LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 98 users in the forums

Stephon Gilmore, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
You guys realize he went to Carolina and is from Carolina, right? He probably didn't even want to come here.

Yeah but it was a trade not him signing there.
John Lynch FAILS again.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
You guys realize he went to Carolina and is from Carolina, right? He probably didn't even want to come here.

Did you read the above article. He's open to finishing out the final year of his contract then hitting free agency. And so is Carolina. Which means Carolina traded for him to WIN now. A team that hasn't done squat in recent memory is making a move because they feel they have a legit shot at being a SB contender this year.

San Francisco, dubbed as SB favorites by some pundits, goes after retreads because our front office 'thinks' we can plug in 3rd stringers as bonified starters and get .
away with it.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
John Lynch FAILS again.

He has probably had more success since he woke up this morning than you have ever had.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
John Lynch FAILS again.

He has probably had more success since he woke up this morning than you have ever had.

Ok tough guy
Lol wait, I thought he was going to the bucs, Rams, etc because they don't care about no damn cap!!! I guess maybe they don't have 2023 6th rounders?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Clearly CBs are a priority when we value them so much you're correct. I mean our top CB is a UDFA and our others are a 3rd round project player. A 5th round pick and some old dudes past their prime. As far a Verrett lots of people expected him gone after last year. People were shocked he even came back for as cheap as he did this year. But yeah it's stupid to think we don't value the CB position.

So true
Originally posted by Rathof44:
C'mon you know better than that. They weren't going after him......Kirkpatrick, Johnson, and Skrine....we are f**king solid at CB.

f**king this!!!!
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
John Lynch FAILS again.

Ok tough guy

I know right? Seriously Blue you need to quit it with that crap. It's an obvious FAIL of Lynch to not address the corner position when we knew Jason Verrett is a walking injury waiting to happen. I wanted Hayward or another good free agent corner but of course Lynch failed at that and now our corner position is among the worst in the league. I guess you like defensive pass interference calls all day and getting burned by receivers. Not me.
How tf did we not trade for him -_-

• dj43
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

We could pay a washed up uncle sherm 12.9 million but refused to pay a 31 year old who won dpoy in 2019 15?

Different cap situations entirely.

We can restructure and cut dead weight. Cap is going up over the next few years. Lack of cap room is an excuse that can be worked. The issue is that this team would rather start soon to be 34 year old Josh Norman and a udfa while having D.Johnson as a backup then actually upgrade the position.

Never said I'm in love with our CB situation. Should have grabbed Hayward late in the offseason. But none the less, Gilmore would have been fine for a 1 year rental for a 6th, but he wants a new contract and I think it would be foolish to offer that to an injury prone 31 year old player.

Agreed. Soon as he gets hurt the same ppl will be complaining that we signed an aging vet with injury history

For $5.8 Million this season I'll take that chance instead of seeing D.Johnson out there again.

We don't have $5.9M this year. We only have $4.2M and that has to last the rest of the season for every other player that will have to be signed just to keep a full roster.
In before 9moon says we could've traded Dontae Johnson and a 7th
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

We could pay a washed up uncle sherm 12.9 million but refused to pay a 31 year old who won dpoy in 2019 15?

We can restructure and cut dead weight. Cap is going up over the next few years. Lack of cap room is an excuse that can be worked. The issue is that this team would rather start soon to be 34 year old Josh Norman and a udfa while having D.Johnson as a backup then actually upgrade the position.

Never said I'm in love with our CB situation. Should have grabbed Hayward late in the offseason. But none the less, Gilmore would have been fine for a 1 year rental for a 6th, but he wants a new contract and I think it would be foolish to offer that to an injury prone 31 year old player.

Agreed. Soon as he gets hurt the same ppl will be complaining that we signed an aging vet with injury history

For $5.8 Million this season I'll take that chance instead of seeing D.Johnson out there again.

We don't have $5.9M this year. We only have $4.2M and that has to last the rest of the season for every other player that will have to be signed just to keep a full roster.

We have 2 CB's we signed this season that can be cut for over $1.6 million in cap savings. Cannon who should already be gone is another 800k. There are things we could do to to manipulate the salary cap and free up the money to have had Gillmore and the cap space to sign backups.
Originally posted by Zachary:
In before 9moon says we could've traded Dontae Johnson and a 7th

Lol! or trade Deeva

I'm sure between Skrine, Johnson, Kirpatrick, and Norman, we have 4 s**tty CBs being paid more than the $5.8 million Gilmore got.. Oh well nothing to do about it now.
Share 49ersWebzone