There are 231 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
As someone else said...he's a career punt return leader. That's not a position afraid of contact. If he was he'd never be out there on punt returns.

The idea that he's afraid of contact is ridiculous. He doesn't have to be Anquan Boldin out there trucking over defenders to prove he can play.

It is silly season right now. The only reports I trust are from those who have proven to be trustworthy and have a surplus of credibility.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by GMniner805:
I'm assuming you've never played football at any level, just because they don't have pads on yet doesn't mean there is no contact

Go check out your local high school spring football camp
Missed the part of my comment that makes any official judgement just saying it's not looking good so far.

yeah I've played football buzzy. The issue with the "doesn't like contact BS" is just that BS. you're not getting tackled period. There's nothing to be afraid of when you're running in the middle of the field and no one has pads on, you're not gonna get blindsided or get your legs taken out. DB/LBers are going for the ball dats it. Who wants contact with no pads in June anyway. f**king stupid.

Kid is the all-time punt return in the NCAA you aren't scared of getting hit and a punt returner

If there's nothing to be afraid of the fact that he's showing fear going over middle is even more concerning, you just made a point for me

As a football player it's natural to want contact, unless you're a puss. That's why everyone is so pumped to put the pads on to begin with.

Being a punt returner doesn't mean you're not afraid to get hit watch him run, he runs like a terrified deer. You can tell he hates contact, which actually helps him. He's running for his life
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NCommand:
GC at it again. Noting, like Witherspoon last year, Pettis is built like a varsity high school soccer player (but a lot of rookies grow a ton in year 1 like Witherspoon this year, Kittle. DirtyTini, Colbert, Tartt, etc.). Said he's had nice plays the past two weeks but gets outmuscled by the bigger CB's in tighter quarters (i.e. RZ) and "alligator arms" a few slants inside which he said is odd, because there isn't any contact in OTA's.

Something to monitor esp. if validated by other media guys.

On a funny: he claims no way Thomas is 280...said he took a bunch of pictures to prove he's at most, 265. Playing exclusively at LEO at the moment (nothing inside and covered a TE step for step on a go route yesterday).

I think it's ridiculous to question if a WR is scared of contact when there is no contact AND he's the punt return touchdowns career leader...if you're scared of contact you're NOT returning punts lol.

Dude is a 22 yr old rookie, I don't expect him to be a stud in June OTAs. I do question how he does vs press in the NFL, but he's got the technique/quickness to get off the line vs using brute strength.

I saw the pictures of Solly and he looks 280 to me. Funny he's calling SF lairs over his weight WTF just admit you're wrong it's not a big deal.

Totally!

No surprise he might be initially struggling against a slew of 6'2" 200 pound CB's in tight quarters. Is his body form in-question all of a sudden? We all know he's slightly built...right now. And that's OK. He's a rookie with lots to learn.

The part about ST that cracked me up was when he said he looks like the same size as Blair...isn't Blair 275-280?

Ideally, Pettis was a pick for the future. Lots of first year players bulk up once they get on those NFL styled vitamins! He does know how to win separation with technique, but I'm sure hoping he puts on 15+ pounds between this year and next to help with nfl CBs
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am not sure we needed to move up for him and there are tons of things for him to learn but i think he will be a good wide out for us and a very very good return man

I agree with you cc, I didn't think they needed to move up ( I wanted Anthony Miller). I thought he was gonna be there at 59, but honestly there was questionable picks all over this draft. The great thing was SF had a plethora of draft picks and were able to get the guy they wanted and still come away with 9 players.

It will be a interesting how it plays out 2 yrs from now...I'm still holding onto my Diggs comp
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am not sure we needed to move up for him and there are tons of things for him to learn but i think he will be a good wide out for us and a very very good return man

I agree with you cc, I didn't think they needed to move up ( I wanted Anthony Miller). I thought he was gonna be there at 59, but honestly there was questionable picks all over this draft. The great thing was SF had a plethora of draft picks and were able to get the guy they wanted and still come away with 9 players.

It will be a interesting how it plays out 2 yrs from now...I'm still holding onto my Diggs comp

i whined a bit about trading up but its fine. i like all the secondary guys they got. i whined a bit about our top draft pick but i am coming around. love our l rookie linebacker. i wanted lazard from iowa state who was not even drafted. lol. despite what some think about me. i do listen to others here. i used to think we NEEDED a tall red zone guys but lots of posters have made me understand there are lots of ways to score touchdowns in the red zone without that stuff
Originally posted by genus49:
@ Pettis already getting bullied during OTA'S, also reportedly scared of contact. Not looking good Pettis people.

what contact? there's no contact in these practices

judging a rookie in June OTAs

I'm assuming you've never played football at any level, just because they don't have pads on yet doesn't mean there is no contact

Missed the part of my comment that makes any official judgement just saying it's not looking good so far.

As someone else said...he's a career punt return leader. That's not a position afraid of contact. If he was he'd never be out there on punt returns.

The idea that he's afraid of contact is ridiculous. He doesn't have to be Anquan Boldin out there trucking over defenders to prove he can play.

Maybe he's the career punt return leader because he does "avoid contact"..
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

yeah I've played football buzzy. The issue with the "doesn't like contact BS" is just that BS. you're not getting tackled period. There's nothing to be afraid of when you're running in the middle of the field and no one has pads on, you're not gonna get blindsided or get your legs taken out. DB/LBers are going for the ball dats it.

Kid is the all-time punt return in the NCAA you aren't scared of getting hit and a punt returner
i don't think GM805 played FB or even watched an NFL no pad practice

For the record I've lined up next to and across from an NFL pro bowler.

If you dont think there is contact during OTA'S you're sadly mistaken. You think the WRs and DBS aren't allowed to touch each other during 7 on 7's?
If there's nothing to be afraid of the fact that he's showing fear going over middle is even more concerning, you just made a point for me

As a football player it's natural to want contact, unless you're a puss. That's why everyone is so pumped to put the pads on to begin with.

Being a punt returner doesn't mean you're not afraid to get hit watch him run, he runs like a terrified deer. You can tell he hates contact, which actually helps him. He's running for his life

show me a video of him being afraid to catch a ball in the middle of the field, show me what good ol' grant is talking about in this practice....I believe nothing he says and you'd do yourself a favor in doing the same.

it's a f**king OTA practice in June dude...I know you want him to fail so bad, but how about we watch some real football.

LOL yeah your right you gotta be a puss and afraid of contact to be a punt return....derp.

Hey if running like a terrified deer get's you 17 TDs in 2016 works for me.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Ideally, Pettis was a pick for the future. Lots of first year players bulk up once they get on those NFL styled vitamins! He does know how to win separation with technique, but I'm sure hoping he puts on 15+ pounds between this year and next to help with nfl CBs

Why does he need to put on 15 pounds? Antonio Brown and numerous other receivers play in the 180s and do more than fine. Look at his frame, Pettis will never win with power. His ticket to success will be superior technique in addition to his dynamic quickess.

Bro, you gotta let go, Pee Wee football was a long time ago.

If you dont think there is contact during OTA'S you're sadly mistaken. You think the WRs and DBS aren't allowed to touch each other during 7 on 7's?

no one...I mean no one said there wasn't "touching" I'm talking about tackling, blindside hits, taking out legs etc. you know s**t you do with pads on.

You want to judge someone based on something someone else said on a JUNE OTA practice

yeah I've played football buzzy. The issue with the "doesn't like contact BS" is just that BS. you're not getting tackled period. There's nothing to be afraid of when you're running in the middle of the field and no one has pads on, you're not gonna get blindsided or get your legs taken out. DB/LBers are going for the ball dats it.

lol, i was at OTAs last Wednesday. i see what goes on.. you sure don't

So you are saying you played in the NFL? Other wise why bring up that comment. When they had the Pro Bowl in Hawaii and people got to meet these players, a lot of people got to line up next to and across a pro bowler, so what?

There is some contact, a little pushing and shoving jockeying for the ball, but I think you are not seeing what the others mean when they contact. There is no hitting, no tackling, NO LAYING the WOOD, no dropping the shoulder and throwing the body. Watch the damn videos that they have been showing in 11 on or even 7 on seven, no collision type contacts is what they are talking about.

Its like holding a girls hand or putting your hand on her shoulder, doesn't mean you've been making it with her.
Originally posted by WildBill:
So you are saying you played in the NFL? Other wise why bring up that comment. When they had the Pro Bowl in Hawaii and people got to meet these players, a lot of people got to line up next to and across a pro bowler, so what?

There is some contact, a little pushing and shoving jockeying for the ball, but I think you are not seeing what the others mean when they contact. There is no hitting, no tackling, NO LAYING the WOOD, no dropping the shoulder and throwing the body. Watch the damn videos that they have been showing in 11 on or even 7 on seven, no collision type contacts is what they are talking about.

Its like holding a girls hand or putting your hand on her shoulder, doesn't mean you've been making it with her.

right, dude just didn't catch a ball in the middle of the field...has nothing to do with "avoiding contact" when there isn't really any true contact to be had. If he get's the alligator arms throughout the season that's different.

yeah I've played football buzzy. The issue with the "doesn't like contact BS" is just that BS. you're not getting tackled period. There's nothing to be afraid of when you're running in the middle of the field and no one has pads on, you're not gonna get blindsided or get your legs taken out. DB/LBers are going for the ball dats it. Who wants contact with no pads in June anyway. f**king stupid.

You basing it on Silver spoon Cohn? Where is F'n video that shows he is afraid of contact? Your last statement is so inane that it shows you never played football! No his running style as a wr is based on his talent to be elusive because he is quick footed, fast and shifty. Ever watch Barry Sanders play? You are trying to avoid being hit/touched because it slows you down and allows the other defenders to catch up and make the tackle while you are trying to get a TD or as much yardage as you can before being tackled. Using his open space ability.

If he was quick but slow then he would have to run over people like Boldin and fight for the ball. He is not a running back and even then that is based on if you are in smash mouth power running game like Jim Harbaugh ran. Then you run thru them like a Bettis, Jim Brown, or John Riggins type..

For the record, you are stupid if you desire contact-if you are injured from concussions or separated shoulder etc., you can't help the team. Injuries shorten your career. also slow guys have to play physical ball, that is why they are known as possession receivers. Dwight Clark, god rest his soul, paid a price for taking those hits.

Pettis playing style is being the elusive type. what you incorrectly call running like a scared deer. You never played real organized football at the HS level or beyond, people know, because if you did, you would know that fielding a punt you have to be fearless so that you don't bobble the ball cause you are worried of a gunner that has a running start to clean your clock.
Share 49ersWebzone