LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 414 users in the forums

What the experts are saying............

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
It is interesting that none of the "experts" noticed that Vernon Davis only knows how to run vertical routes after four years. On the one pick, instead or coming under the DB, he tried to go behind him - wrong move. Walker, instead of mirroring the slant move of Davis but 8 yards deeper, he keeps going upfield and it the an easy pick. If both run their routes correctly Walker makes the reception.

Josh Morgan isn't running clean routes, and Crabtree doesn't seem to know very many either. Everyone notices the QB but no one notices that the young WRs are not even close yet.

Compare GB with Jennings and Driver running very good routes and you seen another reason why the team is a year away from .500.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Matt Ryan has it? Joe Flacco has it? NO they really don't Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, they have it. Quit with the bulls**t Smith is playing just as good as Ryan and Flacco do you even watch football? When your offensive line gives you an average of 2-3 seconds to throw, your defense gives up 5 6+minute 60+ yard drives in the first half alone? Then you go out against all odds and throw 3 touchdowns against a top defense who knows your passing to get in the game and is blitzing you non stop and you still put up 21 points in the half yes your pretty impressive. The defense had the chance to play a part and regain their stature for getting ripped APART all game when the Packers got the ball back with 6 minutes left and we could NOT get them off the field if our lives depended on it. That game was not on Smith, it was BECAUSE OF SMITH that we were in the game go learn something about football IT drives me insane how STUPID some people are.

Yeah, good one. Smith is playing as well as Flacco and Ryan ? Get real, bro. Smith is not at their level, and the sooner you people realize this (including the coaching staff), the sooner we get to being a contender again. I find it laughable that you guys can actually pin Smith in as a viable QB; as if he could imitate the same game that Ryan had against us if he was given the same situation. Yeah right.

I bet you're one of the proud that gives him a "B" grade, right ? Not close enough to be an "A" (Brady, Manning, Favre), but close enough.

M. Ryan Comp pct: 59.3 YDS: 2,276 TD:16 INT:12 Sck:14 Rating:80.0

J Flacco Comp pct: 64.4 YDS: 2,455 TD:12 INT:8 Sck:18 Rating:89.1

A Smith Comp pct: 61.3 YDS: 1,035 TD:9 INT:7 Sck:13 Rating:81.5

Got these stats off of NFL.com.

Alex Smith is playing better than Ryan but not Flacco overall. Smith obviously has played less games than both Flacco and Ryan. He hasn't played much better than Ryan but to say Smith is not on his level is just flat out incorrect. The stat's say they are.

Smith haters will ignore this posts just like he does to ALL posts that proves he has no clue what they are talking about

Ryan and Flaccos numbers are much better and impressive on the fact that they actually play well for 4 qtrs of football. Smith hasnt had 1 full game of good football since 06. Smith gets inflated stats when teams start sitting on huge leads and basically all his numbers are garbage time numbers. The other 2 actually have shown to have game after game 4 qtrs of solid QB play while Smith just hasnt. Sucks but its just true. The kid is a bust who might have been something better but was ruined by the 49ers.

It's not Smith's fault that his OLine sucks. It's not Smith's fault that Singletary and Raye refuse to allow smith to throw from the gun unless they are down by 21 points. The fact that Smith has brought the team back from 20+ points deficites TWICE!!!!! to give the team a chance to win doesn't mean that his stats during that time is garbage time. During the GB the announcers even pointed out that the defense did not soften up and what Smith and the offense were doing to the GB defense was all Smith not the fact that the defense softened up. So once again you Smith haters fail again. This is becoming a trend.
Smith haters=full of fail
I think it's pretty obvious that our offense is in a state of complete confusion. The talent on the field screams shotgun spread offense. The "minds" on the sidelines are screaming "power running" offense. Several players have already alluded to the fact that the offense plays much better out of the shotgun and sooner or later Sing is going to have to acknowledge it.

My main worry is that Sing will attempt to re-tool the offense this offseason by trying to add players that thrive in a power running offense. What he SHOULD do is add players that can help this offense be a quick strike, spread out, attacking offense. Smaller lineman that can pull, get out one the edge, and pass block effectively is what he should be looking for. Instead, he'll more than likely find some big lumbering maulers that play like Baas and Rachal.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

It's not Smith's fault that his OLine sucks. It's not Smith's fault that Singletary and Raye refuse to allow smith to throw from the gun unless they are down by 21 points. The fact that Smith has brought the team back from 20+ points deficites TWICE!!!!! to give the team a chance to win doesn't mean that his stats during that time is garbage time. During the GB the announcers even pointed out that the defense did not soften up and what Smith and the offense were doing to the GB defense was all Smith not the fact that the defense softened up. So once again you Smith haters fail again. This is becoming a trend.

16 blitzes by my count during the second half against GB. Houston was playing straight up defense (except for that last drive).

Singletary needs to tell Raye to unleash the offense. Stop trying to play smashmouth and air it out. I'd love for us to go into Jacksonville and run no huddle for the first quarter just to see how many points we can put up against them. If we get up by 2 or 3 TDs then go back to conservative play calling.

Raye and Sing call it exactly the opposite. Play conservative the first half, get way behind, then have to air it out to try to catch up.
Originally posted by smileyman:

16 blitzes by my count during the second half against GB. Houston was playing straight up defense (except for that last drive).

Singletary needs to tell Raye to unleash the offense. Stop trying to play smashmouth and air it out. I'd love for us to go into Jacksonville and run no huddle for the first quarter just to see how many points we can put up against them. If we get up by 2 or 3 TDs then go back to conservative play calling.

Raye and Sing call it exactly the opposite. Play conservative the first half, get way behind, then have to air it out to try to catch up.

screw going back to conservative play calling. Run up the score and make a statement.
i think the niner fans definitely agree with the experts
  • 4gabe9
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Thrash88:
My apologies to any actual 49er fans who like to talk football rather then bash our top performers who keep us in games. If you'd like to discuss why our defense can't get off the field, why they gave up over 5 yards a carry to Grant, why they gave up 4 drives of 60+ yards in the first half alone and realize that any of the above have nothing to do with our quarterback. I'd be happy to discuss the actual points to why we lost the game with you. Love my niners cheers

I agree 100% with you man!
We have scored more points with Smith than with Hill
& 20 points or more should be enough to win a game
no matter what quarter it is the Defence needs to step up!
Fl9er---i must be the dumbest 49er fan of all time, because i have watched, painfully, every snap alex has taken, and STILL have no idea if he is a good qb or not. A professional nfl team, unlike the 9ers , builds lines first, and OL first of all. Until that is done you, nor anyone else has any idea if alex is a good, serviceable, great, all pro, or a bust, horrid awful, skanky Qb. There is no way on earth anyone, esp. ESPN wags can have any idea what alex has. Give the kid a line, AND AN OC who isn't lousy, and then let's see what alex is..or isn't. Until then, everything i read about alex is just hot air, because neither peyton nor brady could possibly look good on a team that can't passblock, let alone runblock.

I'm not an alex fan nor detractor. But i sure as hell would like to be one or the other. Our woeful mgmt and ownership has managed to take a kid as #1 pick in draft 5 yrs ago, and STILL doesn't know if he is any good or not? That is incompetence and stupidity at its worst. Get him a line, a real HC, a real OC, and then praise him or trade him. Right now, we know squat about alex, other than he can't play qb behind the worst OL in the league.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I will take the word of a guy who watches countless coach's film over any report who only watches live game and looks at stats and Chris Carter.

Merril Hodge said Alex doesn't have it. This guy analyzes games more than anyone and is very credibile. Jaws seems to believe that Alex is missing a lot of things also.

However, our key issues are this:

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

And dont forget Cool, the number one factor. You completely despise AS. So.

No, I am one who understand the fact that the key reason we keep standing still in terms of wins for the last 5 years has been QB, but no one sees the fact that we are asking a WHOLE lot from 21 players on the team including all coaches to accomodate one player who has been in this league for 5 years.

Isn't that what we used to say about Shaun Hill? He's been in the league for 5 years so you get what you see?

Same thing goes for Manny Lawson.

See what i mean thats what im saying, and just think about what im saying. Here it is second half of the season. And YOUR STILL BRINGING HILL INTO CONVERSATIONS.

I mean this is a forum, and ur right to ur own opinion as am I, however, I mean u just keep knocking on this Hill thing. I mean it's worse than those that STILL TALK ABOUT bringin in Davis.

And one thing u are forgetting. There are 21 other players on the team, and your the only one focusing on one. he doesnt play D, so how is that effecting them. When they dont stop on 3 and outs, that aint Alex its the D. When a receiver doesnt get open, it's the WR. Now dont get me wrong, he is no one near perfect, however, YOUR THE ONE every week, just pointin out Alex things of negativity. You never talk about how bad the oline is, how bad the d is sometimes. Every week in and week out, YOU YOURSELF actually make it about one person. so in that sense that why i say what i do, cause u have yet to adress a team issue. Its always a personal issue with smith. Thats what im saying, and i dont know why it's there.

I only bring up the QB because teams around the league get by with these other issues but rarely does a team get by with a QB that isn't effective making mistakes. Look at DET, their OL sucked yet their QB still does good things. There are manny teams with subpar OL who still have success on offense. No one will get until we have a probowl offense and still can't mister up a consistent passing game. We had a dominating OL in 2006 but our coaches couldn't figure out how to hide Kwame by giving him help which is why strategy plays a big factor also. Fact is, be it Hill or Smith, our passing game has rarely helped us control a game.

What kool-aid are you drinking? Our offensive line was terrible in '06. We were the three-and-out kings. Yes Frank Gore broke off quite a few big runs. (Take away the time Gore missed this year with injuries and he'd be pretty close to '06, but a few big runs doesn't a consistent run game make!) But there were lots of stuffed up running plays just like this year and the pass blocking was horrible!

I agree with your basic point, just not your rose-colored glasses about the past.

Ummm.......hello ? We had a lot of 3-and-outs in 2006 because of ALEX SMITH, not because of our line ! You just answered your own question. No production on offense in 06 with a good oline. No production in offense in 09 with a poor oline. Both teams have a decent Frank Gore. Common denominator in all this: ALEX SMITH.

Way to be. You just used basic algebra to solve an equation.

Troll. Go away, please.

But but but that wuz all garbehje tyme dood!

in comparing Alex Smith with Flacco and Ryan...

i believe if we can get the rock to Gore as many times as Ray Rice and Michael Turner gets it per game....

Gore with 20+ touches....we should b a good hands!
[ Edited by quatic on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM ]
I will take the word of a guy who watches countless coach's film over any report who only watches live game and looks at stats and Chris Carter.

Merril Hodge said Alex doesn't have it. This guy analyzes games more than anyone and is very credibile. Jaws seems to believe that Alex is missing a lot of things also.

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

LOL. People still bringing up Jaws. From 2007 nonetheless.

-9fA
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

But but but that wuz all garbehje tyme dood!

My new response for when people say that.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

1. QB
2. OL (mainly injuries)
3. Edge Rusher

LOL. People still bringing up Jaws. From 2007 nonetheless.

-9fA

yeah the locked front leg....
  • dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Fl9er---i must be the dumbest 49er fan of all time, because i have watched, painfully, every snap alex has taken, and STILL have no idea if he is a good qb or not. A professional nfl team, unlike the 9ers , builds lines first, and OL first of all. Until that is done you, nor anyone else has any idea if alex is a good, serviceable, great, all pro, or a bust, horrid awful, skanky Qb. There is no way on earth anyone, esp. ESPN wags can have any idea what alex has. Give the kid a line, AND AN OC who isn't lousy, and then let's see what alex is..or isn't. Until then, everything i read about alex is just hot air, because neither peyton nor brady could possibly look good on a team that can't passblock, let alone runblock.

I'm not an alex fan nor detractor. But i sure as hell would like to be one or the other. Our woeful mgmt and ownership has managed to take a kid as #1 pick in draft 5 yrs ago, and STILL doesn't know if he is any good or not? That is incompetence and stupidity at its worst. Get him a line, a real HC, a real OC, and then praise him or trade him. Right now, we know squat about alex, other than he can't play qb behind the worst OL in the league.
Agree completely with the add of the bolded part.

The importance of innovative, perceptive coaching is vastly under-rated by many observers. They look only at what the see on the surface and never look deeper. That is like a fisherman walking up to a lake and looking out over the surface, and seeing no fish, walks away to tell the others back at the lodge that there are no fish in the lake.

Contrast that to a fisherman who walks to the lake, opens his tackle box and selects a lure, ties in onto his line and throws it out onto the surface of the lake and allows it to settle into the water then gradually retrieves it back. After a few casts and catching nothing, he changes to a different lure and repeats the process then switches again until he finally begins to catch fish. He doesn't just keep using the same lure while hoping the fish will eventually at least get snagged on the hook. Instead he keeps working until he selects the lure that fools the fish into thinking it is something good to eat.

Right now, Singletary/Raye are still using the same lure they started with and stubbornly refuse to switch. They are blaming the pole because it doesn't throw the bait far enough, or they blame the reel because it retrieves to quickly, or the line is too visible for the fish, or some other excuse, while the problem is they have the temptation they are offering the fish is not at all tempting.

eh, so much for fish stories...
Share 49ersWebzone