There are 257 users in the forums

POLL: Expand the Playoffs?

Shop 49ers game tickets

POLL: Expand the Playoffs?

Originally posted by DrEll:
Should be only 6. The 9-8 49ers, and 8-8 Saints should not be fighting for a playoff spot. Neither should the Eagles. These are mediocre teams…

Agreed
Originally posted by lamontb:
Should be only 6. The 9-8 49ers, and 8-8 Saints should not be fighting for a playoff spot. Neither should the Eagles. These are mediocre teams…

Agreed

We are 9-7 tho.
I would be fine with 6 if we don't automatically allow division winners to make the playoffs.

I would only use winning your division as the highest tie-breaker.
[ Edited by SlipAndSlideBosa on Jan 3, 2022 at 9:25 AM ]
  • Idris
  • Veteran

even if there were only 6 spots, wouldnt these same teams be fighting for #6?
When you look at the quality of the teams around the 7th seed you know it's one too many
but i pretty sure that they will go to 8 so more teams are involved for the last regular season games that means more fans in front of their TV more playoff games and more money for the league and the owners
I like the current setup. A real reward for winning your conference (bye) as well as a real reward for winning your division (home playoff game). Six wild card games is NFL fan paradise. Once you get into .500 or less teams making it that waters down the playoffs with clown teams. I would possibly change tiebreaker from convoluted mess to straight up point differential. Teams with better differential tend to be better clubs and it gives incentive every game to try at all times. Late scores even in "garbage time" would be more meaningful. I would probably go head to head as first tiebreaker then move to points in multi-team tie or head to head tie.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
(Mods, move to NFL Talk if warranted.)

Discuss...

Shrink the field if anything.
H
Nearly half the teams make it. That means mediocre teams in the playoffs.
I prefer the old format of 6. Here's why
1. Having 7 teams in each conference sets up the potential for some really bad teams getting in now and in the future.
2. I think watching 6 games wildcard weekend is going to be too much. I love football but it seems like it's just too much football too quickly for most fans. Especially if your team isn't one of the teams in the playoffs. More is not always better.
3. The more teams you have, the less commentary and discussions each team is going to get leading up to and after each playoff game. One of the things I love most about my teams going to the playoffs the most is it forces my team into the spotlight and I can watch the commentary on my team all week long. With 6 games the first-week certain teams can potentially get way less focus. I swear if I have to watch one more segment on the Cowboys I am going to kill myself.
4. I prefer two teams getting the first-round bye over just one. I just think there is more for the good teams to play for down the stretch of a season.

For me, the new system of 7 teams has way more negatives than positives.
no, thanks.
I was against the last expansion as well. It's not like, the eighth team in the run is as good as this season. usually these teams are average at best. they don't belong into the playoffs
6. Watering down the playoffs was a mistake.

Go back to the classic alignment...

Originally posted by English:
6. Watering down the playoffs was a mistake.

i like this better this way i like the idea of only the #1 seed getting a bye week makes it more competitive
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Go back to the classic alignment...

Who are the San Diego Jaguars?
Having 7 playoffs spots made for an INCREDIBLE week 18 of football. But I also fear its going to lead to a snoozefest of a Wildcard Weekend.

We will see.
Originally posted by English:
Who are the San Diego Jaguars?

Not a team that will ever exist.

St. Louis Jaguars is the more likely answer
Share 49ersWebzone