• Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I will take the word of a guy who watches countless coach's film over any report who only watches live game and looks at stats and Chris Carter.

Merril Hodge said Alex doesn't have it. This guy analyzes games more than anyone and is very credibile. Jaws seems to believe that Alex is missing a lot of things also.

However, our key issues are this:

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

And dont forget Cool, the number one factor. You completely despise AS. So.

No, I am one who understand the fact that the key reason we keep standing still in terms of wins for the last 5 years has been QB, but no one sees the fact that we are asking a WHOLE lot from 21 players on the team including all coaches to accomodate one player who has been in this league for 5 years.

Isn't that what we used to say about Shaun Hill? He's been in the league for 5 years so you get what you see?

Same thing goes for Manny Lawson.

See what i mean thats what im saying, and just think about what im saying. Here it is second half of the season. And YOUR STILL BRINGING HILL INTO CONVERSATIONS.

I mean this is a forum, and ur right to ur own opinion as am I, however, I mean u just keep knocking on this Hill thing. I mean it's worse than those that STILL TALK ABOUT bringin in Davis.

And one thing u are forgetting. There are 21 other players on the team, and your the only one focusing on one. he doesnt play D, so how is that effecting them. When they dont stop on 3 and outs, that aint Alex its the D. When a receiver doesnt get open, it's the WR. Now dont get me wrong, he is no one near perfect, however, YOUR THE ONE every week, just pointin out Alex things of negativity. You never talk about how bad the oline is, how bad the d is sometimes. Every week in and week out, YOU YOURSELF actually make it about one person. so in that sense that why i say what i do, cause u have yet to adress a team issue. Its always a personal issue with smith. Thats what im saying, and i dont know why it's there.

I only bring up the QB because teams around the league get by with these other issues but rarely does a team get by with a QB that isn't effective making mistakes. Look at DET, their OL sucked yet their QB still does good things. There are manny teams with subpar OL who still have success on offense. No one will get until we have a probowl offense and still can't mister up a consistent passing game. We had a dominating OL in 2006 but our coaches couldn't figure out how to hide Kwame by giving him help which is why strategy plays a big factor also. Fact is, be it Hill or Smith, our passing game has rarely helped us control a game.

What kool-aid are you drinking? Our offensive line was terrible in '06. We were the three-and-out kings. Yes Frank Gore broke off quite a few big runs. (Take away the time Gore missed this year with injuries and he'd be pretty close to '06, but a few big runs doesn't a consistent run game make!) But there were lots of stuffed up running plays just like this year and the pass blocking was horrible!

I agree with your basic point, just not your rose-colored glasses about the past.

Ummm.......hello ? We had a lot of 3-and-outs in 2006 because of ALEX SMITH, not because of our line ! You just answered your own question. No production on offense in 06 with a good oline. No production in offense in 09 with a poor oline. Both teams have a decent Frank Gore. Common denominator in all this: ALEX SMITH.

Way to be. You just used basic algebra to solve an equation.

We were 16th in sacks in '06, but we were 30th in pass attempts in '06. So I hardly think that's a big endorsement for the line.

I'm not arguing with you about Alex Smith. I don't think he's the answer either. But people look back to '06 when we were mediocre at best (if you think 7-9 and 26th on offense is more than that you're delusional), and the offense was frankly offensive. Yes, Gore had a gaudy yards-per-carry average and the running attack was ranked 6th. But there were so many times we went three and out with two runs into the middle of the line, and then a pass on 3rd and long (often made longer by holding or a Kwame false start), that I really can't buy the theory that the o-line was good. Maybe a little better than this year's version, but that's not saying very much.

The Niners, after all, were only too glad to get rid of Larry Allen, John Smiley (who's no longer starting in Miami, btw), and Kwame. And I think they were probably ready to be rid of Jonas even back then! If the line was that good, we probably would have been trying to keep the components together.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
I would blow this whole team up, Fire every coach, dump Smith n Hill, rebuild the OL keep Staley get rid of every overweight slob who blocks for s**t. Lose the digit system, big n slow OL guys & go back to what made us winners in the WCO n Mckittrick type players on teh OL with a ZBS. Lighter faster guys who can move not these fat monsters who stand no chance in protecting the QB or opening up any lanes for teh ground game. Id get rid of any defensive coach who still wants to stick with the 3-4 mistake. Id go back again to what made us winners with top Ds year after year the 4-3. Id fire Scotty McClueless with extreme prejudice as imho hes hit Donahue status. This team in its current state needs drastic change if we ever wanna be something more than a 7-9 5-11 team. We are not close to being a playoff team. Not even close. We just dont have the coaching or players to even be so and its pretty damn obvious we dont. Its time to blow s**t up n start over from the GM down. Next years draft is imho to have Scotty waste and for Sing n Co to under coach. Jed needs to call his uncle and have him run this team until Jed knows wtf hes doing.

I am glad you are not in charge... We are closer than you think, blowing the whole team up would set us back 3 years at least.

I love this comment on the zone. You are glad he is NOT in charge. I guess that means as opposed to who IS in charge huh? How many years is the drought now?

The drought has gone on for far too long. But blowing the whole team up is not what is needed here. We have serveral very good players already in place. We need a few more in order to compete. We also need sone coaching changes, starting with OC and OL..

But we don't need to blow the whole team up.
I will take the word of a guy who watches countless coach's film over any report who only watches live game and looks at stats and Chris Carter.

Merril Hodge said Alex doesn't have it. This guy analyzes games more than anyone and is very credibile. Jaws seems to believe that Alex is missing a lot of things also.

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

No, I am one who understand the fact that the key reason we keep standing still in terms of wins for the last 5 years has been QB, but no one sees the fact that we are asking a WHOLE lot from 21 players on the team including all coaches to accomodate one player who has been in this league for 5 years.

Isn't that what we used to say about Shaun Hill? He's been in the league for 5 years so you get what you see?

See what i mean thats what im saying, and just think about what im saying. Here it is second half of the season. And YOUR STILL BRINGING HILL INTO CONVERSATIONS.

I mean this is a forum, and ur right to ur own opinion as am I, however, I mean u just keep knocking on this Hill thing. I mean it's worse than those that STILL TALK ABOUT bringin in Davis.

And one thing u are forgetting. There are 21 other players on the team, and your the only one focusing on one. he doesnt play D, so how is that effecting them. When they dont stop on 3 and outs, that aint Alex its the D. When a receiver doesnt get open, it's the WR. Now dont get me wrong, he is no one near perfect, however, YOUR THE ONE every week, just pointin out Alex things of negativity. You never talk about how bad the oline is, how bad the d is sometimes. Every week in and week out, YOU YOURSELF actually make it about one person. so in that sense that why i say what i do, cause u have yet to adress a team issue. Its always a personal issue with smith. Thats what im saying, and i dont know why it's there.

I only bring up the QB because teams around the league get by with these other issues but rarely does a team get by with a QB that isn't effective making mistakes. Look at DET, their OL sucked yet their QB still does good things. There are manny teams with subpar OL who still have success on offense. No one will get until we have a probowl offense and still can't mister up a consistent passing game. We had a dominating OL in 2006 but our coaches couldn't figure out how to hide Kwame by giving him help which is why strategy plays a big factor also. Fact is, be it Hill or Smith, our passing game has rarely helped us control a game.

What kool-aid are you drinking? Our offensive line was terrible in '06. We were the three-and-out kings. Yes Frank Gore broke off quite a few big runs. (Take away the time Gore missed this year with injuries and he'd be pretty close to '06, but a few big runs doesn't a consistent run game make!) But there were lots of stuffed up running plays just like this year and the pass blocking was horrible!

I agree with your basic point, just not your rose-colored glasses about the past.

Ummm.......hello ? We had a lot of 3-and-outs in 2006 because of ALEX SMITH, not because of our line ! You just answered your own question. No production on offense in 06 with a good oline. No production in offense in 09 with a poor oline. Both teams have a decent Frank Gore. Common denominator in all this: ALEX SMITH.

The common denominator is a poor OLine.

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

we had a good line in 06?
Why was I not told!!!
I'll give you the fact that they where. Above average run blocking line. But way below average pass blocking team!
Any team that starts kwami Harris is not good
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Matt Ryan has it? Joe Flacco has it? NO they really don't Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, they have it. Quit with the bulls**t Smith is playing just as good as Ryan and Flacco do you even watch football? When your offensive line gives you an average of 2-3 seconds to throw, your defense gives up 5 6+minute 60+ yard drives in the first half alone? Then you go out against all odds and throw 3 touchdowns against a top defense who knows your passing to get in the game and is blitzing you non stop and you still put up 21 points in the half yes your pretty impressive. The defense had the chance to play a part and regain their stature for getting ripped APART all game when the Packers got the ball back with 6 minutes left and we could NOT get them off the field if our lives depended on it. That game was not on Smith, it was BECAUSE OF SMITH that we were in the game go learn something about football IT drives me insane how STUPID some people are.

Yeah, good one. Smith is playing as well as Flacco and Ryan ? Get real, bro. Smith is not at their level, and the sooner you people realize this (including the coaching staff), the sooner we get to being a contender again. I find it laughable that you guys can actually pin Smith in as a viable QB; as if he could imitate the same game that Ryan had against us if he was given the same situation. Yeah right.

I bet you're one of the proud that gives him a "B" grade, right ? Not close enough to be an "A" (Brady, Manning, Favre), but close enough.

M. Ryan Comp pct: 59.3 YDS: 2,276 TD:16 INT:12 Sck:14 Rating:80.0

J Flacco Comp pct: 64.4 YDS: 2,455 TD:12 INT:8 Sck:18 Rating:89.1

A Smith Comp pct: 61.3 YDS: 1,035 TD:9 INT:7 Sck:13 Rating:81.5

Got these stats off of NFL.com.

Alex Smith is playing better than Ryan but not Flacco overall. Smith obviously has played less games than both Flacco and Ryan. He hasn't played much better than Ryan but to say Smith is not on his level is just flat out incorrect. The stat's say they are.
[ Edited by drake49er on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:36 PM ]

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

Lol another great post from joe . Joe, Det has only won 2 games ..........
My apologies to any actual 49er fans who like to talk football rather then bash our top performers who keep us in games. If you'd like to discuss why our defense can't get off the field, why they gave up over 5 yards a carry to Grant, why they gave up 4 drives of 60+ yards in the first half alone and realize that any of the above have nothing to do with our quarterback. I'd be happy to discuss the actual points to why we lost the game with you. Love my niners cheers

Hit it right on the head there.

Oh ya... Almost forgot... Experts? LOL!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
experts
Originally posted by drake49er:
Matt Ryan has it? Joe Flacco has it? NO they really don't Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, they have it. Quit with the bulls**t Smith is playing just as good as Ryan and Flacco do you even watch football? When your offensive line gives you an average of 2-3 seconds to throw, your defense gives up 5 6+minute 60+ yard drives in the first half alone? Then you go out against all odds and throw 3 touchdowns against a top defense who knows your passing to get in the game and is blitzing you non stop and you still put up 21 points in the half yes your pretty impressive. The defense had the chance to play a part and regain their stature for getting ripped APART all game when the Packers got the ball back with 6 minutes left and we could NOT get them off the field if our lives depended on it. That game was not on Smith, it was BECAUSE OF SMITH that we were in the game go learn something about football IT drives me insane how STUPID some people are.

Yeah, good one. Smith is playing as well as Flacco and Ryan ? Get real, bro. Smith is not at their level, and the sooner you people realize this (including the coaching staff), the sooner we get to being a contender again. I find it laughable that you guys can actually pin Smith in as a viable QB; as if he could imitate the same game that Ryan had against us if he was given the same situation. Yeah right.

I bet you're one of the proud that gives him a "B" grade, right ? Not close enough to be an "A" (Brady, Manning, Favre), but close enough.

Alex Smith is playing better than Ryan but not Flacco overall. Smith obviously has played less games than both Flacco and Ryan. He hasn't played much better than Ryan but to say Smith is not on his level is just flat out incorrect. The stat's say they are.

Smith haters will ignore this posts just like he does to ALL posts that proves he has no clue what they are talking about
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I would blow this whole team up, Fire every coach, dump Smith n Hill, rebuild the OL keep Staley get rid of every overweight slob who blocks for s**t. Lose the digit system, big n slow OL guys & go back to what made us winners in the WCO n Mckittrick type players on teh OL with a ZBS. Lighter faster guys who can move not these fat monsters who stand no chance in protecting the QB or opening up any lanes for teh ground game. Id get rid of any defensive coach who still wants to stick with the 3-4 mistake. Id go back again to what made us winners with top Ds year after year the 4-3. Id fire Scotty McClueless with extreme prejudice as imho hes hit Donahue status. This team in its current state needs drastic change if we ever wanna be something more than a 7-9 5-11 team. We are not close to being a playoff team. Not even close. We just dont have the coaching or players to even be so and its pretty damn obvious we dont. Its time to blow s**t up n start over from the GM down. Next years draft is imho to have Scotty waste and for Sing n Co to under coach. Jed needs to call his uncle and have him run this team until Jed knows wtf hes doing.

Before you do all that, you should hit enter a couple of times.

LOL I know & I even got me a paper bag too Its just that the magnitude of suck that we are in as a team just pisses me off. I cant help but rant when I see the same gameplan each week. No pass rush, bad OL, crap QB play, shaky D and horrid game plans n adjustments. All are signs of bad coaching and horrible drafting mismanagement. Seeing this same s**t year after year just blows and pisses me off.

if we're able to get a solid o-line vet in the offseason and an impact rookie in the 1st round, we'll make the playoffs. even with alex smith under center, not just in the spread
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I am glad you are not in charge... We are closer than you think, blowing the whole team up would set us back 3 years at least.

Closer to what? 7-9 again if things go right? Maybe 8-8 or if we are real lucky 9-7? This team isnt close to doing anything except being better than the Raiders. We have too many glaring holes in almost every phase as a team in offensively and defensively. Plus having bad to mediocre coaching & game plans isnt putting us any closer to a 6th ring any time soon, much less the playoffs or even a .500 season.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
The same experts said we would win the west and dominate after week 3, its all a damn guessing game and most of these "experts" know about as much as noob #4.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by drake49er:

Smith haters will ignore this posts just like he does to ALL posts that proves he has no clue what they are talking about

Ryan and Flaccos numbers are much better and impressive on the fact that they actually play well for 4 qtrs of football. Smith hasnt had 1 full game of good football since 06. Smith gets inflated stats when teams start sitting on huge leads and basically all his numbers are garbage time numbers. The other 2 actually have shown to have game after game 4 qtrs of solid QB play while Smith just hasnt. Sucks but its just true. The kid is a bust who might have been something better but was ruined by the 49ers.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
if we're able to get a solid o-line vet in the offseason and an impact rookie in the 1st round, we'll make the playoffs. even with alex smith under center, not just in the spread

Yup. We don't even need veterans. We can get a solid RT and LG through the draft, and a shut down safety.

Then we need to get Haralson and Lawson working on their pass rush and we're set.
Share 49ersWebzone