LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 361 users in the forums

Will the 2020 NFL season be canceled due to COVID19?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Will the 2020 NFL season be canceled due to COVID19?

• Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Who-is-Hayne:
Originally posted by mayo49:
In 4 months, we're still going to be home bound, wearing masks and doing social distancing. No way they're playing this year under these circumstances.
I agree
This bug is not going to go away. The purpose of this social distancing is to reduce the number of patients at any one time to prevent overloading health systems, not make the virus disappear.
4 months may be very very optimistic, but unless they find effective treatments in that time, it is probably very very unrealistic

They haven't done it in the US yet but in Australia all the states have shut their borders and anyone who wished to cross is quarantined for 14 days and if clear of the virus are then released. It was the big thing that threw a spanner in the works of all codes of Australian football because the codes are played over more then one state.

It is on the cards that some or even many of the US states do the same thing if the virus infects more people, or more likely when it does.

How could the NFL run if even five states that had games being played in states had such quarantines in the state?

It is highly unlikely they will have a vaccine by August and may not even have an effective cure drug available in sufficient numbers by then.

I have a bad feeling we will be talking about the what ifs for another 16 months before we see some football. Unless they run some sort of short season if it is ok to start in October/November. You also have to take into account if the virus comes back next winter which appears to be best season for the virus to thrive.

I would love to see the football start in August but I an not feeling very confident about it.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
For all of you who actually think the season would be canceled

That's for advertisers.

The reality is, there is no way any sports season will begin on time in early fall.

No way. No way ota's and training camp happen, and the season won't either.

We START getting back to normal if 2 things happen:

1) we find curative treatments for people with significant symptoms;
2) we find a preventive treatment like antibody infusion to reduce severe symptoms and spread rate.

Unless that happens, baseball is toast, football and hoops too.

NFLPA and owners need to sit down and figure out how to suspend contracts this coming year and how everyone will get paid a shadow salary.

100,000 deaths at 1.5% mortality implies 6.7m infected people. That's too many people to reduce social distancing, without drastically reducing the infectious qualities of the virus.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
For all of you who actually think the season would be canceled

That's for advertisers.

The reality is, there is no way any sports season will begin on time in early fall.

No way. No way ota's and training camp happen, and the season won't either.

We START getting back to normal if 2 things happen:

1) we find curative treatments for people with significant symptoms;
2) we find a preventive treatment like antibody infusion to reduce severe symptoms and spread rate.

Unless that happens, baseball is toast, football and hoops too.

NFLPA and owners need to sit down and figure out how to suspend contracts this coming year and how everyone will get paid a shadow salary.

100,000 deaths at 1.5% mortality implies 6.7m infected people. That's too many people to reduce social distancing, without drastically reducing the infectious qualities of the virus.

Pandemics come in waves and the evidence suggests this virus is more potent in winter. If it isn't eradicated in summer it will come back with a vengeance as the weather gets colder. The second waves are often stronger then the first in pandemics.
I believe NFL owners are living in a fantasy world. They're talking about the 2020 NFL season going full steam ahead. Tom Brady keeping his #12 jersey, trades in the pipeline etc. NBA teams playing in safe havens like Siberia or the North Pole (just a joke, or is it?). Pro-Sports owners can't fathom the idea of no revenue. No games in empty venues, just shut it down till next year.........period.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I believe NFL owners are living in a fantasy world. They're talking about the 2020 NFL season going full steam ahead. Tom Brady keeping his #12 jersey, trades in the pipeline etc. NBA teams playing in safe havens like Siberia or the North Pole (just a joke, or is it?). Pro-Sports owners can't fathom the idea of no revenue. No games in empty venues, just shut it down till next year.........period.

Until they get this virus under control - all sports will continue be suspended. This will take months not weeks.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 1, 2020 at 7:37 AM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran

Until they get this virus under control - all sports will continue be suspended. This will take months not weeks.

I hope I am wrong on my pessimistic outlook above.
Originally posted by Goatie:

I very much hope that you are wrong, but I think it is unlikely. Sports are gradually cancelling events, reluctantly and with pain in their voices but they are. The MLB London Series has just been cancelled as has Wimbledon. And I would make one point which will not be very popular. Right now there is no guarantee that 2021 MLB or NFL seasons go ahead. I hope they do but until there is a sign that things are getting better rather than continuing to deteriorate, they can't be taken for granted. These are tough times and people have to accept it.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

I very much hope that you are wrong, but I think it is unlikely. Sports are gradually cancelling events, reluctantly and with pain in their voices but they are. The MLB London Series has just been cancelled as has Wimbledon. And I would make one point which will not be very popular. Right now there is no guarantee that 2021 MLB or NFL seasons go ahead. I hope they do but until there is a sign that things are getting better rather than continuing to deteriorate, they can't be taken for granted. These are tough times and people have to accept it.

As the experts are saying the only way to kill the virus is via vaccine. It is 11-18 months away. Lets hope it is closer to 10 months. I would think it fair to say No Vaccine - No football.

So I think you could well be right that 2021 NFL season could be in doubt. So the WZ will may have 2 years of nothing but speculation, which could lead to other problems. Maybe we might have to quarantine the Zone
As the experts are saying the only way to kill the virus is via vaccine. It is 11-18 months away. Lets hope it is closer to 10 months. I would think it fair to say No Vaccine - No football.

So I think you could well be right that 2021 NFL season could be in doubt. So the WZ will may have 2 years of nothing but speculation, which could lead to other problems. Maybe we might have to quarantine the Zone

Well, time-out's are being renamed Social Distancing.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Well, time-out's are being renamed Social Distancing.

I've already written next season off

I am hopeful that we will find biotech "workarounds" which reduce the infection rate and severity of the virus. Soon, in the next few weeks actually. But, it won't eliminate the need for various precautions, including reducing the number of super spreader events. Like football games.
But my ff drafts doe
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
70% chance of no season
it was reported on KFI 640 (so ca radio) that a second wave is to be expected in the fall
Share 49ersWebzone