There are 160 users in the forums

Goldson ready to step up as starting safety

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
He better break out this year or it's Eric Berry or Taylor Mays that comes to town!

I say we still grab one of them, preferably Taylor Mays since Michael Lewis isn't getting any younger.

Having seen both of them play several times,I would rate Berry as a better choice.He is faster,gets more interceptions and is just as sure a tackler as Mays.I know you west coast guys probably like the USC guy better,but Berry can play every defensive back position at a high level,whereas Mays is really an undersized linebacker.

Mays is really an undersized linebacker??? are you kidding me?

The dude runs like a 4.3-4.4 40 yard dash.
He hits like Ray Lewis
He's 6'3 230lbs.
I'm sure he could play linebacker if he wanted to, but I would re-phrase your quote from being an undersized linebacker... to a freak of nature defensive back.

The guy can lay the wood. He puts fear in recievers, running backs, and tight ends.

And I know some of you may say he's weak in coverage, but anybody remember a guy named Ronnie Lott??? He didn't need to be the best at covering receivers because he just knocked the living sh*t out of them when they caught the ball to cause incomplete passes, which are just as good as breaking up passes.

We need a "Patrick Willis" in our secondary, and IMO, I think Mays would be the perfect fit.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I hope he is because there hasn't been much that he has shown in the limited snaps that he has had on gameday.

-9fA

If not you can you can break out that Mark Roman banner

Give the guy a chance geez

He better break out this year or it's Eric Berry or Taylor Mays that comes to town!

I say we still grab one of them, preferably Taylor Mays since Michael Lewis isn't getting any younger.

Having seen both of them play several times,I would rate Berry as a better choice.He is faster,gets more interceptions and is just as sure a tackler as Mays.I know you west coast guys probably like the USC guy better,but Berry can play every defensive back position at a high level,whereas Mays is really an undersized linebacker.

He hits like Ray Lewis
He's 6'3 230lbs.
I'm sure he could play linebacker if he wanted to, but I would re-phrase your quote from being an undersized linebacker... to a freak of nature defensive back.

The guy can lay the wood. He puts fear in recievers, running backs, and tight ends.

And I know some of you may say he's weak in coverage, but anybody remember a guy named Ronnie Lott??? He didn't need to be the best at covering receivers because he just knocked the living sh*t out of them when they caught the ball to cause incomplete passes, which are just as good as breaking up passes.

We need a "Patrick Willis" in our secondary, and IMO, I think Mays would be the perfect fit.

Besides being a big hitter Ronnie was an excellent cover guy in his younger days and also had alot of picks.PB'er at CB and S.You don't get to the HOF just by hitting people.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i've been hyped about Goldson since we drafted him. Hope he pans out.[/quote

Agreed,hope so too.
  • omarl02
  • Info N/A
is Goldson fast ?
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by omarl02:
is Goldson fast ?

I don't remember his sprint times, but I do recall they were OK. I'd describe him as quick rather than fast, and that he has very good reflexes and reaction times.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I hope he is because there hasn't been much that he has shown in the limited snaps that he has had on gameday.

-9fA

If not you can you can break out that Mark Roman banner

Give the guy a chance geez

Mark roman! 1 int in the last 2-3yrs.........wow
Goldson will add some big play ability out their in the secondary
He nabs interceptions just about every time he's out there so I think he's fast enough. What we need back there is a ball-hawk and that's exactly who this guy is. He's one of the reasons I'm excited about the team this year.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
I don't recall Goldson being much of a tackler but from what I've seen I've always liked his coverage skills. He looks like more of pla I'm still wondering why in the hell did Mark Roman start at FS for so damn long. The guy did absolutely nothing.

You didn't hear? Nolan loved him cuz he was a vet who was ALWAYS IN THE RIGHT POSITION! (Not that he ever did anything when he was there, but why quibble over petty details.)

Originally posted by DANADA:
im just a fan of dreads

cept zak

He hits like Ray Lewis
He's 6'3 230lbs.

But he is not a very good cover guy,jeez man.Ronnie Lott was never weak in coverage,he was one of the better cover safeties as a matter of fact(he was a CB some years you know?).Look up their stats and you will see that Berry is a superior overall safety to Mays in every single category.I know you like your west coast boy,but look at the numbers and you will see the truth.Not only does the guy average more than a dozen more tackles a year than Mays,but he has 12 interceptions in the past two years to Mays 3,his return average for interceptions is a whopping 40+ yards a return.I agree that Mays is a great player,and if he learns how to cover and play the ball,he could be as good as Berry,but right now,such talk is ludicrous...the stats just do not lie.In my perfect world Mays would be our SS and Berry would be back there with him.The undersized linebacker comment was not meant to be a bad thing,dude is a beast of a SS.I was not trying to bag on Mays,I like him,we just do not need him as much as we need Berry.I am hopeful that Goldston can play well,just not sure if he is durable enough.We don't need a Patrick Willis in the secondary,we need a Ronnie Lott in our secondary.Berry can play any of the DB positions and excels at them all...just like Ronnie.

I know you are a fan of big hits,well I am telling you Berry will lay the wood to someone with a sick quickness,and he isn't afraid to either as his 86 tackles as a freshman followed by 72 this past year.

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jun 13, 2009 at 18:08:02 ]
goldson WILL to step up at free safety.. we've been lacking a decent one for years and we saw what our D looked like once we started him against the skins last season

Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by omarl02:
is Goldson fast ?

he ran a 4.67 forty

FYI, scout.com profile times/weights etc are collected when the player was being recruited out of HS. They don't update them once they are on a college team, I would suspect he is quicker than that now.
Share 49ersWebzone