LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Goldson ready to step up as starting safety

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/08/SPMU18334K.DTL

Quote:
The 2008 season was barely over when the new head coach, Mike Singletary, anointed him as the starter over Roman. When he gave Goldson the word, Singletary stressed, "You've got to step up." Goldson, 24, was happy to oblige. "I felt pretty good," he said of the big moment. "I've been in the system for a while now. I feel I can come in here and play." A fourth-round draft pick out of Washington in 2007, Goldson has been flying around 49ers practices ever since then, making a high number of interceptions in Santa Clara while his dreadlocks flowed under his helmet. Goldson sees himself as someone who can help rejuvenate the team's anemic pick numbers. "No doubt about that," he said.
I hope he is because there hasn't been much that he has shown in the limited snaps that he has had on gameday.

-9fA
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Good article. I hope Dashon Goldson stays healthy this season because I think he has a lot of potential. He definitely needs to play smarter this season though.
If I see him blitz the quarterback while someone else has the ball again this season, I'll be really .

Based on what Manusky and the other defensive coaches have said, our scheme doesn't really have a significant difference between free safety & strong safety. Both seem to be interchangible. However, we're already lacking some depth now w/ the injuries & illness.

Michael Lewis - Abdominal Strain (since the end of last season!)
Mark Roman - Illness
Reggie Smith - Groin Injury

That leaves Curtis Taylor as our only other safety and I don't see him getting significant playing time this season... unless it's a last ditch effort.
Originally posted by nekst:
Good article. I hope Dashon Goldson stays healthy this season because I think he has a lot of potential. He definitely needs to play smarter this season though.
If I see him blitz the quarterback while someone else has the ball again this season, I'll be really .

Based on what Manusky and the other defensive coaches have said, our scheme doesn't really have a significant difference between free safety & strong safety. Both seem to be interchangible. However, we're already lacking some depth now w/ the injuries & illness.

Michael Lewis - Abdominal Strain (since the end of last season!)
Mark Roman - Illness
Reggie Smith - Groin Injury

That leaves Curtis Taylor as our only other safety and I don't see him getting significant playing time this season... unless it's a last ditch effort.

Marcus Hudson can do some spot duty at safety (he's played spot here and college)
Im calling it, Goldson will be our breakout player this year!!!!!!
He better break out this year or it's Eric Berry or Taylor Mays that comes to town!

this guy is going to be a baller. i'm excited.
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
He better break out this year or it's Eric Berry or Taylor Mays that comes to town!

I say we still grab one of them, preferably Taylor Mays since Michael Lewis isn't getting any younger.
i've been hyped about Goldson since we drafted him. Hope he pans out.
Can't wait to watch this kid take over at FS. If he can stay healthy, I think he gets anywhere from 5-8 INT's this year. He has a nose for the ball, is big with long arms and has a swagger about him.

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:

I say we still grab one of them, preferably Taylor Mays since Michael Lewis isn't getting any younger.

Having seen both of them play several times,I would rate Berry as a better choice.He is faster,gets more interceptions and is just as sure a tackler as Mays.I know you west coast guys probably like the USC guy better,but Berry can play every defensive back position at a high level,whereas Mays is really an undersized linebacker.
I'm sure he would help step up our Defence and force turnovers but please man stay healthy!
im just a fan of dreads
I don't recall Goldson being much of a tackler but from what I've seen I've always liked his coverage skills. He looks like more of playmaker. I'm still wondering why in the hell did Mark Roman start at FS for so damn long. The guy did absolutely nothing.
Goldson was a big time hitter in pre-season before he got hurt ... it will be nice to add another intimidating face to the defense.
Share 49ersWebzone