LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 191 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Personally, I am starting to wish Alex was just gone and we keep Huard. Unless they are throwing SERIOUS smokescreens. he doesn;t seem to have the arm anymore (a la Tim Couch)...and his recent comments about teammates not being at OTA's rubbed me the wrong way. I wish we would have traded him back when it could still be said that Nolan was misusing him...we're running the of allowing him to play himself into a completely worthless player this pre-season. If he looks like he did last year, he's done.

Remember, the last time he was even remotely healthy was week 3 of 2007. I don't think we can say what his arm strength is at this point and his comments were his attempt to put the "nice guy" routine to rest. Let's see him play a game before we close the book on him.

Here's my problem with Alex...as much as I do unerstand he has had a lot of adversity...he also has NEVER looked good. At his best, he was still average or below. I'm not one of those people that try to say we shouldnt have gotten him...i was all for teh pick at teh time. But as a fan, I'm started to grow tired of the excuses everybody gives him. Talent wise he is on par with David Carr and odds are his future in the league will be similar.
sorry but Hudson wont make the team over Taylor, who might push Goldson for starting FS spot.

I also doubt Toledo makes it over Bender or Boone.

Other than that good looking.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Looks pretty solid to me. I do not quite understand the "need" for the monster NT. The only NTs I think are notable are Haynesworth and Jenkins from the Jets. The Jets didn't even make the playoffs, and the Titans lost the first game in the playoffs. Arizona, Pitt, Eagles, and Baltimore (the four conference championship teams) do not have "monster" defensive tackles, but they all seemed to do all right...

Haynesworth was a UT in a 4-3
Jenkins is a good NT that can't do it all
Eagles are a 4-3
Arizona had a lot of success with implementing Dockett into their hybrid 3-4
Baltimore has DE/NT Ngata... a very good player, as well as Kelly Greg
Pittsburgh has Casey Hampton... that should be enough said right there

( really sorry, I'm not gonna unintentionally highjack your thread here, OP )

Quote:
In this installment, we’re going to take a look at the most important position on any 3-4 defense; the nose tackle. The nose tackle is the central figure in any 3-4 defense, and is one of the most difficult positions to find. There just aren’t many athletes that have the unique characteristics needed to play nose tackle.

http://steelerstoday.com/?tag=bj-raji

Quote:
And on top of that, not only is his position the most vital one to a 3-4 defense scheme's success, but most NFL executives and scouts admit nose tackle is the single hardest football position to find and develop. "It's a hard position to find. A really hard position to find in any draft. Those guys are unique because you've got to want to take on double teams," Sparano said. "You've got to be strong enough to do those kinds of things." Miami Dolphins drafts through the years Photos That's why acquiring Ferguson, who contributed 27 tackles last season, was one of the first thing Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells did when he joined the team. He traded away this year's sixth-round pick, and swapping fifth rounders last year with Dallas to get the big man Parcells initially drafted with the Jets back in 1997, and brought with him to the Cowboys. "Ferguson has been a good player in this league for a long time, and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves to be honest with you," Sparano said. "I was in Dallas when he got hurt (in 2007) and the hole that was left there was tremendous. Now, to have him for a whole year in Miami, and to have him for 17 games, you see his value. To replace him, or find guys to replace [nose tackles] is a hard job to do."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-0221dolphins-tackle,0,1245622.story

Quote:
Joe Collier, architect of the Denver Broncos' famed Orange Crush defense and father of current Chiefs assistant coach Joel Collier, calls the nose tackle the "single most important guy" in a 3-4 scheme. Bill Belichick often credits Collier with being the one who first showed him the 3-4 defense. The same Belichick that worked with Scott Pioli in New England for 8 years. Presumably, Pioli learned the ins and outs of 3-4 personnel from and with Belichick. That said, Pioli (via Collier and Belichick) understands the importance of the nose tackle in a 3-4. Like the man who helped build the Orange Crush defense said, first you find the nose tackle, then you fill in the gaps.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/2/25/770746/chiefs-seeking-3-4-nose-ta

Quote:
1) a 3-4 just doesn't work uness you have a star quality NT. (In theory, a team can have two star quality DEs instead. But this really hasn't translated to the field in the NFL). 2) From a draft and FA perspective, LBs are easier to obtain than DLmen. NTs are very rare finds. If the Broncos move to a 3-4, they will have to bring in a substantial presence at the NT position. The NT becomes something of a quarterback for the defense; none of the other positions matter if you don't have a superior player at this position.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/22/729969/mhr-university-nose-tackle

Quote:
"The 3-4 is tough to play because, first of all, you've got to have a great nose tackle," said Mitchell, the Steelers' assistant head coach who has coached the unit since 1994. "Then you've got to have two ends that will play good technique and let the outside linebackers and the inside linebackers be the featured guys in the defense." "What my guys have over a lot of guys in the 3-4 is we're better technicians," Mitchell said. "In - LeBeau's scheme, the front has to play well for everybody else to play well." "But in the 3-4 you've got to start with a great nose tackle. If you've got a guy that can't control the nose you're going to have a tough time playing the 3-4."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38512934.html
I cannot believe the no-love you guys are giving Arnaz! I am still trying to find out what Hill did for us yet or what have he shown to be on the team and leave Battle off. I am just saying...Battle is more an asset not only on offense (where he is a solid WR and a good gadget guy), but he is a good ST guy as well. What in the F(#* did Hill did/do? And I don't want to hear anything about potential, because we thought of that in plenty of wide outs in the past....like Lloyd.

PD
Originally posted by Karma:
Personally, I am starting to wish Alex was just gone and we keep Huard. Unless they are throwing SERIOUS smokescreens. he doesn;t seem to have the arm anymore (a la Tim Couch)...and his recent comments about teammates not being at OTA's rubbed me the wrong way. I wish we would have traded him back when it could still be said that Nolan was misusing him...we're running the of allowing him to play himself into a completely worthless player this pre-season. If he looks like he did last year, he's done.

Remember, the last time he was even remotely healthy was week 3 of 2007. I don't think we can say what his arm strength is at this point and his comments were his attempt to put the "nice guy" routine to rest. Let's see him play a game before we close the book on him.

Here's my problem with Alex...as much as I do unerstand he has had a lot of adversity...he also has NEVER looked good. At his best, he was still average or below. I'm not one of those people that try to say we shouldnt have gotten him...i was all for teh pick at teh time. But as a fan, I'm started to grow tired of the excuses everybody gives him. Talent wise he is on par with David Carr and odds are his future in the league will be similar.

Unfortunately, the David Carr comparisons are probably apt. The problem I see with everyone complaining is that the door is far from shut for him. The "excuses" as you call them are simply cracks through which his talent could still shine. He is 25, has been injured for the last two years, has had a new offensive coordinator every year in the league, and so on. Those factors don't mena that Smith is going to be a superstar, but they leave the possibility that he could turn a corner if those things change. I am not saying that he is going to ever going to reach the "#1 pick status" that was heaped on him, but the contract change reflects an orginizational shift in their viewpoint. They are now looking at him as a back-up that could win games for them if called upon. Anymore than that would just be a pleasant suprise at this point.
Originally posted by GeecheeNiner:
I cannot believe the no-love you guys are giving Arnaz! I am still trying to find out what Hill did for us yet or what have he shown to be on the team and leave Battle off. I am just saying...Battle is more an asset not only on offense (where he is a solid WR and a good gadget guy), but he is a good ST guy as well. What in the F(#* did Hill did/do? And I don't want to hear anything about potential, because we thought of that in plenty of wide outs in the past....like Lloyd.

PD

Watch the Arizona Game. Then ask yourself whos younger and who had a better year last year. Add that to the "potential" and you have your answer.

PD

I hear you and I have always been a huge fan of Battle's. In fact, I am hoping that he beats out Brandon Jones for the last spot. Jason Hill might not have produced as much as Battle, but he showed flashes last year that could translate into a MUCH better career for him long term. I know, you don't want to hear about potential, but teams have to take a chance that a guy is going to build on improvements shown. We know what we are going to get from Battle every year. I would rather trade a low known quantity for a potential for double or triple the work.
  • GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by natrone06:

PD

Watch the Arizona Game. Then ask yourself whos younger and who had a better year last year. Add that to the "potential" and you have your answer.

Which game are we speaking about? We played them twice...

PD
Originally posted by natrone06:

PD

Which game are we speaking about? We played them twice...

PD

2nd
- I don't see Huard getting cut...he's a proven vet who can do the job when he gets the chance to play. It's possible we'll keep 4 QB's...or, Alex could get cut. Not trying to be pessimistic on him...but I'm just wondering if he's got "it".

- Agree on the RB's. We need some speed at the position, so I'm hoping Sheets is the guy to provide it. Clayton...he could surprise...I've heard he's stronger and faster, so we'll see. May the best man win.

- TE. Yep, this is a no-brainer.

- Agree on the WR's. Understand Battle has plenty of fans...but the position is so deep now, things have really changed. His best chance would be as KR...but, I think he'll have a hard time beating out Rossum.

- OL...not sure about either Wallace or Toledo. We have Wragge and Baas who can play C if need be...I'm really hoping Boone gets his act together, because he could develop into a beast at RT. It'd be nice to find another Snyder...someone who could play OG or OT. Bender could be a wild card.

- DL. Evans, Sopoaga/Franklin, J. SMith are starters. I don't know if Sopoaga can beat out Franklin...I hope he can, but I've been hoping he'd bust out for years now and he still hasn't. NT must be a top priority next season. I was happy when we got Jean-Francois, because I really don't feel McDonald will be ready to go. Watch KB...he could really emerge this year.

- LB. Agree. Brooks is the guy to watch...if Singletary can get him to play up to his potential, we may really have something. Harris will be a very nice addition.

- If Harris' injury is serious, it could give Hudson a chance to stay. If not, I think he's gone and Taylor takes his spot. Curtis would be in danger of getting plucked from the PS...he's raw, but talented, and reportedly a tiger on ST's. Could well be our new "killa".

PD

1. You dont cut a 3rd round receiver who steadily improved each time he has seen the field when he is about to enter his 3rd year.

2. Arnaz Battle is an expendable receiver who is not only going to be 30 next year, but when he does make the team as the 4th or 5th WR he will be making around 3 million on the season.

3. Stop getting emotionally attached to mediocre players, its gay.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Looks pretty solid to me. I do not quite understand the "need" for the monster NT. The only NTs I think are notable are Haynesworth and Jenkins from the Jets. The Jets didn't even make the playoffs, and the Titans lost the first game in the playoffs. Arizona, Pitt, Eagles, and Baltimore (the four conference championship teams) do not have "monster" defensive tackles, but they all seemed to do all right...

Haynesworth was a UT in a 4-3
Jenkins is a good NT that can't do it all
Eagles are a 4-3
Arizona had a lot of success with implementing Dockett into their hybrid 3-4
Baltimore has DE/NT Ngata... a very good player, as well as Kelly Greg
Pittsburgh has Casey Hampton... that should be enough said right there

( really sorry, I'm not gonna unintentionally highjack your thread here, OP )

Quote:
In this installment, we’re going to take a look at the most important position on any 3-4 defense; the nose tackle. The nose tackle is the central figure in any 3-4 defense, and is one of the most difficult positions to find. There just aren’t many athletes that have the unique characteristics needed to play nose tackle.

http://steelerstoday.com/?tag=bj-raji

Quote:
And on top of that, not only is his position the most vital one to a 3-4 defense scheme's success, but most NFL executives and scouts admit nose tackle is the single hardest football position to find and develop. "It's a hard position to find. A really hard position to find in any draft. Those guys are unique because you've got to want to take on double teams," Sparano said. "You've got to be strong enough to do those kinds of things." Miami Dolphins drafts through the years Photos That's why acquiring Ferguson, who contributed 27 tackles last season, was one of the first thing Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells did when he joined the team. He traded away this year's sixth-round pick, and swapping fifth rounders last year with Dallas to get the big man Parcells initially drafted with the Jets back in 1997, and brought with him to the Cowboys. "Ferguson has been a good player in this league for a long time, and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves to be honest with you," Sparano said. "I was in Dallas when he got hurt (in 2007) and the hole that was left there was tremendous. Now, to have him for a whole year in Miami, and to have him for 17 games, you see his value. To replace him, or find guys to replace [nose tackles] is a hard job to do."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-0221dolphins-tackle,0,1245622.story

Quote:
Joe Collier, architect of the Denver Broncos' famed Orange Crush defense and father of current Chiefs assistant coach Joel Collier, calls the nose tackle the "single most important guy" in a 3-4 scheme. Bill Belichick often credits Collier with being the one who first showed him the 3-4 defense. The same Belichick that worked with Scott Pioli in New England for 8 years. Presumably, Pioli learned the ins and outs of 3-4 personnel from and with Belichick. That said, Pioli (via Collier and Belichick) understands the importance of the nose tackle in a 3-4. Like the man who helped build the Orange Crush defense said, first you find the nose tackle, then you fill in the gaps.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/2/25/770746/chiefs-seeking-3-4-nose-ta

Quote:
1) a 3-4 just doesn't work uness you have a star quality NT. (In theory, a team can have two star quality DEs instead. But this really hasn't translated to the field in the NFL). 2) From a draft and FA perspective, LBs are easier to obtain than DLmen. NTs are very rare finds. If the Broncos move to a 3-4, they will have to bring in a substantial presence at the NT position. The NT becomes something of a quarterback for the defense; none of the other positions matter if you don't have a superior player at this position.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/22/729969/mhr-university-nose-tackle

Quote:
"The 3-4 is tough to play because, first of all, you've got to have a great nose tackle," said Mitchell, the Steelers' assistant head coach who has coached the unit since 1994. "Then you've got to have two ends that will play good technique and let the outside linebackers and the inside linebackers be the featured guys in the defense." "What my guys have over a lot of guys in the 3-4 is we're better technicians," Mitchell said. "In - LeBeau's scheme, the front has to play well for everybody else to play well." "But in the 3-4 you've got to start with a great nose tackle. If you've got a guy that can't control the nose you're going to have a tough time playing the 3-4."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38512934.html

Statistically our defense is strongest up the middle and weakest on the edges:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/2/14/759072/statistical-review-of-the
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/01/closer-look-at-49ers-run-defense-of-08.html

Franklin may not be an all star like the players you mentioned above, but he is not the weak link of our front seven. That would be our DE's and OLBs. Sopoaga is below average, Smith and Haralson can generate pressure but are too small to stop the run and Lawson is solid against the run but can't rush the passer.

More problems would be solved by finding an upgrade at DE for Sopoaga than by replacing Franklin. Especially when your suggesting having Sopoaga replace Franklin. His entire career is based on his amazing ability to have one absolutely dominant play after getting dominated for the previous ten plays. I'm not being sarcastic, he has made some of the most amazing plays ever by a 3-4 DE, but he gets manhandled 90% of the time.
  • GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

PD

1. You dont cut a 3rd round receiver who steadily improved each time he has seen the field when he is about to enter his 3rd year.

2. Arnaz Battle is an expendable receiver who is not only going to be 30 next year, but when he does make the team as the 4th or 5th WR he will be making around 3 million on the season.

3. Stop getting emotionally attached to mediocre players, its gay.

Nobody is getting attached, and chill with the gay stuff. This is all about football dont take this to a level where it doesn't need to go. Now back to the facts. You can cut someone who is not producing on the field. Battle has been doing his thing ever since 05' All I am saying is that you have to keep the one that produces. And by far thats Battle...

PD
I like the prediction, however call me bias, but i would rather jones come off the bench i mean we already have unproven players on our squad, and i'd like to see what they bring to the table. I mean with hill, zeigler, crabtree. we'd be good. I look at him as a lower level DJack, and our main bonehead move of free agency.
  • PainTrain
  • Info N/A
My opinion until I see some training camp and preseason work, is that Nate Davis and Kory Sheets will be on the Practice Squad. Huard will be the 3rd QB. RJF is dependent on McDonald's health. He too might end up on the PS. I also don't think Ahmad Brooks makes the team either. Everyone says he has the size and potential, but doesn't want to use it. Why wasted a roster spot on him if he doesn't want it bad enough? We could keep 6 receivers instead because I think Battle is sticking around as well.....
Share 49ersWebzone