LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Super Bowl LVII - First ever Super Bowl to feature two African American Quarterbacks.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Who are you guys pulling for?

I really like the fact that these two QB's have broken the stigma on the QB position. However I think the real matchup in this game will be Philly's D vs that Chiefs offense (if healthy). I think the Eagles can score on that Chiefs Defense, but I'm not sure if they can keep up with the Chiefs offense if those guys are healthy.

I usually root for the NFC team as long as it's not the Cowboys or Rams, The Eagles sort of rubbed our face in it so I'm having a hard time not hoping the Chiefs put them in their place.

Your thoughts on this upcoming Super Bowl?
If the Philly O-line can prevent Chris Jones from wrecking the game, then the Chiefs are screwed. That's pretty much all I'm looking at.
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
If the Philly O-line can prevent Chris Jones from wrecking the game, then the Chiefs are screwed. That's pretty much all I'm looking at.

Kelce Vs Jones is the real match up you are correct.
Couldnt care less that there are 2 black QBs in the Superbowl. I just look at them as 2 QBS who played incredibly well this season and lead their teams to the #1 seeds and the SB. I hate it when people have to bring the race card into it to be honest.

And...these 2 hardly broke the "QB stigma". Doug Williams was MVP of SB 18 which was 34 years ago. One of the greatest SB performances ever.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Couldnt care less that there are 2 black QBs in the Superbowl. I just look at them as 2 QBS who played incredibly well this season and lead their teams to the #1 seeds and the SB. I hate it when people have to bring the race card into it to be honest.

And...these 2 hardly broke the "QB stigma". Doug Williams was MVP of SB 18 which was 34 years ago. One of the greatest SB performances ever.

Who you calling black ?
rooting for the Chefs so all the Eagle fans can stfu
I'm sick of being 2nd/3rd place every year, usually the team we lose to, ends up winning the damn thing!
I want 4th place!!! lol
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Who you calling black ?

If you aren't watching this game, you ain't black
Looking forward to it

Who you calling black ?

I know, I know

people seem to get angry when African Americans are singled out for something great.

I am just pointing out the fact that it was said in the past that this couldn't happen. Doug Williams was not the starter for his team when he won the Super Bowl, he replaced Jay Schroeder in the playoffs. This is a special time to celebrate the journey and obstacles that African Americans had to overcome to get to a moment like this. Imagine all of the young men that had to play a different positions due to the belief systems of other folks.

These two young men QB'ed their teams from start to finish barring a few injuries here and there. They now get to make history when they step on the field for Super
Bowl LVll.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Who you calling black ?

I know, I know

people seem to get angry when African Americans are singled out for something great.

I am just pointing out the fact that it was said in the past that this couldn't happen. Doug Williams was not the starter for his team when he won the Super Bowl, he replaced Jay Schroeder in the playoffs. This is a special time to celebrate the journey and obstacles that African Americans had to overcome to get to a moment like this. Imagine all of the young men that had to play a different positions due to the belief systems of other folks.

These two young men QB'ed their teams from start to finish barring a few injuries here and there. They now get to make history when they step on the field for Super
Bowl LVll.
LOL. I am not angry at all. I just dont think its necessary at this point to be honest. There have been so many accomplishments by African American ( sorry if "Black" offends you) quarterbacks already. Doug Williams and Pat Mahomes have already been SB MVPs and it certainly is irrelevant that Williams wasnt the starter initially. He was the star in the biggest moment on the biggest stage. Russell Wilson could have been the MVP and was the winning QB for a SB title. I guess people want to make it to be a story and thats fine but I think the real break through happened decades earlier when race relations were far worse than they are today.

Do people talk about when the first time 2 African American baseball players were on the field together? No. They talk about the break though that happened when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 1, 2023 at 4:01 PM ]

Eagles should win fairly easily. Teams that run the ball and rush the passer tend to give KC fits.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Eagles should win fairly easily. Teams that run the ball and rush the passer tend to give KC fits.

I think it's gonna be a barnburner.. do ppl still say that? Barnburner?

Mahomes is that good. KC has a high end OL. That KC O vs PHI D battle.. holy smokes that's good. If you watch Pacheco / McKinnon they aren't fooling around. Neither is T Kelce. Reid the way better coach with experience. It's a toss up imo.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I think it's gonna be a barnburner.. do ppl still say that? Barnburner?

Mahomes is that good. KC has a high end OL. That KC O vs PHI D battle.. holy smokes that's good. If you watch Pacheco / McKinnon they aren't fooling around. Neither is T Kelce. Reid the way better coach with experience. It's a toss up imo.
Yep. Which is why Vegas has the game as a 1 or 1.5 point spread. I see this as a very close game
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

49ers 2019
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Who you calling black ?

I know, I know

Bowl LVll.
LOL. I am not angry at all. I just dont think its necessary at this point to be honest. There have been so many accomplishments by African American ( sorry if "Black" offends you) quarterbacks already. Doug Williams and Pat Mahomes have already been SB MVPs and it certainly is irrelevant that Williams wasnt the starter initially. He was the star in the biggest moment on the biggest stage. Russell Wilson could have been the MVP and was the winning QB for a SB title. I guess people want to make it to be a story and thats fine but I think the real break through happened decades earlier when race relations were far worse than they are today.

Do people talk about when the first time 2 African American baseball players were on the field together? No. They talk about the break though that happened when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier.

Umm they did lol, and I'm sure there's other examples from other sports too.

https://andscape.com/features/the-only-mlb-all-star-game-that-featured-two-african-american-starting-pitchers/

There was news paper articles and pictures to commemorate that back then, and this article was written recently.

And ya it is a pretty big deal since the stigma around black QBs has lasted so long.
Share 49ersWebzone