There are 183 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
I"m not saying give him what he wants, I'm saying at least talk to him. Obviously Willis is going to get paid whatever he wants, but its not like we have soo many talented players that we have to worry about paying them all. As for the 2 first rounders next year, they absolutely will s**t all over us anyways. Imagine if both of next years first rounders threatened to sit out the whole year also. What are we gonna do go without 3 first round picks that could've helped us? If we're the Patriots fine lets play hardball, but we're the Niners......i don't want to be stuck in mediocrity forever. Don't appease him entirely, but lets have a little give and take or at least a discussion.

See the thing is, how do we know that these talks haven't already taken place? We don't.

Slowly be appeasing and appeasing, you're going to be coming to the deal that Crabtree wanted all along...

-9fA

All we know is what's been said via the media. I guess I don't share the same optimism in our front office. I don't believe our front office has the wherewithal to be creative on this one. All I know is Adam Schefter reported that there's been little to no movement. Now we can wonder why that's such, but I'm concerned we're going to lose a player who would realistically be a starter next year. Scotty Mac doesn't have it in him to be decisive. He's too conservative. This has shown in his approach through the draft. It's just my opinion, but I firmly believe that Crabtree will never play for us now. They gave him an offer, didn't talk to him and are now threatening to reduce it. If we didn't budge in our stance to up the offer, what made us think he'd budge in his stance to take the lesser offer?
  • Wiseman
  • Info N/A
I"m not saying give him what he wants, I'm saying at least talk to him. Obviously Willis is going to get paid whatever he wants, but its not like we have soo many talented players that we have to worry about paying them all. As for the 2 first rounders next year, they absolutely will s**t all over us anyways. Imagine if both of next years first rounders threatened to sit out the whole year also. What are we gonna do go without 3 first round picks that could've helped us? If we're the Patriots fine lets play hardball, but we're the Niners......i don't want to be stuck in mediocrity forever. Don't appease him entirely, but lets have a little give and take or at least a discussion.

See the thing is, how do we know that these talks haven't already taken place? We don't.

Slowly be appeasing and appeasing, you're going to be coming to the deal that Crabtree wanted all along...

-9fA

All we know is what's been said via the media. I guess I don't share the same optimism in our front office. I don't believe our front office has the wherewithal to be creative on this one. All I know is Adam Schefter reported that there's been little to no movement. Now we can wonder why that's such, but I'm concerned we're going to lose a player who would realistically be a starter next year. Scotty Mac doesn't have it in him to be decisive. He's too conservative. This has shown in his approach through the draft. It's just my opinion, but I firmly believe that Crabtree will never play for us now. They gave him an offer, didn't talk to him and are now threatening to reduce it. If we didn't budge in our stance to up the offer, what made us think he'd budge in his stance to take the lesser offer?

Maybe I missed something, but when did we say we were thinking of REDUCING our offer?
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
It's real simple the 49ers have offered him a fair contract IMO but to get the money he wants he has to hit certain incentives which he will never hit with a short passing game(due to Hill's armstrength) and a run first offense if you read the article from the link I posted above you will see only 2 receivers have hit 1000 yards in Rayes offense.The only way this is going to work out is to have the 49ers raise up the level of guaranteed money.At this point I say you have to do I mean personally I don't like the stance he's taken but if you trade his rights your not getting your 1st round pick back so why not just guarantee him more and you your two 1st on other needs like a passrusher?

You make good points. I too have said all along that if Crabtree is going to sit out the opener, then he most likely won't have any second thoughts about sitting out the regular season.

When teams are drafting in the top 10, most likely they need the player that they drafted VERY badly. What would happen if more players did this to organizations? I mean should all the teams just start caving in..? You know they really could use the player.

This is why i'm not so disappointed in the front office - we're not lowballing the guy.

-9fA
Originally posted by JMC52:
If he did sit out the season I would like to spend a 2nd round on him next year and offer him lowball money, either he would take it or his career after missing 2 years would be ova :)

he can't be redrafted by the team that originally took him. I think MM reported it a few weeks back.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
It's real simple the 49ers have offered him a fair contract IMO but to get the money he wants he has to hit certain incentives which he will never hit with a short passing game(due to Hill's armstrength) and a run first offense if you read the article from the link I posted above you will see only 2 receivers have hit 1000 yards in Rayes offense.The only way this is going to work out is to have the 49ers raise up the level of guaranteed money.At this point I say you have to do I mean personally I don't like the stance he's taken but if you trade his rights your not getting your 1st round pick back so why not just guarantee him more and you your two 1st on other needs like a passrusher?

As i've said, if you're primary concern is that you're not going to be able to hit the incentives, then you're a joke of a WR. Man, i wish Crabtree could have the mindset of Calvin and Andre Johnson.

-9fA
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran

As i've said, if you're primary concern is that you're not going to be able to hit the incentives, then you're a joke of a WR. Man, i wish Crabtree could have the mindset of Calvin and Andre Johnson.

-9fA

I agree but this is the situation we got our selves into so we got to make the best of it top 10 picks are too valuable to give up.Seriously if Crabtree were drafted by a team with a good passing attack he would have signed the contract awhile ago
this srticle from espn should put this thread to rest. crabtree will not play for the 49ers, and I'm glad. i think scotty is a fool! we should've drafted for NEED!!! I will alugh at anyone of you that shows up to the game in a crabtree jersey!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#1923

Schefter: Crabtree to sit out '09
11:37
AM ETMichael Crabtree | 49ers Top Email We've been following the rumors regarding Michael Crabtree during the months that he's continued to hold out, but Sunday morning's update from NFL Insider Adam Schefter is a doozy.

Citing multiple sources, Schefter indicates that Crabtree will sit out the entire 2009 season and re-enter the draft in April.

Yowza. Well, as Schefter notes, "San Francisco has offered Crabtree a slotted deal with a value somewhere between picks No. 9 and picks No. 11. Crabtree wants to be paid more like a top pick. ... Each side has dug in, remained entrenched in its stance, and shown no signs of budging -- none."

Adam Schefter
This risk Crabtree might take

"If San Francisco can't sign him, the 49ers hold his rights until midnight the night before the draft in April. If he holds out, Crabtree is betting that he would go higher than No. 10 in the draft next year and land a contract bigger than the one the 49ers are offering. It's an interesting gamble, and only time will tell whether it's right."
Guys i think we should make a BAN on ever talking about that piece of sh****t wide reciever! STOP TALKING ABOUT HIMMMMMM...LETS ALL BAN TOGETHER GUYS!
Originally posted by Wiseman:

-9fA

Maybe I missed something, but when did we say we were thinking of REDUCING our offer?

Jay Glazer reported on Fox

-9fA

I agree but this is the situation we got our selves into so we got to make the best of it top 10 picks are too valuable to give up.Seriously if Crabtree were drafted by a team with a good passing attack he would have signed the contract awhile ago

That's the thing though, you're most likely not going to get drafted by a team with a good passing attack in the top 10. If those teams had good passing attacks, they wouldn't be picking in the top 10 to begin with.

In the last draft, i would only say that the Bengals and i guess the Packers have good passing attacks...

It's not like we're ranked dead last in passing, we were ranked 13th in the league.

-9fA
  • AER49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by wailers15:
this srticle from espn should put this thread to rest. crabtree will not play for the 49ers, and I'm glad. i think scotty is a fool! we should've drafted for NEED!!! I will alugh at anyone of you that shows up to the game in a crabtree jersey!

c'mon this is ridiculous. that has been his gameplan since day 1; always trying to draft the best player available on the 49ers draft board. if he drafted someone else while crabtree was available, everyone on this board would go apesh*t. it was our greatest need and the best receiver fell in our lap. i think he underestimated the level of diva in michael crabtree. maybe mangenius in cleveland was right when he said that crabtree would be a headache. i am so disappointed by all this; it seems like we can't win for trying.
Time to move on. Let's just forget about him this season and concentrate on what the 49ers have to do to win and don't let it become a big distraction. As soon as we get the chance to trade him, we look for the best value and trade him.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Guys i think we should make a BAN on ever talking about that piece of sh****t wide reciever! STOP TALKING ABOUT HIMMMMMM...LETS ALL BAN TOGETHER GUYS!

HELL YES!!! I'm with you. whats up with the mods on here? stop this madness! no more bulls**t. he's not even a 49er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by JMC52:
If he did sit out the season I would like to spend a 2nd round on him next year and offer him lowball money, either he would take it or his career after missing 2 years would be ova :)

that would be awsome...
Share 49ersWebzone