LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 249 users in the forums

Malcolm Butler

Shop 49ers game tickets
Give me Melvin. So we can sign sign the two best OL in FA.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm on board with him coming here...every FA is gonna get overpay you have to except that. Dude was top of the league for 2 of his 3 yrs as a starter and was still solid not great this yr.

He's a smart CB who's well versed in a lot of coverages. Last yr he was in single-high 63% of his snaps and cover 3 23% of the time...he plays bigger than he looks, only issue is he can beat on the long ball which is an issue in our scheme.

I think he's my top FA CB to go after followed by fuller (only really one good yr of football) and Johnson. I wouldn't might Melvin either.
Someone's been listening to the NN podcast.

Lol. Next time just call me and I'll save y'all 20-30 minutes
Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm on board with him coming here...every FA is gonna get overpay you have to except that. Dude was top of the league for 2 of his 3 yrs as a starter and was still solid not great this yr.

He's a smart CB who's well versed in a lot of coverages. Last yr he was in single-high 63% of his snaps and cover 3 23% of the time...he plays bigger than he looks, only issue is he can beat on the long ball which is an issue in our scheme.

I think he's my top FA CB to go after followed by fuller (only really one good yr of football) and Johnson. I wouldn't might Melvin either.

I like that he is able to stay healthy. He's played every game, every year I believe, including a lot of playoff games. That's impressive to me.

Do the Patriots ever go thru years like we do with tons of injuries?

guilty I don't always agree with them but their on point with him though, I also like the fact that he's a winner and has a chip on his shoulder.

What are your thoughts on him vs other FA CBs?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 9, 2018 at 6:19 AM ]

I just listened to it today. Sound points and hard to argue.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-better-rivals-49ers-podcast/id526610855?mt=2
I'd like them to try to sign him for the simple fact that it shows they aren't rigid in their football beliefs.

There are a plethora of great CBs in the upcoming draft that don't fit the prototype but could have success in Saleh's scheme.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 8, 2018 at 9:02 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-better-rivals-49ers-podcast/id526610855?mt=2

Right!? I mean I've watched him a lot based on where I live...dude has instinct and could play in this scheme no problem. Not ideal size/speed, all depends on what this coaching staff values more.

and the price
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Right!? I mean I've watched him a lot based on where I live...dude has instinct and could play in this scheme no problem. Not ideal size/speed, all depends on what this coaching staff values more.

and the price

You said it earlier he's well versed in coverage and a smart player. Zone, Press, Man....he's not going to have an issue with any adjustments in coverage.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Signing Butler and taking another CB in the late 2nd/early 3rd turns a position of weakness into a position of strength and depth.
Originally posted by jcs:
You said it earlier he's well versed in coverage and a smart player. Zone, Press, Man....he's not going to have an issue with any adjustments in coverage.

They break it down pretty well https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-better-rivals-49ers-podcast/id526610855?mt=2

Originally posted by okdkid:
Signing Butler and taking another CB in the late 2nd/early 3rd turns a position of weakness into a position of strength and depth.

I'm down for that grab a guy like Quenton Meeks/Carlton Davis maybe Jaire Alexander drops a little.

• thl408

guilty I don't always agree with them but their on point with him though, I also like the fact that he's a winner and has a chip on his shoulder.

What are your thoughts on him vs other FA CBs?
A high majority of his highlights making a play on the ball is when he's in man coverage. So while he is exposed to many coverages playing in NE, they play lots of man. I don't know if he is as good in zone. The guy has ball skills and that's a skill that's scheme independent. The 49ers have the $ but if he were to be signed I'd be more worried about the contract length. I wouldn't want some mega deal that spans 6 years because CBs over 30 can drop off at any time. But with him being the best free agent CB imo, he is in a position to justifiably demand 5-6 years (He's 28 this March).
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:25 AM ]
A high majority of his highlights making a play on the ball is when he's in man coverage. So while he is exposed to many coverages playing in NE, they play lots of man. I don't know if he is as good in zone. The guy has ball skills and that's a skill that's scheme independent. The 49ers have the $ but if he were to be signed I'd be more worried about the contract length. I wouldn't want some mega deal that spans 6 years because CBs over 30 can drop off at any time. But with him being the best free agent CB imo, he is in a position to justifiably demand 5-6 years (He's 28 this March).

Yeah he's been criminally underpaid for a couple seasons, he might want to go to the highest bidder.

I agree it will be about the contract/length...I don't think he'd have an issue in this scheme. Also depends on if they wait for the draft to grab that CB#1 and go for the lower level vet to sign on the cheap that could be a scheme fit.

Love the off season lol
  • thl408
Yeah he's been criminally underpaid for a couple seasons, he might want to go to the highest bidder.

I agree it will be about the contract/length...I don't think he'd have an issue in this scheme. Also depends on if they wait for the draft to grab that CB#1 and go for the lower level vet to sign on the cheap that could be a scheme fit.

Love the off season lol
Really interesting to see how Lynch/Kyle approach 2018. Are they in "win now" mode because they feel with JG on board, the window is officially open? Or do they take a more methodical approach and don't do anything drastic that might result in regret in 2021 (bad contracts to 30+ year olds)?

I expect Butler to go for the mega deal, as any player should. Assuming that, I'm hoping the 49ers stay away from signing any mega deals and opt to go the second tier route by signing solid vet CBs that don't suck while trying to find guys in the draft. But if Butler will take a 3-4 year deal, awesome. Maybe pay Butler very good money but in exchange keep the contract length reasonable where he won't be a 32 year old CB that can no longer perform to his pay grade.
Anybody who can shatter the Seathots hopes & dreams into a million piece is alright by me. Id take him at the right price
Turmaine Johnson and Kyle Fuller are my top 2 targets but I would be happy if we got Malcolm Butler who would be third on my list.
Share 49ersWebzone