LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 195 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
GC at it again. Noting, like Witherspoon last year, Pettis is built like a varsity high school soccer player (but a lot of rookies grow a ton in year 1 like Witherspoon this year, Kittle. DirtyTini, Colbert, Tartt, etc.). Said he's had nice plays the past two weeks but gets outmuscled by the bigger CB's in tighter quarters (i.e. RZ) and "alligator arms" a few slants inside which he said is odd, because there isn't any contact in OTA's.

Something to monitor esp. if validated by other media guys.

On a funny: he claims no way Thomas is 280...said he took a bunch of pictures to prove he's at most, 265. Playing exclusively at LEO at the moment (nothing inside and covered a TE step for step on a go route yesterday).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 6, 2018 at 6:27 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
GC at it again. Noting, like Witherspoon last year, Pettis is built like a varsity high school soccer player (but a lot of rookies grow a ton in year 1 like Witherspoon this year, Kittle. DirtyTini, Colbert, Tartt, etc.). Said he's had nice plays the past two weeks but gets outmuscled by the bigger CB's in tighter quarters (i.e. RZ) and "alligator arms" a few slants inside which he said is odd, because there isn't any contact in OTA's.

On a funny: he claims no way Thomas is 280...said he took a bunch of pictures to prove he's at most, 265. Playing exclusively at LEO at the moment (nothing inside and covered a TE step for step on a go route yesterday).

I think it's ridiculous to question if a WR is scared of contact when there is no contact AND he's the punt return touchdowns career leader...if you're scared of contact you're NOT returning punts lol.

Dude is a 22 yr old rookie, I don't expect him to be a stud in June OTAs. I do question how he does vs press in the NFL, but he's got the technique/quickness to get off the line vs using brute strength.

I saw the pictures of Solly and he looks 280 to me. Funny he's calling SF lairs over his weight WTF just admit you're wrong it's not a big deal.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think it's ridiculous to question if a WR is scared of contact when there is no contact AND he's the punt return touchdowns career leader...if you're scared of contact you're NOT returning punts lol.

Dude is a 22 yr old rookie, I don't expect him to be a stud in June OTAs. I do question how he does vs press in the NFL, but he's got the technique/quickness to get off the line vs using brute strength.

I saw the pictures of Solly and he looks 280 to me. Funny he's calling SF lairs over his weight WTF just admit you're wrong it's not a big deal.

It is a big deal because GC is NEVER wrong and don't you forget it. He probably still thinks we should have cut Foster the day he was charged.
Originally posted by ltrain:

It is a big deal because GC is NEVER wrong and don't you forget it. He probably still thinks we should have cut Foster the day he was charged.

it's funny he also said he's the same size as Pettis 6-1 185 and he thinks that's a problem for a WR....issue is Grant isn't in shape lol. There's a difference in being 185 and fat and 185 and being in shape. Grant isn't doing off the backboard windmill dunks

Totally!

No surprise he might be initially struggling against a slew of 6'2" 200 pound CB's in tight quarters. Is his body form in-question all of a sudden? We all know he's slightly built...right now. And that's OK. He's a rookie with lots to learn.

The part about ST that cracked me up was when he said he looks like the same size as Blair...isn't Blair 275-280?
Totally!

No surprise he might be initially struggling against a slew of 6'2" 200 pound CB's in tight quarters. Is his body form in-question all of a sudden? We all know he's slightly built...right now. And that's OK. He's a rookie with lots to learn.

The part about ST that cracked me up was when he said he looks like the same size as Blair...isn't Blair 275-280?

Blair was 284 coming out of the combine...I'm guessing he's in that 270-280 range.

Not sure what Grant's problem is why would SF lie about his size? Just to call out Grant lol...dude's gotta get over himself, no one really cares what he says that much.... especially the 49ers
Totally!

Blair was 284 coming out of the combine...I'm guessing he's in that 270-280 range.

Not sure what Grant's problem is why would SF lie about his size? Just to call out Grant lol...dude's gotta get over himself, no one really cares what he says that much.... especially the 49ers

Yeah, he can't own it...now claiming he got the 256 from the Niners website and it was believable to him. Now moving the needle to 265.

It would only matter if the plan is to make ST an every down LEO. That's probably his real angle here.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
@ Pettis already getting bullied during OTA'S, also reportedly scared of contact. Not looking good Pettis people.

what contact? there's no contact in these practices

judging a rookie in June OTAs

I'm assuming you've never played football at any level, just because they don't have pads on yet doesn't mean there is no contact

Go check out your local high school spring football camp
Missed the part of my comment that makes any official judgement just saying it's not looking good so far.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Jun 6, 2018 at 10:54 AM ]
I'm assuming you've never played football at any level, just because they don't have pads on yet doesn't mean there is no contact

Missed the part of my comment that makes any official judgement just saying it's not looking good so far.

yeah I've played football buzzy. The issue with the "doesn't like contact BS" is just that BS. you're not getting tackled period. There's nothing to be afraid of when you're running in the middle of the field and no one has pads on, you're not gonna get blindsided or get your legs taken out. DB/LBers are going for the ball dats it. Who wants contact with no pads in June anyway. f**king stupid.

Kid is the all-time punt return in the NCAA you aren't scared of getting hit and a punt returner
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:09 AM ]
@ Pettis already getting bullied during OTA'S, also reportedly scared of contact. Not looking good Pettis people.

Why would you NOT avoid contact in June OTAs? If he does it in games then that's a problem, but we talking about practice man. What we talking about here, not the game, not games, practice man. We talking about practice man

Yeah, he can't own it...now claiming he got the 256 from the Niners website and it was believable to him. Now moving the needle to 265.

It would only matter if the plan is to make ST an every down LEO. That's probably his real angle here.

Yeah without question that's what it is. I mean if they truly want him on the outside and to get down to 265, I could see a similar player to Brandon Graham. Thomas IMO is a interior pass rusher end of the day, that's where he succeeded in college why the F move him from there.

Makes no sense and I don't think our coaching staff is that stupid.

yeah I've played football buzzy. The issue with the "doesn't like contact BS" is just that BS. you're not getting tackled period. There's nothing to be afraid of when you're running in the middle of the field and no one has pads on, you're not gonna get blindsided or get your legs taken out. DB/LBers are going for the ball dats it.

Kid is the all-time punt return in the NCAA you aren't scared of getting hit and a punt returner
i don't think GM805 played FB or even watched an NFL no pad practice
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am not sure we needed to move up for him and there are tons of things for him to learn but i think he will be a good wide out for us and a very very good return man

As someone else said...he's a career punt return leader. That's not a position afraid of contact. If he was he'd never be out there on punt returns.

The idea that he's afraid of contact is ridiculous. He doesn't have to be Anquan Boldin out there trucking over defenders to prove he can play.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i don't think GM805 played FB or even watched an NFL no pad practice

Dude is just trying to jump on any negative narrative about Pettis, it's pretty clear.

Like 49ers808 stated who in the f**k wants to have full blown contact running in the middle of the field with no pads in June OTAs? Now if we're talking about trying to get off the line vs a DB and you get jammed that's a little different in practice (Grant stated some bigger DBs were able to do that) there was also reports that he was able to smoke people of the line last week and get separation easily.

He's a 22 yr old rookie, let's give the kid a little time here. Good lord.
Share 49ersWebzone