There are 182 users in the forums

Goldson ready to step up as starting safety

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Anyone see the new "Know your Teamate" on 49er.com with Goldson and T Brown... Gldson looks ore like a LB. His arms are huge for a DB
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
IMO he's a much better fit at strong safety than free Safety but we'll see what happens.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/08/SPMU18334K.DTL

Quote:
The 2008 season was barely over when the new head coach, Mike Singletary, anointed him as the starter over Roman. When he gave Goldson the word, Singletary stressed, "You've got to step up." Goldson, 24, was happy to oblige. "I felt pretty good," he said of the big moment. "I've been in the system for a while now. I feel I can come in here and play." A fourth-round draft pick out of Washington in 2007, Goldson has been flying around 49ers practices ever since then, making a high number of interceptions in Santa Clara while his dreadlocks flowed under his helmet. Goldson sees himself as someone who can help rejuvenate the team's anemic pick numbers. "No doubt about that," he said.

His helmet obviously doesn't fit if his dreadlocks can "flow" under it!
  • G_Rus
  • Info N/A
I think he will be a definite upgrade. However he is agressive and i dunno if thats a good thing with clements being agressive.....could be alot of plays burning us deep
Originally posted by Hopper:
IMO he's a much better fit at strong safety than free Safety but we'll see what happens.

I concur, and I think we gave up on Smith as a CB too soon as well.
I can't be more excited to see Goldson getting the nod to be our starting FS. The guy has a great nose for the ball but my only questions are injuries and our pass rush ability. If those two things stay in check I'm expecting a solid year from our secondary and the defense as a whole. But if he can't stay healthy I have one word for the zone. ROMAN! God help us!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
He better break out this year or it's Eric Berry or Taylor Mays that comes to town!

I say we still grab one of them, preferably Taylor Mays since Michael Lewis isn't getting any younger.

Having seen both of them play several times,I would rate Berry as a better choice.He is faster,gets more interceptions and is just as sure a tackler as Mays.I know you west coast guys probably like the USC guy better,but Berry can play every defensive back position at a high level,whereas Mays is really an undersized linebacker.

Mays is really an undersized linebacker??? are you kidding me?

The dude runs like a 4.3-4.4 40 yard dash.
He hits like Ray Lewis
He's 6'3 230lbs.
I'm sure he could play linebacker if he wanted to, but I would re-phrase your quote from being an undersized linebacker... to a freak of nature defensive back.

The guy can lay the wood. He puts fear in recievers, running backs, and tight ends.

And I know some of you may say he's weak in coverage, but anybody remember a guy named Ronnie Lott??? He didn't need to be the best at covering receivers because he just knocked the living sh*t out of them when they caught the ball to cause incomplete passes, which are just as good as breaking up passes.

We need a "Patrick Willis" in our secondary, and IMO, I think Mays would be the perfect fit.

But he is not a very good cover guy,jeez man.Ronnie Lott was never weak in coverage,he was one of the better cover safeties as a matter of fact(he was a CB some years you know?).Look up their stats and you will see that Berry is a superior overall safety to Mays in every single category.I know you like your west coast boy,but look at the numbers and you will see the truth.Not only does the guy average more than a dozen more tackles a year than Mays,but he has 12 interceptions in the past two years to Mays 3,his return average for interceptions is a whopping 40+ yards a return.I agree that Mays is a great player,and if he learns how to cover and play the ball,he could be as good as Berry,but right now,such talk is ludicrous...the stats just do not lie.In my perfect world Mays would be our SS and Berry would be back there with him.The undersized linebacker comment was not meant to be a bad thing,dude is a beast of a SS.I was not trying to bag on Mays,I like him,we just do not need him as much as we need Berry.I am hopeful that Goldston can play well,just not sure if he is durable enough.We don't need a Patrick Willis in the secondary,we need a Ronnie Lott in our secondary.Berry can play any of the DB positions and excels at them all...just like Ronnie.

I know you are a fan of big hits,well I am telling you Berry will lay the wood to someone with a sick quickness,and he isn't afraid to either as his 86 tackles as a freshman followed by 72 this past year.

Berry > Mays x2

Berry will be the best FS since Sean Taylor drafted in the NFL. I am a big fan of Mays to but Berry is just sick and has great ball instincts.
Ready to see Goldson step in and play great and stay healthy
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
He better break out this year or it's Eric Berry or Taylor Mays that comes to town!
I say we still grab one of them, preferably Taylor Mays since Michael Lewis isn't getting any younger.
cosign lewis will need to be replaced eventually.
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Goldson was a big time hitter in pre-season before he got hurt ... it will be nice to add another intimidating face to the defense.

+1

I went to the Falcons game in 2007, which was disappointing on many fronts but none more than seeing Goldson fly all over the field on special teams and then not being allowed to see the field at least in nickel situations.

That, ad nausem, was really one of Nolan's BIGGEST problems. He wanted these rookies to adapt to what he wanted...but he never gave them the shot necessary to learn.

I'm glad Mike did what he did. It gave the kid confidence to go out and let it loose. I think our safety problems just may be problems no more...

• jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Goldson has 2 picks and a forced fumble so far, more picks than Roman had as the starter for 3 years.

He's also wearing the green dot and I have been very impressed with his ability to co-ordinate the defense and the secondary. He looks like a good smart safety.
Originally posted by jaghetersofie:
Goldson has 2 picks and a forced fumble so far, more picks than Roman had as the starter for 3 years.

He's also wearing the green dot and I have been very impressed with his ability to co-ordinate the defense and the secondary. He looks like a good smart safety.

You are kidding me, he's f**king horrible.
Originally posted by znk916:

the entire defense is horrible
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A

He is tied for the lead in INT on the team and has taken the play-calling responsibilities. In his first year as a starter I think he's done well.
  • B650
  • Veteran

He is tied for the lead in INT on the team and has taken the play-calling responsibilities. In his first year as a starter I think he's done well.

He takes horrible angles. I don't know if that's something he can improve upon. He can hit though.
Share 49ersWebzone