There are 172 users in the forums

Stephon Gilmore, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
So we going the rest of the season with 49 players or what lol. Cut all the CBs on the roster to fit a guy who can't even play cus of injury!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

We could pay a washed up uncle sherm 12.9 million but refused to pay a 31 year old who won dpoy in 2019 15?

Different cap situations entirely.

We can restructure and cut dead weight. Cap is going up over the next few years. Lack of cap room is an excuse that can be worked. The issue is that this team would rather start soon to be 34 year old Josh Norman and a udfa while having D.Johnson as a backup then actually upgrade the position.

Never said I'm in love with our CB situation. Should have grabbed Hayward late in the offseason. But none the less, Gilmore would have been fine for a 1 year rental for a 6th, but he wants a new contract and I think it would be foolish to offer that to an injury prone 31 year old player.

Agreed. Soon as he gets hurt the same ppl will be complaining that we signed an aging vet with injury history

For $5.8 Million this season I'll take that chance instead of seeing D.Johnson out there again.

I'm sure between Skrine, Johnson, Kirpatrick, and Norman, we have 4 s**tty CBs being paid more than the $5.8 million Gilmore got.. Oh well nothing to do about it now.
Cut all those guys and Cannon, and we save $4.3M to sign a guy who may be able to play for another 3-4 weeks, according to reports. In the meantime, we have no backups at all and no money to sign any others to take the place of other losses at other positions.

I don't like the position we are in but the decision to not sign Gilmore is not one I can criticize very hard.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 7, 2021 at 10:34 AM ]
We have 2 CB's we signed this season that can be cut for over $1.6 million in cap savings. Cannon who should already be gone is another 800k. There are things we could do to to manipulate the salary cap and free up the money to have had Gillmore and the cap space to sign backups.

This. Bigtime failure. I can't wait to see our average cbs getting burned and committing pass interference penalty after pass interference penalty. Also, before people start praising Moseley for having an above average game, realize he is our CB1. Also, consider playing against Hopkins, Krupp, Woods, DK and Lockette, Adams, Evans Godwin and Brown and that's just Let that sink in. That's just a few in the NFC only. Let that sink in
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 6, 2021 at 9:12 PM ]
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Originally posted by Zachary:
In before 9moon says we could've traded Dontae Johnson and a 7th

Lol! or trade Deeva
Originally posted by elguapo:
We have 2 CB's we signed this season that can be cut for over $1.6 million in cap savings. Cannon who should already be gone is another 800k. There are things we could do to to manipulate the salary cap and free up the money to have had Gillmore and the cap space to sign backups.

This. Bigtime failure. I can't wait to see our average cbs getting burned and committing pass interference penalty after pass interference penalty. Also, before people start praising Moseley for having an above average game, realize he is our CB1. Also, consider playing against Hopkins, Krupp, Woods, DK and Lockette, Adams, Evans Godwin and Brown and that's just Let that sink in. That's just a few in the NFC only. Let that sink in

Do we not have sufficient injured players?
Originally posted by English:

Do we not have sufficient injured players?

You do realize people come back from injury right? He will be back in a few weeks and if not we certainly would need him next year and going forward. Unless of course you're happy with our corners who are among the worst in the league. Moseley and Norman? Hardly enough to stop any good wrs. Corner is among the weakest position group on this roster besides right guard. Or we could just keep drafting corners and hope it all works out
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 8, 2021 at 1:10 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
nvm.
[ Edited by jcs on Oct 8, 2021 at 1:44 PM ]
A 6th round pick This entire division has a loaded aerial assault and all we can do is sign Josh Norman after injury prone Verrett goes down week 1.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Since07:
A 6th round pick This entire division has a loaded aerial assault and all we can do is sign Josh Norman after injury prone Verrett goes down week 1.

I know right. But but but the DPOY in 2019 is 31 and will cost a lot of money. Well that's what usually happens with great players. He's still very good and doesn't have a ACL or Achilles injury so he will be back but not for our team. I guess let the PIs keep coming while we play wrs that determine games vs our defense.
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 11, 2021 at 1:58 PM ]

• jcs
  • Veteran
Had an INT last weekend for Carolina, in the 4th quarter no less.
Had an INT last weekend for Carolina, in the 4th quarter no less.

But but but he's old and expensive
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
But but but he's old and expensive

A non-playoff team (with no QB) trades for a really good, but older player that they may have to franchise to keep.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

all i know is that Gilmore really wanted to play for Carolina, that's basically where he's from and went to school. idk how much that influenced that trade...it's hard to believe that the market for him was only a 6th round pick.

there's no way some of these contending teams wouldn't have offered more than just that, even if he was just a rental.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
His second game for Carolina and he gets his 2nd INT....on this team he would already be the season leader....
Share 49ersWebzone