There are 170 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:
How good could joe have looked in practice leading up to the game. I feel like I didn't see him get much help, like a TE or rb chipping clowney.

Hard to say given we have 1 practice a week in pads during the season. But if he wasn't fully healthy then we definitely should have schemed a little help his way, and in game seeing how he was faring should have adjusted to scheme a little help towards both tackles.

There were definitely some coaching mistakes made.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
How good could joe have looked in practice leading up to the game. I feel like I didn't see him get much help, like a TE or rb chipping clowney.

Hard to say given we have 1 practice a week in pads during the season. But if he wasn't fully healthy then we definitely should have schemed a little help his way, and in game seeing how he was faring should have adjusted to scheme a little help towards both tackles.

There were definitely some coaching mistakes made.

Fully agree. I wished he would have protected them the same way he did Skule and Brunskill given both were coming off injuries. My guess was that Kyle just couldn't help himself. He wanted to finally open up that offense and felt he could learn on both guys to be on an island a little longer. Unfortunately, Clowney and their DL decided to play the best of their careers and now Staley is out 3-4 weeks. Freaking Football Gods.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fully agree. I wished he would have protected them the same way he did Skule and Brunskill given both were coming off injuries. My guess was that Kyle just couldn't help himself. He wanted to finally open up that offense and felt he could learn on both guys to be on an island a little longer. Unfortunately, Clowney and their DL decided to play the best of their careers and now Staley is out 3-4 weeks. Freaking Football Gods.

Better to make these mistakes now where we can learn from them and not make the same mistake again come January.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by blm7754:
This thread is f**king ridiculous. 90% of 49er fans are just really stupid. I just rewatched the game and only noticed 1 truly bad play on Staley's part. It was in the 3rd quarter with 10:45 on the clock. He bit on an inside fake by Clowney. Jimmy had to immediately step up into trouble, resulting in a sack. Bad play. The very next play, Staley stone-walled Clowney giving Jimmy almost 7 seconds in the pocket.

There were a couple other OL breakdowns that were way bigger issues than anything that can be pinned on Staley. Garland's whiff on the stunt that led to the Jimmy's first fumble. Then McGlinchy getting dominated by Clowney for the other fumble.

Overall, the OL protection was quite good. Clowney is an extremely talented pass-rusher. He was going to be disruptive. It is just unfortunate that Jimmy Garappolo couldn't protect the ball better.
Is this considered a bad play or maybe not because Coleman was there to partially block? This is the first dropback of OT. btw I love Joe and will chalk this game up to rust. He isn't prime Joe anymore but still good enough to not be playing like how he did in this MNF game.

This is a play action fake.... pretty sure Dwelly was supposed to put a hit on Clowney and then peel off. The OL's first step is supposed to sell the run in play action.
Clowney wasn't fooled though. He played the pass all the way. Obviously I don't know all the responsibilities here.... but to me this looks like a broken play. Maybe nobody on the Seattle defense was buying play-action cause we didn't run very much.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Nov 14, 2019 at 10:23 AM ]

Silver lining is it'll give him more time to get his lower body completely healed. Hopefully he's like a brand new man cons January.
Being excited this past monday night that Joe is playing, then watching Joe get worked:

[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Nov 14, 2019 at 7:00 PM ]
It makes me wonder that with all the serious injuries joe has had this year plus the performance of Skule - if Staley is considering calling it a career at seasons end.

he is up there in age and his performance has been pretty rough this year when he has played.
Originally posted by tankle104:
It makes me wonder that with all the serious injuries joe has had this year plus the performance of Skule - if Staley is considering calling it a career at seasons end.

he is up there in age and his performance has been pretty rough this year when he has played.

He just signed an extension during training camp. No he's not retiring,

The injuries have been flukey.
Joe like the vet I know, will bounce back and be better.

At least this time off with the finger should help Joe have more opportunity to get his leg strength back.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Silver lining is it'll give him more time to get his lower body completely healed. Hopefully he's like a brand new man cons January.

Fo sho. He also needs more time to get back in game shape and shake off the rust. We'll need all the horses come playoffs.

I wonder if he f**ked up his hand early in the game? Would make sense based on the poor play
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Fo sho. He also needs more time to get back in game shape and shake off the rust. We'll need all the horses come playoffs.

Absolutely!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I wonder if he f**ked up his hand early in the game? Would make sense based on the poor play

Doubts his hand effected his terrible footwork.

I think it's time to put old joe out to pasture.
Share 49erswebzone