LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No way we keep Sims and not Boone. Sims has been a disaster for this team.
Originally posted by ezrider:
No way we keep Sims and not Boone. Sims has been a disaster for this team.

I agree with you about Sims but I am highly uncomfortable that the alternative to him at this point is an undrafted rookie FA like Alex Boone.
He's undrafted because he can't seem to control his alcohol. There is no question about his ability on the field. He has twice been first string All Big 10 at tackle. The guy can play. He needs to stay away from the sauce or turn that nastiness back to the field.
  • marls
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
NINERS 53 players

Offense: 27 players

QB: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Damon Huard

RB: Frank Gore, Glen Coffee, Thomas Clayton

FB: Morran Norris,

WR: Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Dominque Ziegler

WR: Isaac Bruce, Brandon Jones, Jason Hill

TE: Vernon Davis, Delaine Walker, Bear Pasco

LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone

LG: David Baas, Adam Snyder

C: Erick Heitman, Cody Wallace

RG: Chilo Rachel, Tonny Wragge

RT: Marvel Smith, Barry Sims

Defense: 24 players
3-4 Rotational

RE: Justin Smith, Demetric Evans

NT: Aubrayo Frankiln, Issac Soapaga

LE: Ray Mcdonald, Kentwan Balmer

LOLB: Manny Lawson, Paul Egbuh

MLB: Takeo Spikes, Scott Mckillup

MLB: Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks

ROLB: Parrys Haralson, Brandon Long (NEED UPGRADE, Maybe Taylor)

CB: Walt Harris, Shawntae Spencer?, Reggie Smith

FS: Dashon Goldson, Marcus Hudson

SS: Michael Lewis, Jimmy Williams

CB: Nate Clemetns, Tarrel Brown, Jahi Word-Daniels

Special Teams: 3 players

K: Joe Nedney

P: Andy Lee

KR: Allen Rossum

LS: Bear Pascoe (saves roster spot)

Sorry Brian Jennings good luck

Practice Squad: 8 players

QB Nate Davis
RB Kory Sheets
FB Zack Keasey
WR Mark Bradford
LB Mark Washington
OT Jackob Bender
DT Rick Jean-Francois
S Curtis Taylor

I have to say... I like the way we look on paper. I think the qb situation will be fine. We are going to make some noise in the playoffs this year! javascript:qdS('');
I like the idea a few have posted, letting Smith go and keeping Hill, Huard and Davis. Assuming Hill actually performs. You'd have a guy who at least started to look good last year, a veteran back up, and a good prospect that can sit and learn from both. That looks like a nice setup for the present and future.
I can't wait untill i see Michael Crabtree on the field catching and running !
Everyone has an element of the game that they enjoy pondering and pontificating upon, and mine is roster completion. I thought I would speculate depth chart, 53 man roster, and practice squad to see how things might shake out this summer:

Depth Chart and positional breakdown of 53 man roster:

Offense (25):

QBs (3):
Starter: Shaun Hill Backup: Alex Smith 3rd string: Nate Davis

Rationale: Shaun Hill has proven that he is a tough competitor and his teammates respect him. He gives us the best chance to win immediately. Alex will likely see time given Hill's proclivity for being injured, but Smith coming off the bench will have a lot less pressure than Smith as starter/savior.

RBs(5):
Starter: Frank Gore Backup: Glen Coffee Change-of-pace: Kory Sheets
FB: Moran Norris Utility Backup/ST Ace/ Wildcat QB/whatever: MRob

Rationale: The competition will be between Sheets and Clayton. So many on here think that MRob is going to be cut but that is insane. Robinson fills so many roles and his relationship with Rossum on kick-offs probably buys us an extra 2 TDs this year and an extra 5-10 yards of starting field position. I believe Sheets beats out Clayton based solely on skill set. Sheets offers outside speed and the potential to return kickoffs in a year or two. Clayton can't do either.

TEs(3):
Starter: Vernon Davis Backup: Delanie Walker Blocker: Bear Pascoe

Rationale: Unless an injury occurs, this position is set in stone.

WRs(5):
Starters: Josh Morgan and Isaac Bruce Backups: Jason Hill, Michael Crabtree, Brandon Jones

Rationale: I will truly miss Arnaz Battle, but I don't see any way that he can make this team. There are too many question marks along the offensive line to justify keeping a sixth WR. Ziegler definitely has potential and if they can hide him on the practice squad or IR I would be very happy. Otherwise, the five that are listed aren't going anywhere.

OL(9):
Starters: Joe Staley, David Baas, Eric Heitmann, Chilo Rachal, Marvel Smith
Backups: Tony Wragge, Adam Snyder, Cody Wallace, Joe Toledo

Rationale: The only position on here that is up for debate is the last tackle position. Many, including me, hope that Alex Boone can be the RT of the future but the truth is that he needs to prove he can stay clean and work hard for at least a year before he earns a roster spot. They will be quick to sign him to the practice squad. Cody Wallace might start feeling some heat as well. The team is very happy with Eric Heitman so Cody's rsoter-spot-for-doing-nothing might start to piss Singeltary off soon.

Defense (25):

DL (7):
Starters: Isaac Sopoaga, Aubrayo Franklin, Justin Smith
Rotation: Demetric Evans, Ray McDonald, Kentwan Balmer, Ricky Jean-Francois

Rationale: The line-up will go through countless readjustments and Sopoaga might not start since he will also be Franklin's back-up, but the numbers make sense. Some people want to only keep six, but we need these guys as fresh as possible. Additionally, if some one gets hurt or McDonald can't go right away, we need as much experience as possible to be ready to step in.

LBs (8):
Starters: Parys haralson, Takeo Spikes, Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson
Backups: Ahmed Brooks, Scott McKillop, Jeff Ulbrich, Marques Harris

Rationale: To be quite honest, I would prefer it if Jay Moore beat Brooks out for the spot, but I don't see it happening. Ultimately, it will be whichever of the two can prove a propensity for pass rushing. Moore would get the nod here if McDonald goes on IR.

DBs (10):
Starters: Walt Harris, Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis, Nate Clements
Backups: Tarell Brown, Shawntae Spencer, Reggie Smith, Mark Roman, Marcus Hudson, Allen Rossum

Rationale: The names that will probably raise the most eyebrows on this list are Mark Roman and Marcus Hudson. Roman isn't going to find a team willing to trade for him and the fact is that Roman can still offer value as a back-up FS and dimeback. No, he should never be the starter again, but he is a decent option coming off the bench against five WR sets. Hudson offers depth. He might not be a superstar, but he has improved.

STs (3):
Starters: Joe Nedney, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings

Practice Squad Players

OT Alex Boone
OLB Diyral Briggs
S Lewis Baker
WR Dominique Ziegler
DE Pannel Egboh
DE Khalif Mitchell
FS Curtis Taylor
CB (Either Thomas, Lambert, or Word-Daniels. Whichever impresses the team the most)
im gonna laugh when kory sheets gets cut and doesnt even make the practice squad
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
im gonna laugh when kory sheets gets cut and doesnt even make the practice squad

Yeah, I am on the bandwagon. I have always liked Clayton and wouldn't at all be upset if he made the team over Sheets. I just feel like Sheets offers them a different style off the bench.
good post

Nothing really to argue imo. Good work. Cody Wallace was a complete waste imo. Biggest question if will Smith stay healthy and can Bass, and Staley become effective run blockers.
Solid job. I do think that Damon Haurd will make the team and they will keep 4 QB's. I also don't see Joe Toledo making the team, I think that Barry Simms or this kid Jacob Bender that they seem to be high on, will make it over Toledo. Im also going to be watching Alex Boone closely but I am with you on him making the PS. I think Ray McDonald starts the year on the PUP list.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Nothing really to argue imo. Good work. Cody Wallace was a complete waste imo. Biggest question if will Smith stay healthy and can Bass, and Staley become effective run blockers.

Yeah, the Wallace pick was made because Nolan was not a fan of Heitman and there is still a chance that Heitman leaves for a FA deal. Right now Heitman looks great and Wallace is wasting away on the pine.

Really, the camp battles for roster spots are few:

WR: Battle and Ziegler belong in the NFL, but can they beat out the other five guys?

3rd RB: Sheets has the explosive speed but Clayton has been in the league for a few years, kept his nose clean, and worked hard.

OLB: There will be a battle for the last pass rusher spot, unless they keep nine LBs. Jay Moore is an unknown at this point because of his injuries and Brooks has never pushed himself to play at the level of his talent.

OT: The last spot will come down to Joe Toledo, Bender, and maybe Boone if he really shocks the team. Toledo seems to be the better talent of the three.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Solid job. I do think that Damon Haurd will make the team and they will keep 4 QB's. I also don't see Joe Toledo making the team, I think that Barry Simms or this kid Jacob Bender that they seem to be high on, will make it over Toledo. Im also going to be watching Alex Boone closely but I am with you on him making the PS. I think Ray McDonald starts the year on the PUP list.

I think Huard is a guy that if he gets cut, he will still be there in the middle of the season like Jaime Martin last year. 4 QBs is just too much, especially when we have quality WRs that are going to be cut as it is. No position is deep enough to sacrifice a guy for the 4th QB.

Yeah, Bender has impressed the team, but Toledo was a highly regarded player before injuries. If he is 100% healthy he could be a great addition.

Also, Barry Sims was simply God awful last year. He has no right being on the field.
[ Edited by Karma on May 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM ]
I think rossum will make the team too...

My bad, I didn't see that you put him under CB's :)
[ Edited by kpoe1175 on May 20, 2009 at 10:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone