LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 379 users in the forums

2021 QB Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by philgardis49:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
If a postgame press conference is anything to go by looks like Rodgers is potentially on the move too. I don't mind Jimmy but if Watson, Stafford, Wilson or potentially Rodgers aren't in red and gold next season this offseason is an epic fail

Shanalynch should be on the phone with Green Bay, Detroit and Houston to see what it would cost to get one of them so we up our chances of getting at least one of them.

Completely agree. The fact that the 49ers are a legit playoff contender, it has to pique the interest of Stafford and Rodgers at the very least. With Watson, I can't tell where he "wants" to go, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Carolina.

Deshaun Watson - (at least) 3 1st round picks AND he would want to come to SF; makes somewhat sense since we are in the NFC and are a legitimate playoff team

Matthew Stafford - 1 1st round pick; as someone else had said, I think 2 2nd rounds could do it; since it's a mutual parting of ways, I think you can haggle down to that.

Aaron Rodgers - honestly, though I've heard about the possibility of a trade for him, I never thought it could/would be possible; if Watson requires 3 1st round picks, I gotta believe Rodgers is around there as well.
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:
If a postgame press conference is anything to go by looks like Rodgers is potentially on the move too. I don't mind Jimmy but if Watson, Stafford, Wilson or potentially Rodgers aren't in red and gold next season this offseason is an epic fail

Shanalynch should be on the phone with Green Bay, Detroit and Houston to see what it would cost to get one of them so we up our chances of getting at least one of them.

Completely agree. The fact that the 49ers are a legit playoff contender, it has to pique the interest of Stafford and Rodgers at the very least. With Watson, I can't tell where he "wants" to go, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Carolina.

Deshaun Watson - (at least) 3 1st round picks AND he would want to come to SF; makes somewhat sense since we are in the NFC and are a legitimate playoff team

Matthew Stafford - 1 1st round pick; as someone else had said, I think 2 2nd rounds could do it; since it's a mutual parting of ways, I think you can haggle down to that.

Aaron Rodgers - honestly, though I've heard about the possibility of a trade for him, I never thought it could/would be possible; if Watson requires 3 1st round picks, I gotta believe Rodgers is around there as well.

Doesn't add up. Rodgers is near the end of his career.

Stafford seems more realistic. if we could do it for two 2nds, I'm in. But that contract has to come down.
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:

As much as I love Rodgers no way in hell I'm giving up 3 1sts or close to that for a 37 year old or so qb.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Why would Rodgers come here if he doesn't like LaFleur? Isn't LaFleur and Shanahan good buddies?

He'd have to be really home sick for the Bay Area I guess.

Well who says LaFleur would want to trade Rodgers to the 9ers.. Kyle hated on LaFleur getting his brother from our team.

We'll see. I think they would make it happen though if Rodgers wants a trade.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 24, 2021 at 7:21 PM ]
Watson---too expensive
Rodgers--too old

Stafford should be our 1st option.
We need another 1st option
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Watson---too expensive
Rodgers--too old

Stafford should be our 1st option.
We need another 1st option. The carousel is starting to spin faster.
So after the Stafford trade how many 1st round picks is Watson worth? 5?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

2 first
2 seconds
2 defensive young starters
two 1st
One second
One third
And Garapolo
And Armstead

Watson
4th
Originally posted by proniner1:

2 first
2 seconds
2 defensive young starters

Deal

Give them AA and Ward

I'm fully expecting to hear about Wentz being traded to Indy any day now. They have his former OC and his QB coach from Philly, they have no QB and aren't in great position to draft one. Wentz would be a perfect reclamation project to play under the guy he had the most success with.
  • All22
  • Veteran

Stafford went for 2 first's because the Lions were taking on Goff's last two years. The Texans don't have to take on Jimmy's contract.
[ Edited by All22 on Jan 31, 2021 at 2:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm fully expecting to hear about Wentz being traded to Indy any day now. They have his former OC and his QB coach from Philly, they have no QB and aren't in great position to draft one. Wentz would be a perfect reclamation project to play under the guy he had the most success with.

Me too. After Detroit took on Goff's massive contract, I think Indy and Philly should be able to work something out considering that Indy has over $60 million of cap space.

I'm also curious about the quarterback situation in Las Vegas. Derek Carr is still under contract for 2 more years, Mariota one more year. Gruden has never struck me as the biggest Derek Carr fan and this might be a good time as any to unload him for draft picks. We'll see.
[ Edited by TWD_Fan on Jan 31, 2021 at 4:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Atlanta would take a massive cap hit if they were to move on from Ryan this season. The new HC is stuck with him next season.

They could avoid a lot of it.

The Falcons have the option to designate Ryan as a post-June 1 releaseIf the Falcons were to cut or trade Ryan after June 1, they would stop future dead money hitting the 2021 salary cap. In the event of him being released with a post-June 1 designation, Ryan would carry a cap hit of $23.4 million in 2021, saving $17.5 million. The remaining $26.5 million in dead money would then be counted against the cap in 2022. This spreads the pain into a season where the salary cap is expected to be higher than currently projected for 2021.

If the Falcons were to trade Ryan as a post-June 1 transaction, then they would incur just $17.9 million in dead money. Ryan's $5.5 million in guaranteed base salary would move with him to the new team. The team acquiring him would be responsible for a cap number of just $23 million in 2021. In 2022, that number would be $23.75 million and $28 million in 2023. Depending on the price the Falcons would ask for in a trade, that would be a team-friendly deal on which to acquire a former MVP.

The issue for the Falcons is that this method does not solve their immediate needs. They need to be under the NFL salary cap before the new league year in March. They would still need to create $35 million in cap space before then. Trading or releasing Ryan as a post-June 1 transaction would essentially mean the Falcons are committing to a rebuild of their roster.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/matt-ryan-contract-breakdown-salary-bonuses/
Originally posted by TWD_Fan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Me too. After Detroit took on Goff's massive contract, I think Indy and Philly should be able to work something out considering that Indy has over $60 million of cap space.

I'm also curious about the quarterback situation in Las Vegas. Derek Carr is still under contract for 2 more years, Mariota one more year. Gruden has never struck me as the biggest Derek Carr fan and this might be a good time as any to unload him for draft picks. We'll see.

Mariota is mobile like almost everyone on here wants. Carr has ability to pass down the field. Carr for 2nd rd pick after trade down and acquiring 2nd rd pick. Trade JG for 3rd and pickup some cap casualties on 1 yr deals
[ Edited by danielrod1008 on Jan 31, 2021 at 6:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone