LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 386 users in the forums

What the experts are saying............

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The opinions of the experts/media are vastly different from that of 49ers fans. What are they NOT seeing that we are?

Quote:
San Francisco (4-6)

The reality is that the Niners — despite their comeback in Green Bay — aren’t a playoff team yet. They’ve had too many games where their defense has vanished, and QB Alex Smith isn’t ready to make a playoff run. I’ll agree that this team is close, but that doesn’t matter in ’09. – Matt Bowen, National Football Post

Quote:
Consider instead the larger picture, which Singletary himself hinted at a couple of times early in his news conference - that the offensive line in its present state is not yet trustworthy enough to keep Smith upright in any offense.

And the even larger picture, that the 49ers' 22nd-ranked defense isn't much better than its 27th-ranked offense. Evidently, if the 49ers can throw the ball, it doesn't much matter that the other teams can throw at them with even greater ease. So that's just how it's going to be. The offense isn't suited to the personnel, or it isn't suited to Singletary's biorhythms, or both - which, intriguingly enough, is exactly what was said back in August when the 49ers were going to be a running team.

It seems clear, as opposed to superficially noticeable, that the 49ers still lack sufficient personnel to run any offense well enough if their defense isn't going to be half as good as it needs to be. – Ray Ratto, San Francisco Chronicle

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/24/SP5A1APANK.DTL#ixzz0Xt9XbCTT

Quote:
The Niners have talent, but they are still a year away when it comes to the playoffs. – National Football Post

Quote:
"Vernon Davis is a Pro Bowl-caliber tight end right now. (Michael) Crabtree is legitimate. Frank Gore is legit. (The 49ers) have three guys there who can make plays, but the offensive line is in disarray. Losing (OLT Joe) Staley really hurts them. (OLG Chilo) Rachal and (OLG David) Baas are bad. And the quarterback (Alex Smith) had one good half when he came off the bench, but he has come back to where he was when they benched him." – Pro Football Weekly

Maybe, just maybe, you guys are overreacting. You guys are frustrated and angry with losing, understandably so. Hell, I am. But Singletary needs time. Mike Nolan was given 4 years for god’s sake. What you guys are failing to see is that cleaning house so soon has an impact on the next hire.

I think the problems are talent related.

Quarterback & Offensive Line

You guys are upset with Mike Singletary’s straight-forward idea of offense, because it’s a stark difference from what we are accustomed to seeing. In order to be able to run the ball and impose your will on the defense, you have to have an offensive line that can win their individual one-on-one matchups and the 49ers don’t have that. What Mike Singletary is seeing is that the 49ers can’t run OR pass because of an ineffective line.

I think the main issue, feel free to disagree, is that the 49ers do not having a reliable starting QB on the roster at this point in time. If they did, at worst the 49ers would be 6-4 even with the other problems. Show me an effective offense that has a below average offensive line and a questionable at best quarterback situation? In the end it comes back to talent.

People are b***hing about Jimmy Raye’s offense, and I wouldn’t shed a tear if he was replaced, but examine his philosophy. He uses the digit system, coming from the Norv Turner tree, which relies on a physical running attack supplemented by a vertical passing game. That was the offense Alex Smith was the most successful in (2006). Well, in order to execute the deep passing game, you need a QB that can make defenses pay for loading up at the line of scrimmage and you need to be able to run the ball. In the end it comes back to talent.

People are pushing for a more spread out attack because of what we saw in 2 halves (Houston, Green Bay), and a drive (Indianapolis). We saw what happens when you get too pass heavy (Tennessee). It’s clear in his actions and his words that Singletary feels he doesn’t have a QB he can trust right now.

If it turns out that the 49ers do need a QB, people will argue against it because of the supporting cast. If the guy can play, he will elevate those around him. There are many examples of QBs that came to bad teams early and had early success (Brees, Ryan, Palmer, E. Manning (heck his brother), McNabb, Rivers, Rodgers, Stafford to some degree). Some of these guys had the benefit of sitting behind an established player before taking over. The question isn’t whether or not putting the cart before the horse, it’s whether or not there’s a franchise guy out there somewhere.

Defense

We know why we struggle on defense. No pass rush or speed in the secondary. To beat good teams (especially on the road); you have to dominate the line of scrimmage. Other than Staley, most of Scot’s picks here have failed so far. He drafted Lawson and Haralson to be the OLBs in the 3-4, but Lawson hasn’t panned out a pass rusher and Haralson is more of a role player than a starter.

I don’t think Scot McCloughan should be replaced, but I do think he needs help. If I was Jed, I’d strongly consider adding a guy like Mike Holmgren in sort of an advisory role before Cleveland or Seattle gets to him first. He knows offense and has head coaching experience, which can only help Mike Singletary. He has worked with McCloughan in the past so he knows how he thinks and can offer another opinion if anything to balance things out. If not Holmgren, there are qualified and experienced personnel people out there that can help run the front office, while McCloughan handles personnel.
I have heard Jimmy Johnson(Fox Sports on KNBR) be a supporter of the spread, and he stated that obviously Smith is a completely different qb in that style of offense. Chris Carter(ESPN) stated he believes Smith is turning the corner and has looked like he can be effective. I have heard others from "Around the Horn" and "Total Access" state that the 9ers need to play to Smith's strengths. I try to listen to others from around the country to get an outside perspective because here locally(SF and Sacramento) the journalists or columnists are biased, whether they are supporters of Smith or bashers of Smith, quite like this board actually. Haha. But the fact is were going to have to wait this season out and see if he can win some ball games and, again be consistent from start to finish.
Those quotes are not vastly different from what fans are saying. I think those fans that don't recognize these very obvious things are the vocal minority that keep up the same mantra no matter what is actually happening in the real world.
I would blow this whole team up, Fire every coach, dump Smith n Hill, rebuild the OL keep Staley get rid of every overweight slob who blocks for s**t. Lose the digit system, big n slow OL guys & go back to what made us winners in the WCO n Mckittrick type players on teh OL with a ZBS. Lighter faster guys who can move not these fat monsters who stand no chance in protecting the QB or opening up any lanes for teh ground game. Id get rid of any defensive coach who still wants to stick with the 3-4 mistake. Id go back again to what made us winners with top Ds year after year the 4-3. Id fire Scotty McClueless with extreme prejudice as imho hes hit Donahue status. This team in its current state needs drastic change if we ever wanna be something more than a 7-9 5-11 team. We are not close to being a playoff team. Not even close. We just dont have the coaching or players to even be so and its pretty damn obvious we dont. Its time to blow s**t up n start over from the GM down. Next years draft is imho to have Scotty waste and for Sing n Co to under coach. Jed needs to call his uncle and have him run this team until Jed knows wtf hes doing.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Those quotes are not vastly different from what fans are saying. I think those fans that don't recognize these very obvious things are the vocal minority that keep up the same mantra no matter what is actually happening in the real world.

I know right...Say it with me dj "SPREADCOAST"
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
I would blow this whole team up, Fire every coach, dump Smith n Hill, rebuild the OL keep Staley get rid of every overweight slob who blocks for s**t. Lose the digit system, big n slow OL guys & go back to what made us winners in the WCO n Mckittrick type players on teh OL with a ZBS. Lighter faster guys who can move not these fat monsters who stand no chance in protecting the QB or opening up any lanes for teh ground game. Id get rid of any defensive coach who still wants to stick with the 3-4 mistake. Id go back again to what made us winners with top Ds year after year the 4-3. Id fire Scotty McClueless with extreme prejudice as imho hes hit Donahue status. This team in its current state needs drastic change if we ever wanna be something more than a 7-9 5-11 team. We are not close to being a playoff team. Not even close. We just dont have the coaching or players to even be so and its pretty damn obvious we dont. Its time to blow s**t up n start over from the GM down. Next years draft is imho to have Scotty waste and for Sing n Co to under coach. Jed needs to call his uncle and have him run this team until Jed knows wtf hes doing.

Before you do all that, you should hit enter a couple of times.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

He needs to breath, as well. Into a paper bag.
I will take the word of a guy who watches countless coach's film over any report who only watches live game and looks at stats and Chris Carter.

Merril Hodge said Alex doesn't have it. This guy analyzes games more than anyone and is very credibile. Jaws seems to believe that Alex is missing a lot of things also.

However, our key issues are this:

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Only a guy named RatMan could say something this funny. Bravo!
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Joecool:
I will take the word of a guy who watches countless coach's film over any report who only watches live game and looks at stats and Chris Carter.

Merril Hodge said Alex doesn't have it. This guy analyzes games more than anyone and is very credibile. Jaws seems to believe that Alex is missing a lot of things also.

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

Yep. And it doesnt stop there. Steve Young has hinted plenty-o-times of Alex's deficiencies. Rice came out and called him a bust, only to retract his comments.

When it comes to quarterbacking, it's not that complicated. You either have it or you dont. Flacco and Ryan have it, and now they're succeeding in their offenses. Rodgers has it, and he's playing up to par with a horrible oline. But when you're a quarterback that needs everything to be picture perfect in order to properly execute a play.......you dont have it !

I dont see why thats so hard to see....

• Nes49
  • Veteran

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

Merril....? Guy's name is Merril......Serious though...U believe these guys don't watch video to? On 2 & 3 U & I R 100% in agreement on those. But Alex is starting to look like a piece of the puzzle. He needs to continue working & he'll grow...hell he made great trides in his "DO OVER"
experts
Originally posted by Nes49:

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

Merril....? Guy's name is Merril......Serious though...U believe these guys don't watch video to? On 2 & 3 U & I R 100% in agreement on those. But Alex is starting to look like a piece of the puzzle. He needs to continue working & he'll grow...hell he made great trides in his "DO OVER"

Who, Ray Ratto? Matt M. is one of the most thorough beat writers in terms of reviewing film and he doesn't even have coach's film. So, no, most of these gusy don't review the film that Hodge and Jaws review.

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

And dont forget Cool, the number one factor. You completely despise AS. So.

I am glad you are not in charge... We are closer than you think, blowing the whole team up would set us back 3 years at least.
Share 49ersWebzone