LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 144 users in the forums

Keep Raye next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Keep Raye next year?

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Keep him unless Turner is available.
We have enough problems at QB. We don't need a change at OC to compound the problem.

Hill and Smith need to continue to get comfortable with this offense.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Alex probably isn't going to be our franchise QB, so what's the harm in hiring somebody with a more dynamic approach?

The Alex era will never happen and in my opinion, the 49ers should draft a QB in the 1st round of next years draft. It just makes sense that we move on and turn our attention to a new prodigy QB who can grow with our young and developing O-line, our proven running game, and our young and talented receiving core.

Crabtree has to be one of our focal points on offence next season and we need a more wide open attack to make him prominent. If a wide open offence makes Crabtree shine, Singletary will loosen on his stead-fast run-first approach.

Big time teams have big time QB's. Alex can be our backup, but we need to move on if we plan on being contenders. Hire a new o-coordinator who wants to commit to the job and who can implement a solid west coast approach.

There is not a QB worth a first round pick coming out this next draft. We have to fix the o line and safety more than waste a pick on an unworthy QB that might not be ready to play for a few years. Next year Smith and Davis will be our QB's most likely.
V.Davis is flourishing in this offense, once we get a QB to learn the playbook, our receivers will start putting up some #"s too.
  • Veteran
I don't like Raye and the way he runs the offense. However, we have to bring him back to have some kind of continuity.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Let's see what he does in these last few games. It's still his first season as the OC so we need to give him some time to find the offense's strengths. I think that he has shown the ability to alter the offense to meet our needs, I think this was evident when we started running more of a spread type offense.

However, if we continue to produce nothing but 3 & outs he needs to go.
How many OCs do we go thru before we realize that consistency needs to be a concern.
He'll be back without a doubt. Like it or not, he's the best OC we've had since Norv. This team could really benefit with another year in the same system.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We finally got a guy who will stick around for a while and you guys want to get rid of him already? Give the guy a chance to see what he can do with this group, who by the way haven't played together at all.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM ]
I think a little continuity for this offense would definitely help. If Norv is available then of course dump his old ass. Honestly I think if we had a SOLID O-Line Gore would be way more successful, thus making Raye look better etc...

Originally posted by strickac:
He'll be back without a doubt. Like it or not, he's the best OC we've had since Norv. This team could really benefit with another year in the same system.

I agree. It would be nice to go through an offseason where the players aren't learning a whole new system. Unlike 2007,we have seen some positive things from a few players on offense. I'd like to see what Raye can do with 2 more starting caliber lineman, another year of development of Crabtree, Hill, and Morgan.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Jimmy Raye was hired for one main reason: continuity. They wanted a guy who would be here for multiple years. There is no way in the world they dump him after a single season. In the minds of McCloughan, Singletary, et al., the reason for this team’s offensive struggles begin and end with the lack of continuity at the OC position.

Raye knows football. The offense’s struggles are not all on him. He’s got a pretty good track record when he has quality players and time to build them into an effective unit. Look for the team to get a quality Guard in FA, draft a RT in the first round, and maybe replace the O-line coach. If you fix the O-line, everything else will look better. Meanwhile you continue the search for a franchise QB and at the end of 2010, if he’s ready, you promote Johnson to OC and keep the same system.

Yup what he said

This just in: continuity is important when you have a winning atmosphere. You guys want continuity with a struggling offense and a 4-5 record? The point is you want good things to continue, not bad ones. If that means starting all over again, then so be it.

Steve Young harps on this all the time: Offensive football is choreography. It's all about timing, coordination, and execution. Everybody has to be on the same page and doing everything the same way every time. The only way you get that is through repetition.

That's what we mean by continuity. Repetition and familiarity. It's not about continuing to win or continuing to lose. It's about everyone executing together with the same timing, the same way, every time. That comes from having the same system in place with the same people for more than one year in a row.

You don't create a winning atmosphere by bringing in a new offensive coordinator every year for 7 years straight... I think the 49ers have established that. You have to have a system, an identity, and continuity in place, then you'll have a winning atmosphere that's worth "continuing."
Originally posted by JaaDogg49:
I think a little continuity for this offense would definitely help. If Norv is available then of course dump his old ass. Honestly I think if we had a SOLID O-Line Gore would be way more successful, thus making Raye look better etc...

40 three and outs, second most to only the RAIDERS!!!!!!!!! I retract my last statement. Get that old f**k outta here. Plus the more I watch this game the more I think my hang over was effecting me earlier!
F#$K NO! FIRE HIS ASS AT HALFTIME!!!!

Martz > Raye
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:13 AM ]
  • Mex49
If your starting QB isnt coming back the consistancy theory is out the window and having Raye back is just wrong
Share 49ersWebzone