they can blame on Smith. The great play by Duckett to get an INT was one example last night. Another is the second INT were it was a communication issue between the QB and receiver that would have normally been worked out during the pre-season.

I am strating to think so myself.
Originally posted by danimal:

thats like the official Alex Smith motto. First coined in 2005....5 years later, still running strong

Well he really will be fine to be honest. Other than the TEN game...he hasnt had any real game "melt downs." He hasnt been perfect by any means but he's been pretty efficient, and made plays when needed. I thought Indy's defense was going to pick him off 2 or 3x. He did pretty well against them to be honest. Every time we think he's going to suck it up...he ends up doing ok or pretty well.

For the first time in..well..ever...I'm not worried about Alex Smith facing a tough team next week.

"He'll be fine."

• Nes49
  • Veteran

I am strating to think so myself.

Alex has continued to improve on virtually all his flaws & the fact that HE HIMSELF realizes he still needs to work to get even better....I think we finally found our QB.
PFT wrote a similar article

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith didn't have a particularly good game against the Arizona Cardinals on Monday night. But he has played fairly well since getting the 49ers' starting job back midway through this season.

The question now is whether he's played well enough to enter next season as the starter. And 49ers General Manager Scot McCloughan tells Peter King of SI.com that question hasn't been answered yet.

"He's making progress,'' McCloughan tells King. "Is he for sure the guy yet? I don't know. We've got three more games after tonight, and he needs to end the season strong. But we're encouraged. We're seeing more and more maturity, and he's growing in this system.

"He's had the benefit of working with Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner in their systems, and now with [offensive coordinator] Jimmy Raye in his system, and he's got much more talent to work with than he did when he first got here. We don't need him to be a superstar. We just need him to play within the system, which he's done recently.''

For McCloughan to say "We don't need him to be a superstar" indicates that the 49ers have accepted the fact that Smith will never be the kind of player the 49ers thought he'd be when they chose him with the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft.

But five years later, they might be willing to settle for Smith as their starter -- even as something less than a superstar.
Scot is being coy. He isnt gonna tell teams he is or isnt gonna draft a qb.

JQ
Not that I think it'll happen, but I'll lose a lot of faith in McCloughan and Singletary if there's a QB competition next season...........

-9fA
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
For McCloughan to say "We don't need him to be a superstar" indicates that the 49ers have accepted the fact that Smith will never be the kind of player the 49ers thought he'd be when they chose him with the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft.

No it doesn't.
Share 49ersWebzone