Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by teeohh:
start alex smith if we lose the next 4 games in a row

Better not wait that long...

Yeah, why lose with Hill when you can lose with Smith... in STYLE!

Yeah we should stick with the guy that sucks and can't throw it down the field, that works...Hill Style!

Mine was better.

What's the point of being able to throw it down the field if it's off the mark by 5-10 yards? Provided Smith is able to not drop the snap that is.

Hill was missing by more than that today...to the dump off passes.

So our oline sucked then too...what's your point?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Hell yeah start Smith after the bye. Hill hasn't played well win or lose, and we haven't won games because of him. He has a winning record technically, but that's because we've beat teams we should beat but he can't get this team to win vs a team that's as good or better than us. He's not a play making QB. I'm sorry but one TD pass to a WR 5 games into the season isn't very good, and he has thrown INTs too. He's a 2nd string game manager, teams are figuring him out and he can't make them pay by puting the ball where only the WR can get it or throwing the long ball when he was a 1 on 1 match up down field and the WR is behind the corner. Just look at when Morgan told Sing "that pass came down like a punt". I'm sorry but I don't buy that these recievers are that bad. Morgan was good last year, and when he's gotten open he hasn't gotten the ball. When he gets the ball he usually makes plays, just look at the 61 yard reception he had today. We need a QB to get the ball to the recievers down field, open s**t up, and that's how you open stuff up for your running game. We don't use as much play action because Shaun can't put the ball down the field. He makes his living dumping the ball off to the RB or TE but now that teams figure him out they just leave the recievers open, and blitz, and they make sure they take his dump off away and he can't do anything. Sorry but our recievers have been getting better but he can't make all the throws he needs to.

To everyone saying stuff like "NO, I would rather put in Nate Davis than crappy Smith" guess what, Nate ISN'T READY. He's a dyslexic rookie who is still learning the playbook and doesn't have chemistry with the first team. Atleast Smith got some snaps with them in PS. You think Smith sucks, well Hill hasn't done anything Smith couldn't have done, and I don't want to ruin Davis, so what's the risk in puting Smith in? Wake up and realize we aren't going to win if Hill keeps playing this badly. It's not that he's just playing badly, it's that he's a pretty limited QB who can't get the ball to the recievers because his arm doesn't let him and it's killing our ability to get drives going and it's killing the TOP and the defense is getting exhausted. Is everything Hill's fault? No. But we can't beat teams that are as talented as we are or better because he holds us back.
I do agree with your analysis.

Oh, and sorry about your jersey Bro.

Thanks man. It's no big deal, I actually have bigger problems to worry about than my jersey but that type of thing happens to me all the time so oh well.

I honestly think Raye gets too much credit for the offenses failings, because everyone wants to convince themselves that Hill is an amazing QB and the 2nd coming of Garcia because he had a few games. But his last few passes of the game, heck this whole game, showed Hill's problems. He can deliver the ball quick when a guy gets open. He can't put the ball where only the reciever can get it. His ability to get the ball out fast and make quick decisions has been overrated by everyone on here, I like him as a person and as a back up QB but I said that in preseason where he was taking sacks and he was holding the ball just as long as Smith. There were plays out there where Shaun had no idea what in the world was going on, like those 2 passes to VD where Vernon was supposed to go somewhere else(I don't know if he had an option depending on the coverage or what) and Hill throws it way behind him, almost got picked on one of those. He's not really a genius game manager, at the same time he doesn't have the arm to make the throws and on throws he could make he doesn't trust himself either. The ball arrives late a lot and gives the DB time to recover most of the time. WRs have to slow up on his deep throws and he doesn't have accuracy down field. Just look at the INT Bruce saved in the Seattle game, or the would be TD pass Morgan dropped because it came down like a punt and he couldn't catch it in stride. I want to see how the WRs can play with a QB who can get them the ball, I have a hunch that it would pick up the whole offense and we wouldn't be getting so many three and outs. I don't see us beating anyone anymore with Hill at QB, if he stays and he gets wins I'll eat crow and give him props but if he keeps this up I want to see Smith out there so we don't ruin Davis.
You're right on with Hill. Its also compounding the problem with our crappy protection of Hill. I cant put Nate in the same scenario as Smith though; if he were to be put in the game, because people handle adversity differently. Davis could be the lock that we need in a QB. He will make misstakes, but my argument is that he will also make throws, runs, dropbacks, rollouts, decisions, fades, bombs, and out routes that our other QBs cant make.
I for one have been saying that since day one when Hill's favorite target became over the hill Isaac Bruce who somehow manages to find ways to drop passes left and right. Alex might not be the answer but Hill looks like a robot out on the field and our "WR's" are nowhere to be found because of his careful play that gets us nowhere against teams like the Vikings and the Falcons
amen

I will now
  • JMPNINER
  • Info N/A
Here's my take on the changes that need to happen

Bench hill- I don't think this OL allows hill time to throw the ball. Alex has a much stronger arm. The interior line has been awful. Are all 3(baas, rachal, heitman) playing poorly? Internally, can we improve?

Wr- bench bruce. I haven't seen him get open all year. Start jhill + jones.
Hopefully norv will be available in the offseason. Jimmy raye reminds me of hostler.

OL- I'm shocked with our line play. The whole interior line must improve It's killing our run game too.
Originally posted by job2436:
I for one have been saying that since day one when Hill's favorite target became over the hill Isaac Bruce who somehow manages to find ways to drop passes left and right. Alex might not be the answer but Hill looks like a robot out on the field and our "WR's" are nowhere to be found because of his careful play that gets us nowhere against teams like the Vikings and the Falcons

ive noticed hills favorite target is davis smiths is morgan and bruce
Smith would look just as bad, if not worse with our current pass protection.

The answer is to fix the O line first, then probably draft a future QB. We have 2 firsts next year, so I'm all for a RT and QB.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Smith would look just as bad, if not worse with our current pass protection.

The answer is to fix the O line first, then probably draft a future QB. We have 2 firsts next year, so I'm all for a RT and QB.

i dont think so our pass protection was much much worse before when he was starting than it is now
  • hopeforniners
  • Info N/A
I'd much rather see us start Nate Davis.
A.Smith is done and we all know that S.Hill is not the long term solution. I'd much rather know whether N.Davis can cut it or draft someone next year.

BTW - this is not based of one game's perspective.
Originally posted by JMPNINER:
Here's my take on the changes that need to happen

Bench hill- I don't think this OL allows hill time to throw the ball. Alex has a much stronger arm. The interior line has been awful. Are all 3(baas, rachal, heitman) playing poorly? Internally, can we improve?

Wr- bench bruce. I haven't seen him get open all year. Start jhill + jones.
Hopefully norv will be available in the offseason. Jimmy raye reminds me of hostler.

OL- I'm shocked with our line play. The whole interior line must improve It's killing our run game too.

Your benching hill comment doesn't make sense...

I am suprised you are the first I have seen to bench Bruce, I feel the same way...

Can't put it all on Hill since he has no O help
The whole team sucked today, lets just bring in the practice squad for the remainder of the season and call it quits - OVERREACT MUCH?!!!!
Originally posted by kstolai:

agreed you can't put it all on him, but you gotta agree that it doesn't appear he has what it takes to win championships. Manage games, sure, win championships, not.

u put in all on smith when he had less help
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

u put in all on smith when he had less help

If the team does not come out strong in the next few weeks and prove this was a bad performance, then this team is really no different than 06. Makes sense considering most people had us predicted at 7-9 wins....
Share 49ersWebzone