There are 197 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He might be overrated by some, but I've always just considered him to be solid and thats what he is. I would much rather see him on the right side though.'

P.S. I hate funny guys on my football team , especially in positions that need a mean streak. I dont want any one on our defense or Oline smiling, ala Manny/Staley.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 5, 2010 at 14:53:52 ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
He is an above average LT but nowhere near elite or dominant

Yup. He's consistant and good and reliable, but not dominate.
IMO Staley is overrated on this MB because he is the best lineman on a below average line. That a journeyman, Sims, came in for a few games and Staley's absence wasn't noticed should be proof enough to see he isn't a great player.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Apr 5, 2010 at 22:26:21 ]
Staley is an average/above average starting LT because there are about 12-15 better LTs in the league. Hes young and will get better. If the rest of the line was average the niners would be in great shape. I think he may be a top 10 LT next year but will have to see. Plus the rest of the line is terrible and I feel you got to judge a line as a collective unit not individually.
He is an above average LT in the league. Keep in mind the scheme we asked him to play last year didn't play to his strengths. He is athletic and can move and we asked him to be a bulldozer. Hopefully a new OL coach will recognize this and maybe we will pull the LT a bit more or have him go out more to lead block on screens.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He is an above average LT in the league. Keep in mind the scheme we asked him to play last year didn't play to his strengths. He is athletic and can move and we asked him to be a bulldozer. Hopefully a new OL coach will recognize this and maybe we will pull the LT a bit more or have him go out more to lead block on screens.

This!

I like staley, I agree wit the majority he is a very good player with room to grow, I believe he will! Top 10 tackle not yet! Ryan diem! 27 pressures, damn he sounds like kwamai! With almost as many penalties lol ok that was slight off base
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
IMO Staley is overrated on this MB because he is the best lineman on a below average line. That a journeyman, Sims, came in and Staley's absence wasn't noticed should be proof enough to see he isn't a great player.

Yes exactly, there a lot of individuals on this MB that think highly of Staley. It could just be me, but he doesn't impress in anyway. He lacks blocking skills, and his passing skills isnt anything special. I still dont understand why the Niners had the feeling to sign him to a long term contract right away. Obviously the FO feel he isnt the right guy for LT if they are thinking about moving Staley back to RT if the rookie can come in dominate the blind side from day one.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If we are going to give Rachal and others the benefit of the doubt to improve with Solari as the offensive line coach, why can't the same be said for Staley?
staley isnt the problem, he is just the best lineman of a crappy group, so he will be overrated in a sense as their anchor when really he is a solid starter on a really good line, not a great one, but thats not a bad thing, better than levi brown i think, who was taken in the top 5 of the same draft
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

I agree with this. I'm sure that I also read someplace that based on some formula, he's the highest paid LT in the league right now! It seems like we might have overpaid to keep him.

Originally posted by Shaj:

I agree with this. I'm sure that I also read someplace that based on some formula, he's the highest paid LT in the league right now! It seems like we might have overpaid to keep him.

lol no his contract is frontloaded we will have the lowest paid LT in a couple of years
If we were to get Davis or Williams in the draft....Joe is moving to the right side...lets put it that way.
It's not like the guy has been named an all pro.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
If we were to get Davis or Williams in the draft....Joe is moving to the right side...lets put it that way.

only way if he moves to right side is if we get okung

trent williams cant handle LT in college no way he can in nfl and anthiny davis doesnt work hard enough and is too slow to be LT this year
Originally posted by VA49er:
It's not like the guy has been named an all pro.

True, but many people on this board make him out to be this pro bowl/all pro tackle, thus making Staley highly overrated on this board
Share 49ersWebzone