LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Will the 2020 NFL season be canceled due to COVID19?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Will the 2020 NFL season be canceled due to COVID19?

This is the 2020-21 NFL season cancellation speculation poll.

I think the season will be canceled unless there is a vaccine. Without a vaccine, the virus will remain a threat to re-emerge. A packed NFL stadium is too much of a vector for viral spread, so in person attendance would not be allowed. Teams could theoretically play for a TV audience but viability would remain a question:
What about player to player spread on the field?
Will the game have the same feel without fans in the stadium?

At this point I think the season gets canceled. Let's hope for a "Hail Mary" in the form of an earlier than expected vaccine or some petering out of the virus.
[ Edited by CardinalGold on Mar 30, 2020 at 9:43 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, this thing is going to last months not days.
NFL season is toast. No NFL this year. It would just be Mahomes win again anyway. But I guess we avoid that for 1 year. An off year.
Yes. Gutted but it looks that way.
No way. They'll play games without fans or delay/shorten the season before they allow themselves to lose that sweet sweet money
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
No way. They'll play games without fans or delay/shorten the season before they allow themselves to lose that sweet sweet money

In 4 months, we're still going to be home bound, wearing masks and doing social distancing. No way they're playing this year under these circumstances.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 31, 2020 at 12:55 AM ]

They could easily play games without fans, but social distancing might be tricky on the field! One player dies of Coronavirus after playing a few games and the the NFL gets sued into oblivion. Plus the travel would be extremely difficult.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

They could easily play games without fans, but social distancing might be tricky on the field! One player dies of Coronavirus after playing a few games and the the NFL gets sued into oblivion. Plus the travel would be extremely difficult.

They tried that with Rugby League in Australia and it was just horrible to watch the games on TV without the football fields full of fans. They got two weeks into the season and it got canned. Might start up late in the year but we are going into our winter in two months so that is when they say the virus will become worse. All codes of football in Australia are cancelled for the winter.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Again in Australia all of our states have closed their borders. Our Rugby League is played in three stated plus New Zealand. The travel was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. The New Zealand Warriors had to choose whether to stay in Australia all year and not return to NZ or go home to be with family and give up the season for their team. New Zealand is a two and half hour flight from Sydney but now both countries are quarantining anyone arriving from outside their respective countries for 14 days. Same with interstate travel. Everything comes to a grinding halt.

My bet is the only way opposing teams will play each other is after October if the virus has been contained and there are hardly any but isolated cases left. Somehow I dont see the US organised enough or disciplined enough to do this. I hope I am prove wrong.

The teams might only be able to play each other on Madden
Like many out there I'm a sports fanatic. When the shutdown of sports and society came the question was how would I react. It doesn't really matter at this point. How bad will this get, you can go by projections or disaster movies and make a guess. The only guideline we have is the 1917 Spanish flu where an estimated 675,000 Americans died. Chances are we won't come close to those figures, So the loss of an NFL season means very little.

Lol the season isn't getting canceled
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Well, if serious inroads are not made into the virus very quickly, you can be absolutely certain that it will be. All other sport, organised activity and recreation is at a standstill. Why do you think the NFL is any different?
The only hope is that summer really f**ks up this virus. If there is an NFlL season, it won't start until oct/nov. And it will be a 10 or 12 game season
I don't see any way it isn't at least delayed or shortened. Since schedules are not that easy to make I'm thinking delayed is more likely than shortened. We aren't that far away from the short camps and the July camps are certainly in jeopardy. Players won't have enough time to get together and get in shape by Sept.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Well, if serious inroads are not made into the virus very quickly, you can be absolutely certain that it will be. All other sport, organised activity and recreation is at a standstill. Why do you think the NFL is any different?
I mean, yeah, this is true, but every other sport is planning on resuming. MLB is tentatively scheduled to come back underway in July/August. The NBA is also seemingly optimistic and fully-committed to having a playoffs this year.

Look at China: they're at the point where they're reopening stores and reopening amusements parks. So they're at what, 5 months from the November outbreak?

The latest modeling I saw is that the US epidemic is projected to tail off in June, and by early July there are going to be less than 10 deaths a day from this. It's totally possible that there could be a reemerging of this after summer, but that seems like complete speculation.

I think worst-case scenario they play a shortened season with no fans in attendance.
Share 49ersWebzone