Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by ptw1:
In Schefter's report, he states that the Niners are not budging from the 10th slot. So, we know their contract offer. We don't know what Crabtree is asking (cheers to Parker for keeping this confidential...unlike our organization that leaks information to every newspaper reporter through league sources).

Say what you want about Parker, but he's kept the contract negotiation silent, which allowed for some form of compromise in the end. He could be asking for top 5, top 7 money, or simply something out of the tenth slot. We simply don't know. And, that is the key to a good contract negotiation.

But since the Niners have made it clear to the world that they aren't budging, this contract is not going to be signed. Just a stupid, stupid manuever. It puts them, and Crabtree into a box that has no solution, other than one side having to cave in and lose face. This has become a "saving face" situation for both sides, and the Niners have created this situation by going public through secondary and third parties.

Crabtree is an easy target for scorn, but this also shows the organization to have severe problems. They are just as culpable, or more, for this disaster.

There are some many things that can be put on the organization over these past several years but this isn't one of them. Even though WR wasn't their biggest need, he clearly was the highest rated player on their board. Even if he is, and they knew, a "diva", no one could expect a draft pick to sit out the entire season. No matter how great he was in college, still there is greater likelyhood of him being a bust then a pro-bowl caliber player. The 9ers aren't being cheap. And for those who swear he will be great and want the 9ers to cave. The fact is, even if he becomes a great WR, caving in to the 10th pick would have far greater consequences on the team in future drafts.

My argument is that if they were not willing to think outside the box on his contract, they should have never drafted him in the first place.

I had a very strong hint that Crabtree would never accept 10th slot money, and this looks to be true. The Niners did not understand the perspective Crabtree (whether right or wrong) would carry into contract negotiations, and for them to simply claim ignorance is not good enough.

And if it is proven that 2 other NFL teams have indeed tampered with Craptree, therefore throwing a monkeywrench into the contract talks....what say you then?

Do you honestly believe that Crabtree was ready to cave, and then....two teams emerge to change his mind?

This was never going to happen if the Niners never were going to leave the 10th slot.

If another NFL team had actully drafted Craptree in the 10th spot, by honest, do you think they would have accepted Craptree's money demand?

If you think the 49ers are the ONLY NFL team who would have had this problem with Craptree.... you are smoking some heavy stuff.

Nobody knows what Crabtree is offering, so nobody can answer this questions. The only ones babbling are the Niners and that is not helping.

Hey Dog you are the first one to tell posters to stick to the facts. Because its reported that the 49ers could adjust their offer doesnt mean its true. I didnt hear this from the 49ers. Plz show me a Link that the 49ers said this or quit speculating.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
I"m not saying give him what he wants, I'm saying at least talk to him. Obviously Willis is going to get paid whatever he wants, but its not like we have soo many talented players that we have to worry about paying them all. As for the 2 first rounders next year, they absolutely will s**t all over us anyways. Imagine if both of next years first rounders threatened to sit out the whole year also. What are we gonna do go without 3 first round picks that could've helped us? If we're the Patriots fine lets play hardball, but we're the Niners......i don't want to be stuck in mediocrity forever. Don't appease him entirely, but lets have a little give and take or at least a discussion.

See the thing is, how do we know that these talks haven't already taken place? We don't.

Slowly be appeasing and appeasing, you're going to be giving the deal that Crabtree wanted all along...

-9fA

Exactly. Plus, it has been "reported" that even Parker, his agent, has said the contract is fair! It isn't like this organization is lowballing him or being cheap...we are being fair! So if he doesn't want what's fair...then he is an idiot and the last thing the Niners need are idiots on this football team.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We'll trade Crabtree for a top ten pick next year and draft Dez Bryant. He's faster and is a deep threat unlike Crabtree. Don't worry it'll all turn out all right.
Originally posted by mayo63:
We'll trade Crabtree for a top ten pick next year and draft Dez Bryant. He's faster and is a deep threat unlike Crabtree. Don't worry it'll all turn out all right.

Originally posted by mayo63:

Boy, I don't think a top 10 pick will be coming the Niners way for this guy. We spent a 10 pick on him and 9 other teams didn't want him. Maybe this team gets like a mid 1st for him...which I guess wouldn't be too bad either. 3 first round picks would be most excellent.
Interesting tidbit:

49ers | Crabtree offered highest non-QB slot boost
Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:25:19 -0700

Charley Casserly, of CBS Sports, reports the San Francisco 49ers offered WR Michael Crabtree the highest non-quarterback pay percentage boost for any draft slot on the 2008 scale.

LINK
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Interesting tidbit:

Charley Casserly, of CBS Sports, reports the San Francisco 49ers offered WR Michael Crabtree the highest non-quarterback pay percentage boost for any draft slot on the 2008 scale.

LINK

they offered a new deal?

or are they still talking about the same slotted deal?
yay i just saw percy harvin score his first nfl touchdown! f**k crabtree
Cracked Crab
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Interesting tidbit:

LINK

they offered a new deal?

or are they still talking about the same slotted deal?

What you're reading is what I'm reading. If you ind out, let us know.

Interesting tidbit:

LINK

higher than DHB's percentage boost for his draft slot?
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
ESPN News says that Michael Crabtree will not sign with 49ers and sit out entire season... reported by Schefter (sp?)

If that's true, it's time to start investigating these tampering charges. A couple extra picks is the best we can hope for at this point. As for Crabtree, I am one of those that hopes his mistake is amplified down the road by severe misfortune. The grass isn't always greener, and in this case I hope it's brown as s**t.

Come on, Amp. The team does not receive compensation if tampering charges are found to be true. The league simply take away a draft choice.

We had our 5th round pick taken away but we did have our 3rd round pick switched w/CHI which is a "value" taken from us and given to CHI. Also, the thought was the penalty would have been much greater if we actually signed Briggs once he hit the FA market. He isn't signed yet because he doesnt want to play in SF otherwise he wouldn't be living there. This isn't about reaching certain goals otherwise the discussion would be about lowering the escalator clauses. This is simply about up front money. The most logical conclusion is he believes his market value is based on conversations with other team(s) and he figured the 9ers would cave. If he doesn't sign, this is something the NFL will have to investigate as the integrity of the draft will be forever compromised.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Interesting tidbit:

LINK

higher than DHB's percentage boost for his draft slot?

Well, it says "highest", so...
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Originally posted by 9er2k:
It's real simple the 49ers have offered him a fair contract IMO but to get the money he wants he has to hit certain incentives which he will never hit with a short passing game(due to Hill's armstrength) and a run first offense if you read the article from the link I

posted above you will see only 2 receivers have hit 1000 yards in Rayes offense.The only way this is going to work out is to have the 49ers raise up the level of guaranteed money.At this point I say you have to do I mean personally I don't like the stance he's taken but if you trade his rights your not getting your 1st round pick back so why not just guarantee him more and you your two 1st on other needs like a passrusher?

As i've said, if you're primary concern is that you're not going to be able to hit the incentives, then you're a joke of a WR. Man, i wish Crabtree could have the mindset of Calvin and Andre Johnson.

-9fA

I agree but this is the situation we got our selves into so we got to make the best of it top 10 picks are too valuable to give up.Seriously if Crabtree were drafted by a team with a good passing attack he would have signed the contract awhile ago

That's the thing though, you're most likely not going to get drafted by a team with a good passing attack in the top 10. If those teams had good passing attacks, they wouldn't be picking in the top 10 to begin with.

In the last draft, i would only say that the Bengals and i guess the Packers have good passing attacks...

It's not like we're ranked dead last in passing, we were ranked 13th in the league.

-9fA

I know this has been beaten to death, but it is the OFFICIAL Crabtree thread

That said, what kind of calculus is going through this kid's mind where he ACTUALLY thinks he will be drafted higher next year when:

1) Dez Bryant, a WR that will be the #1 WR taken
2) You have been out of football for 1 year (Mike Williams anyone)
3) Lingering Questions (Trent "Hostler is a Superstar Coordinator" notwithstanding) about a) the foot; b) true speed
4) Diva Label Confirmed
5) The Scorn of the NFL
6) Cold Product (took that from Eminem's Lose Yourself lol
7) What have you done lately
8) Rashaun Woods Redux
9) You won't be able to work out at the meat market, i.e. combine
10) Money Grubbing Scumbag (posterboy for the rookie salarycap -- i.e. the "Crabtree rule" lol)
11) The other WRs to emerge out of 1) this season; 2) the combine

We'll probably trade him in that 6 week window. Or, he'll get picked somewhere at the end of the first / top of the second. Do you think Jerry Jones, after picking him #24 will give him > #10 money. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Jerry Jones, before anything else, is a business.

This kid just lost at least 10 million in salary, more than that in endorsements.

The notion of "Cutting of my Nose to Spite my Face" comes to mind.

Or the Anthony Hopkins / Hannibal Lechter move (I think it was the #3) where the rich guy was on PCP and took a razor blade and cut off the skin on his face.

THAT, is that Crabs is doing.

Lets watch this thing as people watch a train wreck, unable to look away but curiously excited at the horror
Originally posted by JMC52:
If he did sit out the season I would like to spend a 2nd round on him next year and offer him lowball money, either he would take it or his career after missing 2 years would be ova :)

I don't believe we are allowed to pick him again in next years draft. I think there's an NFL rule that prohibbits that. It would be nice though.
Share 49ersWebzone