LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 444 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by teeohh:
start alex smith if we lose the next 4 games in a row

I wouldn't start Smith. But in the next game if Hill continues to struggle then I say bench his ass and put Smith in the game. This wasn't the first game that Hill struggled in. This was just the first game where because of the score it was highlighted.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Hell yeah start Smith after the bye. Hill hasn't played well win or lose, and we haven't won games because of him. He has a winning record technically, but that's because we've beat teams we should beat but he can't get this team to win vs a team that's as good or better than us. He's not a play making QB. I'm sorry but one TD pass to a WR 5 games into the season isn't very good, and he has thrown INTs too. He's a 2nd string game manager, teams are figuring him out and he can't make them pay by puting the ball where only the WR can get it or throwing the long ball when he was a 1 on 1 match up down field and the WR is behind the corner. Just look at when Morgan told Sing "that pass came down like a punt". I'm sorry but I don't buy that these recievers are that bad. Morgan was good last year, and when he's gotten open he hasn't gotten the ball. When he gets the ball he usually makes plays, just look at the 61 yard reception he had today. We need a QB to get the ball to the recievers down field, open s**t up, and that's how you open stuff up for your running game. We don't use as much play action because Shaun can't put the ball down the field. He makes his living dumping the ball off to the RB or TE but now that teams figure him out they just leave the recievers open, and blitz, and they make sure they take his dump off away and he can't do anything. Sorry but our recievers have been getting better but he can't make all the throws he needs to.

To everyone saying stuff like "NO, I would rather put in Nate Davis than crappy Smith" guess what, Nate ISN'T READY. He's a dyslexic rookie who is still learning the playbook and doesn't have chemistry with the first team. Atleast Smith got some snaps with them in PS. You think Smith sucks, well Hill hasn't done anything Smith couldn't have done, and I don't want to ruin Davis, so what's the risk in puting Smith in? Wake up and realize we aren't going to win if Hill keeps playing this badly. It's not that he's just playing badly, it's that he's a pretty limited QB who can't get the ball to the recievers because his arm doesn't let him and it's killing our ability to get drives going and it's killing the TOP and the defense is getting exhausted. Is everything Hill's fault? No. But we can't beat teams that are as talented as we are or better because he holds us back.
I do agree with your analysis.

Oh, and sorry about your jersey Bro.
Originally posted by luis1985:
I don't know yet, I want to see Alex but then I dont. I feel as if I cheated when I want Alex in the game. Hill sucked badly in this game, his accuracy was just piss poor. Does alex have a better accuracy than Hill? I don't know for sure, 2 years is a long time and he could have improved in that aspect of his game. For sure though is that Alex Smith has a MUCH better deep ball accuracy than Hill. He also has a MUCH better arm than Hill does and can make those tight throws. I would give Hill one more chance and if he fu**s up again I think Alex deserves a chance.

The real question is if Alex would do any better with this OL? The OL is the weakest link in our team and that has to be fixed with coaching change first IMO.

i agree for the most part, give hill one more game and if he fails again then put in smith, i dont know what you mean by coaching change, maybe an o-line coach or something but to fire the OC midseason wouldnt be smart.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by susweel:
Starting Smith after one bad game by Hill would be stupid. If Hill has multiple bad games then I can see that happening. But right now its not the time. Also how would starting Smith make the team any better, last time I checked that dude sucks worse then Hill.

Was that in 2007 when Smith led a great drive to beat Arizona?

No it was clearly the Seattle game when a 300lb+ fat ass fell on him. He really sucked it up in that game

Add the Seattle game where Smith did well on the last drive, and you guys just summed up all of Smith's career accomplishments.

Congratulations

yup you are 100% correct I don't know what we would do without Hill and his great ability to hand the ball off and throw passes that come down like punts.

We'd probably lose the Arizona opener and let Seattle come back in the home opener. But thats ok........those games were flukes. Just like every game Hill won for us last year. Good job.

Like he lost the opener in 2007? Riiiight. Smith isn't great but he can make a lot more throws than Hill. Shaun didn't play well vs Seattle either. He didn't even play that great vs the Rams. At this point we KNOW we can't beat good teams with Hill, we don't know that with Smith. This is a totally different team than the one Alex started on in 06 and 07. And I'm sorry but you can't just blake Raye every time Hill fails. I've seen guys get open and Hill doesn't get them the ball. All Raye can do is call plays where guys get open. If Hill were able to stretch the field then our run game would be doing a lot better and Raye wouldn't look like such an idiot.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by luis1985:
I don't know yet, I want to see Alex but then I dont. I feel as if I cheated when I want Alex in the game. Hill sucked badly in this game, his accuracy was just piss poor. Does alex have a better accuracy than Hill? I don't know for sure, 2 years is a long time and he could have improved in that aspect of his game. For sure though is that Alex Smith has a MUCH better deep ball accuracy than Hill. He also has a MUCH better arm than Hill does and can make those tight throws. I would give Hill one more chance and if he fu**s up again I think Alex deserves a chance.

The real question is if Alex would do any better with this OL? The OL is the weakest link in our team and that has to be fixed with coaching change first IMO.

i agree for the most part, give hill one more game and if he fails again then put in smith, i dont know what you mean by coaching change, maybe an o-line coach or something but to fire the OC midseason wouldnt be smart.

Oops, I mean o-line coaching change, and I don't know about now but for sure next at the end of the season.

[ Edited by luis1985 on Oct 11, 2009 at 19:45:35 ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Hell yeah start Smith after the bye. Hill hasn't played well win or lose, and we haven't won games because of him. He has a winning record technically, but that's because we've beat teams we should beat but he can't get this team to win vs a team that's as good or better than us. He's not a play making QB. I'm sorry but one TD pass to a WR 5 games into the season isn't very good, and he has thrown INTs too. He's a 2nd string game manager, teams are figuring him out and he can't make them pay by puting the ball where only the WR can get it or throwing the long ball when he was a 1 on 1 match up down field and the WR is behind the corner. Just look at when Morgan told Sing "that pass came down like a punt". I'm sorry but I don't buy that these recievers are that bad. Morgan was good last year, and when he's gotten open he hasn't gotten the ball. When he gets the ball he usually makes plays, just look at the 61 yard reception he had today. We need a QB to get the ball to the recievers down field, open s**t up, and that's how you open stuff up for your running game. We don't use as much play action because Shaun can't put the ball down the field. He makes his living dumping the ball off to the RB or TE but now that teams figure him out they just leave the recievers open, and blitz, and they make sure they take his dump off away and he can't do anything. Sorry but our recievers have been getting better but he can't make all the throws he needs to.

To everyone saying stuff like "NO, I would rather put in Nate Davis than crappy Smith" guess what, Nate ISN'T READY. He's a dyslexic rookie who is still learning the playbook and doesn't have chemistry with the first team. Atleast Smith got some snaps with them in PS. You think Smith sucks, well Hill hasn't done anything Smith couldn't have done, and I don't want to ruin Davis, so what's the risk in puting Smith in? Wake up and realize we aren't going to win if Hill keeps playing this badly. It's not that he's just playing badly, it's that he's a pretty limited QB who can't get the ball to the recievers because his arm doesn't let him and it's killing our ability to get drives going and it's killing the TOP and the defense is getting exhausted. Is everything Hill's fault? No. But we can't beat teams that are as talented as we are or better because he holds us back.
I do agree with your analysis.

Oh, and sorry about your jersey Bro.

Confetti
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by teeohh:
start alex smith if we lose the next 4 games in a row

Better not wait that long...

Yeah, why lose with Hill when you can lose with Smith... in STYLE!

Yeah we should stick with the guy that sucks and can't throw it down the field, that works...Hill Style!
I just hope this isn't the game where Hill got "figured out." I know in one of those millions of QB threads in the off season I said Hill will have good initial success only to have it come crashing down as the season rolls along and we play solid teams. I hope I was wrong.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
lol, you guys are silly.

I'm amused by the ninertalk panic.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
changes have to be made. the oline played crappy but Hill gets most of the blame today. 15 of 38? seriously? Jamarcus Russel is probably the only QB who had a worse day than Hill. Hill has been ok the last few games but in no way has he carried this team. Smith shouldve been put in durring the 4th quarter but i think singletary is afraid that a QB controversy this early in the season would tank the team. part of me agrees with singletary in sticking with Hill but at the same time Smith cant do any worse than Hill at this point, all those missed passes today were unacceptable. try smith atleast, you have nothing to lose in a game when your down 45-10. maybe smith could do the trick. 150 yards through the air on your good days is not enough to win in this league

Good Post

What are the chances Coach Sing actually benches Hill?

As much as i would like to see Alex get in there (especially after today) I just don't see Shaun getting benched unless he turns into JTO and turns it over four times a game. I mean Gore comes back after the Bye and we'll just continue to hand off to Frank which again, will hide Shaun's mistakes and lack of play making.
will not be surprised if we come out with a typical slow ass 1st half start against houston 2 wks from now. if that happens singletary needs to make the move asap, we lose this gm im prepared to expect a long losing streak and the division crown to the cards. not trying to be a downer but just possibly stating the facts. hill limits the offense so much and houston can be hot or cold and i can expect clements to have a tough time against aj.
Originally posted by crzy:
lol, you guys are silly.

I'm amused by the ninertalk panic.

Well, the Niners have had some recent quick starts with suspect offenses. We've been burned by false expectations before.
The ugly face of Smithism has turned its head once again.

The niners are in first place after five weeks, we should bench hill.

Vernon Davis doesn't seem to recognize when a team blitzes and does not look early for the ball, we should bench hill.

The o line can't seem to keep anything away from the QB after 2 seconds, we should bench hill.

I don't know if the hot routes were Vernon's sole responsibility but it seemed that no 49er were adjusting when the falcons blitzed. Usually hill was throwing at a WR or TE and they were too busy trying to get up field.

The defense gives up 35 points in the first half. We should bench hill.

[ Edited by fister30 on Oct 11, 2009 at 19:53:00 ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I just hope this isn't the game where Hill got "figured out." I know in one of those millions of QB threads in the off season I said Hill will have good initial success only to have it come crashing down as the season rolls along and we play solid teams. I hope I was wrong.

I am afraid I think you are correct. Teams will just stack the box and take away the run. They will blitz and cover the safety valves(RB and TE) No need to cover the WR's because Hill can't get the ball to them anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone