POLL: Expand the Playoffs?

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by English:
Who are the San Diego Jaguars?

Not a team that will ever exist.

St. Louis Jaguars is the more likely answer

St. Louis Cards
Arizona Jaguars
No. 7 is already too much as was a 17th game.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
The Eagles look like ass vs TB. They should be vying for a top draft pick not playing in the playoffs. Go back to 6 please with 2 teams getting a bye.
Adding a 7th team added some s**tty teams to the playoffs... Eagles and Steelers don't belong in the post season
Originally posted by mattster03:
Adding a 7th team added some s**tty teams to the playoffs... Eagles and Steelers don't belong in the post season

agreed but i think chargers were a good team and a healthy Seattle (healthy RW) are playoff caliber as well

Yeah the state of PA doing their best to blow up this idea
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

As long as the ratings are good , nfl won't care
The previous format with twelve teams and two byes per conference was nearly perfect, but I'm OK with the new format. Hard no on further expansion.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 17, 2022 at 3:54 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Yes, despite both 7 seeds getting blown out the ratings and $$$ were flowing. Think about how many more teams were in playoff contention for the final weeks of the season and how many millions of dollars that brought in. Goes beyond just who got in at 7.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Yes, despite both 7 seeds getting blown out the ratings and $$$ were flowing. Think about how many more teams were in playoff contention for the final weeks of the season and how many millions of dollars that brought in. Goes beyond just who got in at 7.

i also like only 1 team getting a bye week that way the chances of teams resting starters week 17 is almost 0
[ Edited by ritz126 on Jan 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM ]

I grew up as an NFL fan on the 6 team per conference playoff format. So I am accustomed to that.

That said, I like the 7 team per conference format. If we really bumble the early portion of the season, worse than we did this season, then reaching the 7th spot allows us to recover from slow starts to the season. If we're good enough we will make a Super Bowl run from that spot.
I'd rather take it back to 6 teams and look to compete for another bye. Don't really care, though.

Eagles definitely didn't look like they belonged in the playoffs this year, but it's one team in one year. Obviously could be much different going forward.
s**tty teams again gonna go to the dance this year…looking at you, NFC-S
I felt 7 was too many and thought 6 was the perfect number, but one benefit is that there's only 1 bye and in years where a weaker division winner gets in, you still have 3 wildcard spots. Teams that are in weaker divisions also aren't rewarded with a bye, so I still think 6 is a great number, 7 protects against a few things fans have long complained about.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
s**tty teams again gonna go to the dance this year…looking at you, NFC-S

Only one team. You can't control for that unless you don't want to reward division winners. One, that will never fly and two, there are still 3 wildcard spots.
Share 49ersWebzone