LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by REDx85xGOLD:
Originally posted by VA49er:
It's not like the guy has been named an all pro.

True, but many people on this board make him out to be this pro bowl/all pro tackle, thus making Staley highly overrated on this board

i dont recall a single thread saying staley should be in the pro bowl
I am pretty sure that Staley will end up a RT for us.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
If we were to get Davis or Williams in the draft....Joe is moving to the right side...lets put it that way.

only way if he moves to right side is if we get okung

trent williams cant handle LT in college no way he can in nfl and anthiny davis doesnt work hard enough and is too slow to be LT this year

Doesnt mean they dont have the talent. So ur saying the way they were in college is a the way they will be their entire career in the NFL? NFL needs to get back to COACHING these kids and stop expecting them to be this phenom that gets right at. Yea they are expected to start bc of the $$$, but who's fault is it really that these kids are being way overpaid so early in their careers?

My point is they have the talent (much better than Staley), but just needs some guidance.

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:36:19 ]
If we were to get Davis or Williams in the draft....Joe is moving to the right side...lets put it that way.

trent williams cant handle LT in college no way he can in nfl and anthiny davis doesnt work hard enough and is too slow to be LT this year

Doesnt mean they dont have the talent. So ur saying the way they were in college is a the way they will be their entire career in the NFL? NFL needs to get back to COACHING these kids and stop expecting them to be this phenom that gets right at. Yea they are expected to start bc of the $$$, but who's fault is it really that these kids are being way overpaid so early in their careers?

My point is they have the talent (much better than Staley), but just needs some guidance.

no im saying if we draft one of them and the season started we wouldnt put williams or bulaga in at LT yet. We would ease them into it Bulaga i would wait 2 years then let him and staley battle it out williams might take a little longer. Its not lile staley is failing at LT he is above average and the best thing to do for our OL now and the future would be to ease them into the NFL and when they get used to the speed and strength let them battle it out
Well, when I read the question, I thought about the first play of that Viking game. Did he play to level of competition? No, he got beat at what's supposed to be his own game by one of the best.... badly.

Overrated here? Yes. Overrated voice? Totally.

I still like him but I expect him to rise to those occasions.

no im saying if we draft one of them and the season started we wouldnt put williams or bulaga in at LT yet. We would ease them into it Bulaga i would wait 2 years then let him and staley battle it out williams might take a little longer. Its not lile staley is failing at LT he is above average and the best thing to do for our OL now and the future would be to ease them into the NFL and when they get used to the speed and strength let them battle it out

Both Williams and Davis will be RT's in the NFL. Joe Staley will not be moving anywhere else but to the Pro Bowl.

True, but many people on this board make him out to be this pro bowl/all pro tackle, thus making Staley highly overrated on this board

Please provide some links to support this. Because I don't recall seeing any such comments. Certainly none made by a serious poster.
Originally posted by English:

Please provide some links to support this. Because I don't recall seeing any such comments. Certainly none made by a serious poster.

I would have to track down some links but I have seen posters talk about him as being pro bowl caliber like it's already a given.

I think he's fine at pass protection his run blocking just isn't up to par imo. I think many folks(myself included) just excepted him to be more physical and more of a mauler after the team traded away a 1st rounder to get him. He's far from the problem on this o line though. But imo i would say the majority of folks on this site overrate him. When I say overrated I mean by calling him a pro bowler instead of just a good player which I think he is.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I would have to track down some links but I have seen posters talk about him as being pro bowl caliber like it's already a given.

I think he's fine at pass protection his run blocking just isn't up to par imo. I think many folks(myself included) just excepted him to be more physical and more of a mauler after the team traded away a 1st rounder to get him. He's far from the problem on this o line though. But imo i would say the majority of folks on this site overrate him. When I say overrated I mean by calling him a pro bowler instead of just a good player which I think he is.

I agree with your assessment of him. I just don't recall seeing him talked up as a pro bowler, but never mind. With the change of coaching and if the interior line improves, things may get better of course.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

I agree with your assessment of him. I just don't recall seeing him talked up as a pro bowler, but never mind. With the change of coaching and if the interior line improves, things may get better of course.

He's been talked like a franchise LT which he certainly isn't, Sims outplayed him for crying out loud

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

He's been talked like a franchise LT which he certainly isn't, Sims outplayed him for crying out loud

no simms played well he didnt outplay him staley (in 9 games) allowed 3 sacks and only 4 qb pressure that is very solid
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

no simms played well he didnt outplay him staley (in 9 games) allowed 3 sacks and only 4 qb pressure that is very solid

I think the team offensively was almost better with Sims in there. Seemed like he did a heck of a job. Staley is an average starter right now. Hopefully he can kick it up a notch when we bring in some serious competition to take his LT spot
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
being overrated is overrated.

Staley is a fine LT. I think the more shrewd observers in the game recognise he is a solid footballer. In my experience any good team has those sort of players.

Its unfortunate that the tackle position has now taken on such mystique that we only see 'Elite' players being drafted in the first 10. I remember a time when the 49ers selected tackles which struck a balance between the individual's ability and the offensive scheme we had. We built some of the great teams on such philosophy.

I wouldn't trade Staley. He is a young tackle that was immediately put under pressure to raise a whole offensive line's production by himself. It doesn't work like that. Also whilst the apologists for any of the QB's we have played these past years are quick to point out the different OC's they have had to play under then please don't forget that the offensive line have had to adapt to this also.
Originally posted by Dominate:
I am pretty sure that Staley will end up a RT for us.

I really hope we can snag a good LT this draft and move Staley to the right side.

I think the team offensively was almost better with Sims in there. Seemed like he did a heck of a job. Staley is an average starter right now. Hopefully he can kick it up a notch when we bring in some serious competition to take his LT spot

Acually if u remember correctly staley got injured againt the colts which also happened to be the first game Alex smith started this year so I would think that the offensive production was probally due to Alex smith more than simms also the fact that Alex thrower 3 td in 1 half at staley in LT against Houston should prove that it was more of Alex plAying well then difference at the LT position
Share 49ersWebzone