LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Don Banks' Alex Smith comment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please stop comparing Smith to Rodgers. Rodgers is an Pro Bowl QB and Smith is a QB who did not complete a pass until 2 mintues left in the 2nd Quarter. Even our HC admitted that the second half is a bit of a mirage because defenses tend to play a bit looser when they have a big lead. Also, Rodgers has the worst OL in the league this year and he still has All Pro numbers. He lost half is line and did not get two of those players back until this week (against us).

Until Smith shows he can make the plays when everything else around him breaks down, he is nothing but a stand-in until next years draft (or Davis begins to show his worth). As Billick stated yesterday, great QB's make plays regardless of excuses or problems...they find a way to get it done.

That first -half by Smith was some of the worst football I have ever witnessed in my life. For Smith to pass for 5 yards is pitiful (I believe it was acutally -7 total passing yards with sacks). Also, the interception was ALL HIS. He had time to throw and threw a terrible pass, which effectively cost us a chance to win the game. The defense actually held GB to no points in the second half if you take away the interception and GB starting at our 20.

IN OTHER WORDS, SMITH SUCKS!!!! HILL SUCKS!!! NATE DAVIS???? WE NEED A FRIGGIN' QB!!!

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_13848145

Originally posted by DaNiners:
Please stop comparing Smith to Rodgers. Rodgers is an Pro Bowl QB and Smith is a QB who did not complete a pass until 2 mintues left in the 2nd Quarter. Even our HC admitted that the second half is a bit of a mirage because defenses tend to play a bit looser when they have a big lead. Also, Rodgers has the worst OL in the league this year and he still has All Pro numbers. He lost half is line and did not get two of those players back until this week (against us).

Until Smith shows he can make the plays when everything else around him breaks down, he is nothing but a stand-in until next years draft (or Davis begins to show his worth). As Billick stated yesterday, great QB's make plays regardless of excuses or problems...they find a way to get it done.

That first -half by Smith was some of the worst football I have ever witnessed in my life. For Smith to pass for 5 yards is pitiful (I believe it was acutally -7 total passing yards with sacks). Also, the interception was ALL HIS. He had time to throw and threw a terrible pass, which effectively cost us a chance to win the game. The defense actually held GB to no points in the second half if you take away the interception and GB starting at our 20.

IN OTHER WORDS, SMITH SUCKS!!!! HILL SUCKS!!! NATE DAVIS???? WE NEED A FRIGGIN' QB!!!

I think I agree with this guy....
Well I say who cares. When our fans can support our entire team for a full season without personal bias then we should talk. It's funny, just us the fans are the only ones that blamed the game on smith. And even more detailed it's smith haters.

I just say this take him and the offense aside. Make sure you talk about the Worst oline in the league, lookin like the Best. and even the announcers said it. Rodgers scored the most yards in a first half in him entire career. Hmmmmm, could that maybe be while we fell so far behind.

Nah, that can't be it becuz smith and the oline play offense and defense. and did a bad job of shutting Rodgers down. The last 5 minutes smith and company shouldn't of let the packs offense convert on two not one 3rd down plays.

I say stop makin smith and the offense play duel roles so they can be effective. s**t as a cb crabs is a beast. Did u see him make that sack. Or was that harylson. Nah it was smith and the offense
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Meh since Singletary more than likely is coming back again next season, I say let Smith start the rest of this year and next season..keep Raye as coordinator so Smith finally has some consistency at that position, and see what he does.

His numbers aren't really that awful this season, he's healthy.. and he has shown progress in some games. I see nothing better for us next year QB wise (unless we trade for someone like McNabb which is doubtful).

- Smith doesnt call the offensive plays (unless his helmet mic goes out)
- Smith doesnt pass block
- Smith doesnt play defense
- Smith isnt the head coach trying to force an offensive "philosophy" onto players unsuited for it
- Smith isnt giving 10 yard cushions on WRs and still getting burned
- Smith doesnt provide a "pass rush" against a team that had given up the most sacks in the league going into that game

Any questions?
Or...realize we're not going to be a playoff team w/Singletary and Raye and fire them both. Bring in a real head coach who knows what he's doing...while they're at it, hire a dymanic GM who'll get an experienced head coach the players he needs to succeed. Just think for a minute what our offense could be under someone like Shanahan...good OL, good RB corps, smart playcalling...wait, maybe it's not Alex...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Or...realize we're not going to be a playoff team w/Singletary and Raye and fire them both. Bring in a real head coach who knows what he's doing...while they're at it, hire a dymanic GM who'll get an experienced head coach the players he needs to succeed. Just think for a minute what our offense could be under someone like Shanahan...good OL, good RB corps, smart playcalling...wait, maybe it's not Alex...

Now if we could get it through to some of the thick-headed posters on here. This team's problems go a lot further than Alex Smith.

Side note: We have to have one of the worst strength and conditioning coaches in the league. Every game 2 or 3 players are going down. Ridiculous.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

- Smith doesnt call the offensive plays (unless his helmet mic goes out)
- Smith doesnt pass block
- Smith doesnt play defense
- Smith isnt the head coach trying to force an offensive "philosophy" onto players unsuited for it
- Smith isnt giving 10 yard cushions on WRs and still getting burned
- Smith doesnt provide a "pass rush" against a team that had given up the most sacks in the league going into that game

Any questions?

Smith is what he thought he was: a David Carr, Tim Couch, type of QB whose coaches want to keep him around because they lose face if they release him and he does well with some other team. No NFL player in history has had as many people make excuses for them as Smith has. At some point, you are getting paid tens of millions to just produce, and Smith hasn't done that. The man should have gone in the 6th or 7th round of the draft, end of story. Time to move on. Literally.
[ Edited by Shaj on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Well said! I hated the Singletary hiring, it was just easier at the time... He got bypassed for the BAYLOR job and its not like theyve been some powerhouse team! I want an offensive minded coach, that wins games and we definitely have some weapons but arent using them! Im beyond frustrated with everything starting at the top and you can blame Alex all you want but year after year its the same mess
Originally posted by grimreefer14:
to sit here and wring our hands game after game, year after year is a waste of time. its not gonna get better until they start bringing in quality people to head the front office and the scouting dept to find these first day of the draft studs and second day diamonds in the rough. sh**t rolls downhill and until the niner organization gets serious about the draft and big money free agents, we"ll all endure more losing seasons as we watch our beloved niners wallow in mediocrity and inconsistency.

Agreed and it will get a lot worse if there is no salary cap next year...the dumb Dorks are known as very cheap owners.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Simply put, Alex is the only QB on the roster built to lead us back from any deficits we incur in games.

Raye needs to actually incorporate some WELL-DESIGNED run plays -- Not this HB and FB dive Madden bull crap -- but sadly, I feel that's too much to ask. Because without well-designed running plays, we won't be able to run because our line can neither block well enough for Gore consistently, nor can they pass block at all for Alex.

Gosh I can't wait for Staley and Clements to be back. (Hopefully they aren't rusty..)

They run the most basic run plays i've ever seen. I hardly ever see any traps or pulling from the o lineman. Just straight ahead. Earlier in the season they used a lil flip out/toss to Gore that worked well a few times but haven't seen it since. It's just way too vanilla.
we were down by 13 points with over 12 minutes left. Sitting on our own 2 yard line. We throw the ball in to tight coverage because smith had no time in the pocket. WHY WEREN'T WE TRYING TO RUN TO GET A FIRST DOWN AND GIVE THE OFFENSE SOME BREATHING ROOM? THAT WAS THE BIGGEST TURNING POINT OF THE GAME AND ESSENTIALLY LOST US THE GAME. All that hard work in the second half went all for naught. Thanks to the play calling in that situation.
You know I got an idea, to any zoned, smith hater or not, let's for the sake of some just to please you, yup he sucks monkey balls.

In the same breathe, maybe you can be real and just explain, u say the offense isn't doing it's part, then tell me why some of the worst offensive teams in the league, look their best against our D.

You do know Rodgers had his career day, and their oline looked the best it's been all season. Damn, All Season.

What if the d, prevented scoring, and although smith and company(coaching included) didn't produce in the first half, we still counted the 3tds after the spread it out. Even Matt m said, you'd figure 3tds 1, int, should be enough for any qb.

Manning against us, 0tds, no Ints. They win. Yesterday, 1td, 2ints, they still win. Romo, one td. They win. Stafford 5tds, spread it out, pocket time, playcalling to his strengths. Point is great teams find a way to get it done. When a qb throws an int or bad pass, the d steps up, gets it back. Or on next possesion they shake it off and drive it for a score.

Why hate soo much on one player when if the "it" factor that teams have and need when it's time to step it up we fail on. Those last minutes of aarons drive, qb sneak first down. 3 and long where we would of still had 2 mnutes. And if ya'll was like me knew we were gonna get a stop. But what happens, first down. If d stops all day and gives up a score n the final td. Do we still talk about how great all game or that final td.

As a team we failed once again. It's not the number of plays either team ran, it's the quality of making those key plays on offense and defense. I'm just sayin
Originally posted by susweel:
He shows you just enough to keep you wanting more. On KNBR they were calling him Steve Deberg.

They were also saying "he only provides moments of good play. He's not consistent enough." You could say the exact same thing about Gore. It's the O-line and our GM's failure at addressing it.

When Alex had time and the receiver's got open we had some huge plays. Watch the highlights. Smith made some GREAT throws.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Shaj:
Alex Smith reminds me of what Bill Walsh once said about Steve Deberg: "he's just good enough to get you beat." That is what we have at QB.

Well, we seem to have "fans" who can write stupid one liners without any knowledge of football.
Share 49ersWebzone