LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Blame Alex thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmike55:
WTF is wrong with you Alex Smith guys. Some of you are talking about Smith as if he's the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. I think he's probably the second worst QB in the NFL right now. There are probably a bunch of backup QBs around the league that are better than him. This is pathetic. Put Shaun Hill back in.

Name 29 QBs who you feel are better?
WTF is wrong with you Alex Smith guys. Some of you are talking about Smith as if he's the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. I think he's probably the second worst QB in the NFL right now. There are probably a bunch of backup QBs around the league that are better than him. This is pathetic. Put Shaun Hill back in.

Coming from the guy who would take JaLardass Russell over Alex. Alex ain't that great, but that's just f**king silly. Go crawl back in your hole...
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Coming from the guy who would take JaLardass Russell over Alex. Alex ain't that great, but that's just f**king silly. Go crawl back in your hole...

Originally posted by wordlesschor:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by wordlesschor:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think ur just a hating troll. green bay played soft? ya thats it, they wanted us to come within a drive of beating them. thats it, to hell with stepping on another teams throat and keeping them down and securing a game. lets let the good ol niners come back and almost win. no sir, we played better for the same reasons that we've almost come back all season long, singletary gets away from his prehistoric offense after we fall 20 or so points behind and he actually lets the team spread out a little and plays to their strengths. we have these issues because singletary told the world we would be a "physical with an F" type team and he's gonna keep pushing that until he gets some success so he can feel special, rather than playing to the teams strengths. most of our offensive playmakers came from a spread system, theyre used to it. many players alluded at the end of the game that we need to go to more of a spread system. even our s**tty O-line held up well enough for smith to bring us back into the game. Indy, the Pats, the Saints, the chargers, the steelers, most of the best teams in the league run a 3 or 4 receiver set as their primary offense. dont be ignorant and just blame smith, its been done, its not true. the gy has proved that he can move the ball, and move the ball well when the coaches call his kind of plays. coaches should play to their players strengths, not the other way around

Hey man sorry i dont follow the team as blindly. I have my opinions about the game and if that makes me a troll then so be it. If you're satisfied with one good half of football then more power to you. Like i said, i'm pulling for Smith to improve, he's all we have right now. But still, anybody who was pleased with the first half and/or pleased with the outcome of this game is the real troll. I'm happy Smith, Crabs and Davis got theirs today but i'd be much happier with a W. Smith's gotten the chance to ride the pine for 2 years and observe, he's getting better, but i still think he needs to show more that's all i'm saying. Sweet baby jesus, some people act like they married the damn guy.

first of all i wasnt even talking to u. i didnt feel the need to quote the original post, just respond to it. if u feel i was talking to u then take it as u will. i just think people who blame smith for all the teams woes are ridiculous. if the 49ers would run the same offense that they do in the 2nd half all game long, we win this game, and all 5 of the other games we lost by less than a TD. and smith only attempted 7 passes, im sure he told the coaches to only let him pass 7 times. and of those 7 he was hit or sacked on most of those. go watch it again. if you people cant see the difference in the offensive gameplan from 1st half to 2nd half you need to start watching a less complex game

My fault. Your post came almost directly after i mine and i made a reference to Lord of the Rings haha. Yeah i understand what you're saying. With Raye's playcalling though i kind of doubt we go automatically into the spread to start the game against the jags. Whether it's bull-headedness by the coaches or a lack of creativity i dont think we have much to lose operating out of that system the rest of the season. It'll atleast give us a more complete analysis of Smith. I've been a fan of how he's carried himself off the field. The dude got a raw deal with the OC carousel he's been on and the last couple years especially with his injury situation with Nolan. I'm rooting for the guy as usual just wanna see 4 quarters of solid play out of him and the team.

no worries man, we're all concerned fans. i hope they do start a game from start to finish in spread mode and see what happens. their way obviously isnt working so why not try and atleast see how the team responds? theyre gonna go to it anyway when we're down by a few TD's. if we find that the spread does work, we can put a whole offseason into fine tuning it and come out next year and run up some scores on people. our defense played horribly in the first half too because they were on the field for so long, they looked way better in the second half with some rest. the whole team looked better in the second half because the offense was in their comfort zone and the defense had time to rest. they have nothing to lose. only a stuborm man would ignore what everyone knows will work better than whats goin on right now.

Another dumba$$ remark. Some of you "fans" are kinda nutty. He is our best qb on this team. Hill throws passes that look like punts and Davis is a dislexic rookie who has never taken a NFL snap. Come on dude. Nobody is saying he is Brady or Manning. But he is the best we've got at this particular time and we have to see what we have in him.

Dude nobody says he's Brady or Manning, but even then we would have a hard time winning when the D can't get off the field and when our OL gives up sack after sack. Do you know Manning and Brady both take about 60-70% of their snaps out of the shotgun?
Stop using no offensive line as an excuse.

Green Bay has given up the most sacks in the NFL. There QB threw all over us. Also, had over 150+ rushing yards on us.

Alex Smith cannot be the QB of this team. Its denial. You dont want to believe we are FUNKED for the next 7 years again cause we have no QB.

And lastly, WE DON'T HAVE THE FUTKIN OFFENSE LINE FOR SPREAD OFFENSE.
Originally posted by Reckless:

Green Bay has given up the most sacks in the NFL. There QB threw all over us. Also, had over 150+ rushing yards on us.

Alex Smith cannot be the QB of this team. Its denial. You dont want to believe we are FUNKED for the next 7 years again cause we have no QB.

Another stupid remark. Our offensive line gave up zero sacks in the spread in the second half. None. That's the only hope we have is running a spread, because it is the most protection we will ever get. I will tell you what, the Packers may have the worst offensive line but our defensive line sure made them look good today, didn't it?! I mean our pressure on anybody is flat out terrible.

Get a stop watch and rewatch the first half of our offensive possessions.

Alex Smith threw 7 passes. He was sacked on 3 of 10 dropbacks. Smith wasn't atrocious, our line was. A QB cannot function if he's getting sacked 30 percent of the time. It's that simple. You can try to blameshift all you want, but I don't care who it is, we cannot have a successful QB with line play like that.
Originally posted by Reckless:

The Rodgers reference is just plain wrong. He has more attempts overall and with more plays called in his favor. I've watched every game thus far and we all see the play calling where we have a play set for a short gain.
[ Edited by Peanut49 on Nov 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM ]

Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
"And the wheels on The dumbf**k bus go round and round, round and round, round and round......."

lmao
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Get a stop watch and rewatch the first half of our offensive possessions.

Alex Smith threw 7 passes. He was sacked on 3 of 10 dropbacks. Smith wasn't atrocious, our line was. A QB cannot function if he's getting sacked 30 percent of the time. It's that simple. You can try to blameshift all you want, but I don't care who it is, we cannot have a successful QB with line play like that.
This is exactly what I was afraid of. We got our asses handed to us in the first half. That was the "real" 49ers squad. Inept on the offensive front with a defense trying its best to hang in the game. Alex Smith played atrocious. It was a tell tale of how this season has gone for us, and in the case of Alex Smith.......confirmed our suspicions that he's the same ole bust that he's always been.

But then GB got soft. They let off the aggression. The Niners became desperate (as we do in games where we're blown out by halftime) and started airing it out. All of a sudden, Alex looks like a hero. Attention is diverted away to OFF-FIELD issues (eg playcalling, coaching) instead of the garbage that is being displayed on the field.

Now..............even though we lost this game in the first half.........everyone is touting a MORAL VICTORY. No longer is Alex the bust that he's been since he became starter this season, but rather the unsung hero who brought his team back from extinction. Yeah, Ive seen this movie before.......try San Diego and Philadelphia 2006........where we were blown out by halftime + a piss poor performance by Smith, only to have him pad his stats against loose defenses in the 2nd half. End result = blind supporters flashing the "I love Alex Smith" badge and asking for his jersey to be retired next to Montana's.

And now we come full circle. Again, Alex comes up short in the first half. Niners get put out of the game. GB backs off in the 2nd....Alex gets a chance to open it up a bit (we'll forget the INT that led to GB's TD of course), and now we're shouting for a contract extension. Go Alex ! We know you're capable of "almost" winning it, and we'll ignore that you're one of the main reasons behind the loss to begin with.

Im sick of this s**t. There is no such thing as "moral" victories when you've been rebuilding for 7 years. There's no such thing as "moral" victories when your 1st round daft pick QB gets outshined by one who has a worse oline and supporting cast. And there's no "moral" victory with fans that find every damn excuse in the book to forgive their lame QB, who is ridiculed (watch highlights on NFL Network) by every major media outlet, but think they have a diamond in the rough that needs only a probowl RB, 2 probowl WRs, and 3/5 probowl OLinemen to showcase his REAL skills.

I really do wish that we would have lost, so we could finally start accepting the truth, instead of pretending that Alex will be a star if we use the spread offense. Yeah, like teams wont prepare for that. And then what, when we cant even get a completion with the spread ? Are we finally going to accept Alex as the bust that he is ? Oh no. We'll probably blame Raye or the oline as we always do.

PS - That INT wasnt Alex's fault. It was tipped by the leaf that was blowing in the wind.
+

Alex throws seven passes in the first half and that makes him a bust!? I guess Gore could be declining bescause he only had five carries also, huh!? Im not defending Alex here at all but by the end I probably will. How about assignong the blame to our defense and get off of his back. We all know they cannot get off the field.

He's played one full season since arriving here. Plus we all know the rest of the story. You have a first year HC and everyone wants to win a SB. This team is far from that. The playoffs are a question marked but not out of reach.

We've payed him so much money there is no reason not to see what he can do for the reast of this year and all of next year. Is Raye truly a great OC? No, just a MS puppet. They need someone to step in like the Titans did and say let the kid do what he does best and run with that. No one is truly sure if he is a bust or a starter that has had some bad breaks. We should want to find out though and then complain when he isn't here anymore, if that happens.

I know lets throw Nate Davis in with no O-Line and a limited playbook and see what happens! Or draft a QB and throw him in next year and see if he'll save the franchise! Does that sound familiar?

If Smith doesn't improve and show he is the starter for the next few years then draft a QB in April. Davis hasn't looked bad though so why not groom him for a few years. Or if you do draft a QB let him sit a year and make Alex earn his money that he has been paid?

My point is this teams woes cannot be blamed on a single person. There is far more problems then him. No QB could survive on this team!
Originally posted by ace8016:
This is exactly what I was afraid of. We got our asses handed to us in the first half. That was the "real" 49ers squad. Inept on the offensive front with a defense trying its best to hang in the game. Alex Smith played atrocious. It was a tell tale of how this season has gone for us, and in the case of Alex Smith.......confirmed our suspicions that he's the same ole bust that he's always been.

But then GB got soft. They let off the aggression. The Niners became desperate (as we do in games where we're blown out by halftime) and started airing it out. All of a sudden, Alex looks like a hero. Attention is diverted away to OFF-FIELD issues (eg playcalling, coaching) instead of the garbage that is being displayed on the field.

Now..............even though we lost this game in the first half.........everyone is touting a MORAL VICTORY. No longer is Alex the bust that he's been since he became starter this season, but rather the unsung hero who brought his team back from extinction. Yeah, Ive seen this movie before.......try San Diego and Philadelphia 2006........where we were blown out by halftime + a piss poor performance by Smith, only to have him pad his stats against loose defenses in the 2nd half. End result = blind supporters flashing the "I love Alex Smith" badge and asking for his jersey to be retired next to Montana's.

And now we come full circle. Again, Alex comes up short in the first half. Niners get put out of the game. GB backs off in the 2nd....Alex gets a chance to open it up a bit (we'll forget the INT that led to GB's TD of course), and now we're shouting for a contract extension. Go Alex ! We know you're capable of "almost" winning it, and we'll ignore that you're one of the main reasons behind the loss to begin with.

Im sick of this s**t. There is no such thing as "moral" victories when you've been rebuilding for 7 years. There's no such thing as "moral" victories when your 1st round daft pick QB gets outshined by one who has a worse oline and supporting cast. And there's no "moral" victory with fans that find every damn excuse in the book to forgive their lame QB, who is ridiculed (watch highlights on NFL Network) by every major media outlet, but think they have a diamond in the rough that needs only a probowl RB, 2 probowl WRs, and 3/5 probowl OLinemen to showcase his REAL skills.

I really do wish that we would have lost, so we could finally start accepting the truth, instead of pretending that Alex will be a star if we use the spread offense. Yeah, like teams wont prepare for that. And then what, when we cant even get a completion with the spread ? Are we finally going to accept Alex as the bust that he is ? Oh no. We'll probably blame Raye or the oline as we always do.

PS - That INT wasnt Alex's fault. It was tipped by the leaf that was blowing in the wind.
+

Alex throws seven passes in the first half and that makes him a bust!? I guess Gore could be declining bescause he only had five carries also, huh!? Im not defending Alex here at all but by the end I probably will. How about assignong the blame to our defense and get off of his back. We all know they cannot get off the field.

He's played one full season since arriving here. Plus we all know the rest of the story. You have a first year HC and everyone wants to win a SB. This team is far from that. The playoffs are a question marked but not out of reach.

We've payed him so much money there is no reason not to see what he can do for the reast of this year and all of next year. Is Raye truly a great OC? No, just a MS puppet. They need someone to step in like the Titans did and say let the kid do what he does best and run with that. No one is truly sure if he is a bust or a starter that has had some bad breaks. We should want to find out though and then complain when he isn't here anymore, if that happens.

I know lets throw Nate Davis in with no O-Line and a limited playbook and see what happens! Or draft a QB and throw him in next year and see if he'll save the franchise! Does that sound familiar?

If Smith doesn't improve and show he is the starter for the next few years then draft a QB in April. Davis hasn't looked bad though so why not groom him for a few years. Or if you do draft a QB let him sit a year and make Alex earn his money that he has been paid?

My point is this teams woes cannot be blamed on a single person. There is far more problems then him. No QB could survive on this team!

Wow. Nice post.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Why is everyone on the OP's butt? It seems to be a real fan in the webzone's eyes one has to be blindly optimistic and believe in everything the team's management and coaches do. Also to look at the bright side and say the play-offs and a Super Bowl contender are right around the corner. Please wake up and smell the coffee. The great run of 5 SB's and 17 straight 10 win seasons were done under a free spending owner during an era where there was no salary cap. We now have been taken over by a tight wad owner who spends as little as the NFL will allow. Greatness begins at the top, see Pittsburgh and New England if you would like to argue. The 49ers front office does not contain any career football people other than Scot McCloughan and he was a Nolan flunkie. The current salary cap does not control the salaries of front office personnel or coaches and in these positions the 49ers are staffed with who ever can be had on the cheap, until that changes the team will be lucky to be mediocre. A major edge a team can have in the salary cap era is to spend money in areas that are not governed by the cap. This team does not do this. I am willing to bet the 49ers are in the bottom of the league in salaries not governed my the cap. Until this changes they will continue to strive for mediocrity. This organization used to be something to be proud of, from the owner all the way down to the guy cutting the grass, it no longer is, it is pretty sad that those of us who realize this get flamed in here.
[ Edited by BobS on Nov 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone